CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

CT200h engine photo !

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-10, 07:48 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

BTW, i think that the Fit and Yaris are subcompacts, is it not?
Old 07-15-10, 08:44 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

hehe 2010 Prius engine just for comparison sake. Separated at birth

Old 07-15-10, 08:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tigmd99
IIHS is NOT government...you're confusing with NHTSA. You didn't know that?!

My point is that making a car light and small may not be a good thing in a crash. I am NOT calling CT200h "micro"...you're missing my point. Lexus is making a big deal about how LIGHTWEIGHT and SMALL this CT200h is. This is great for handling and fuel economy, but there is always a tradeoff. The BIG tradeoff in my mind is crash protection against a bigger vehicle. And where i live (texas), there are plenty of BIG vehicles on the road...most are much bigger than your average Camry/Accord. And as IIHS showed, a bigger vehicle always win in a crash.

I know that you're a BIG Lexus fan (Lexus can't do no wrong, as you have demonstrated on multiple forums), but you need to step back and look at the bigger picture!
I think you need to take a step back here. You clearly missed the point where I said twice I am not denying the laws of physics here. Your point is linking a test about cars SMALLER than the CT and its classmates which is IRRELEVANT . If you showed tests with the A3, 1 series etc it would help your point.

You are damn right I am a Lexus fan and proud of it while being an avid car enthusiast. I am not even defending Lexus here, we are talking about sub compacts vs SUVs/large cars but you miss that point to make personal jabs. I've also pointed out their faults every single time and never claimed they were some untouchable entity I am quite flattered you follow me around on multiple forums. Nor have I pointed out that you seem to like stirring the pot in the HS forum and CT threads.

In summary if you can get past your personal issue with me, you would understand what I am saying is sub-compacts ARE NOT death traps and the assumption that big vehicles=all safer is simpleton propoganda. For example we had some ricer in an Integra racing and hit a huge Ford Excursion, THE LARGEST SUV made here. The Integra left the scene of the accident and sadly the people in the Excursion died.

Again I am not denying the laws of physics either and if you actually read what I am saying you would easily see that. I am not defending the CT, I am talking about the entire luxury sub compact class here. Clearly the CT hasn't even been tested yet.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-15-10 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-15-10, 08:57 PM
LexFather

If you even bothered to check dimensions before going off on your rant, you would see the CT is substantially larger than both.

Honda Fit
Wheelbase (in) 98.4 98.4
Length (in) 161.6 161.6
Height (in) 60.0 60.0
Width (in) 66.7 66.7

Yaris 5 door

Exterior Dimensions (in.)
Overall height 60.0
Overall width 66.7
Overall length 150.6
Wheelbase 96.9

Lexus CT
Overall height 56.3
Overall width 69.5
Overall length 170.1
Wheelbase 102.4
Old 07-16-10, 04:25 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am quite flattered you follow me around on multiple forums. Nor have I pointed out that you seem to like stirring the pot in the HS forum and CT threads.

In summary if you can get past your personal issue with me, you would understand what I am saying is sub-compacts ARE NOT death traps and the assumption that big vehicles=all safer is simpleton propoganda.
Yeah, ok, 1sicklex, i follow you. Ok...the only time that i have "stirred" the pot is in responding to your posts, which i have disagreed with. You can point to whatever thread you are referring to.

My point is that REGARDLESS of size category, a lighter vehicle will lose in a crash. Regardless if A3 has been tested or not, a lighter, smaller vehicle will be on the receiving end of a crash. You stated how you know about this, yet give excuses that A3 has not been tested or that CT200h is different. Those are excuses, no more, no less.

Propaganda? Dude, the government, if anything, should be favoring the small cars due to the recent push for better fuel economy. There is no "simpleton" propaganda going on...just simpleton way of thinking by you.

Let me guess...your next response will be, "I know all about Physics, BUT...."

The Prius did indeed cause me to think long and hard about it before i bought it for the simple reason that it only weighs 3100 lbs. I wish that Lexus made the CT200h about the same size as Prius, but with a more advance powertrain (Li battery). This will make a nice practical car with great handling and great fuel economy. Instead, Lexus has decided to make the car small and lightweight (and low to the ground!) to keep the fuel economy of the Prius. That i think is a bad move from a safety point of view.

Back on topic, here is a question...should people buy CT200h now, knowing that Li-ion battery is just around the corner (2012?)??
Old 07-16-10, 08:10 AM
LexFather

That is not necessarily true that a small car will lose everytime. Are odds against the smaller vehicle? Yes. Are they deathtraps? No. Can the person in the bigger car get more injured? Yes depending on the accident.

