CT 200h Model (2011-2017)
View Poll Results: Do you think Lexus is moving in the right direction with the design