The basis for your "proof" has no merit here since you linked an article about vehicles 10 or 20 inches SHORTER and 2-3 inches THINNER than the CT and its like cars. Also luxury vehicles usually have more airbags and higher safety specs.

I'm not some person scared to die in a small car, I am not scared Al Queda is coming to get me, I don't use hand sanitizer every 10 seconds and I refuse to believe small cars are deathtraps.
Old 07-16-10, 08:16 AM
tigmd99
Racer

BTW, when did i mention that they were deathtraps? I am just stating that i wish Lexus did not make the CT200h so small and lightweight (AND low to the ground), as this can be a disadvantage in a crash against a bigger vehicle.

More airbags? Oh yeah, those little knee airbags are gonna change the tide??!!
Old 07-17-10, 05:15 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Forgot to ask, but 1sicklex, what is YOUR proof to back up your statements? Where is the merit in what you wrote? Do you have an physics formula that you can post up?
Old 07-17-10, 08:25 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, was it a head-on crash? You can search Youtube for the videos. Even IIHS admits that small cars need to be better designed for the possibility of crashing into something bigger than them. Yaris failed miserably against Camry. Fit failed miserably against Accord. Smart failed miserably against Mercedes C-class. All of these cars are modern cars. Honda has a very good reputation of making good crash testing cars recently...yet the Fit failed. I am pretty sure that all of these small cars have better designed front-end than your Integra...yet they still did bad against a regular run-of-the-mill midsize sedan.
You know as well as I do, you can search the net and find an argument for any statement you want to try and make a fact.

The crash I was in was my front end making contact at an estimated 40mph with his right front fender and wheel. It was estimated he was doing nearly 50mph. I had no injury's and his passenger was transported with injuries that were not life threatening.

Now remember I was in a small Integra and they were in a full size Lincoln 4dr Continental.
Old 07-18-10, 05:36 AM
tigmd99
Racer

My evidence is not from some obscure internet source...it is from IIHS. Do you guys know IIHS?! It seems like you and 1sicklex don't know IIHS! Search them. They are very reputable in crash testing. And no, they are not government propaganda, as 1sicklex implied.

How old was the lincoln? So, you disagree that a small car will be on the receiving end of a crash with a larger car? A modern large car vs. a modern small car...the large car will win every single time in a head on collision.

How about this...your 2010 RX450h vs. 2011 CT200h...which car do YOU want to be in if both crash into each other in a head-on collision, each traveling 40 mph in opposite direction? Give me your honest answer. I would pick your RX in a heartbeat!

Last edited by tigmd99; 07-20-10 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-18-10, 11:20 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys, can we please get back on topic of the CTh engine? If you want to debate car size safety, PM or starting another thread are options. Thanks.

The engine bay seems nice enough, 'course I'd like to know whether more engine options will be offered.

Last edited by encore888; 07-18-10 at 11:40 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-19-10, 02:49 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

If we could get this with the RX450h engine and an AWD option...
Old 07-23-10, 04:59 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
If we could get this with the RX450h engine and an AWD option...
To fit it in and with AWD, it would have to be a tad bigger. Then you'd have the RX 450h. And when you consider the real time mileage is about 80% of what this will give you then ...

But the CT will surely cost less. And be a real blast to drive. Who knows, I may consider one just for fun.
Old 07-25-10, 06:41 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by Cruiter
To fit it in and with AWD, it would have to be a tad bigger. Then you'd have the RX 450h. And when you consider the real time mileage is about 80% of what this will give you then ...

But the CT will surely cost less. And be a real blast to drive. Who knows, I may consider one just for fun.
I agree...i am most impress with the 2010 RX450h numbers!
Old 09-05-10, 01:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

My evidence is not from some obscure internet source...it is from IIHS. Do you guys know IIHS?! It seems like you and 1sicklex don't know IIHS! Search them. They are very reputable in crash testing. And no, they are not government propaganda, as 1sicklex implied.

How old was the lincoln? So, you disagree that a small car will be on the receiving end of a crash with a larger car? A modern large car vs. a modern small car...the large car will win every single time in a head on collision.

How about this...your 2010 RX450h vs. 2011 CT200h...which car do YOU want to be in if both crash into each other in a head-on collision, each traveling 40 mph in opposite direction? Give me your honest answer. I would pick your RX in a heartbeat!
A bit late but... CTh will weight as much as Camry... do you consider Camry an death trap?

Another thing to note - while crashing into big SUVs is going against small cars (in this case Yaris is considerably smaller car than CTh or A3), crashing against any kind of non movable barrier is going to be much worse in large SUV. You are basically crashing into yourself. In that case, you are actually safer in well designed small car.

Quick Reply: CT200h engine photo !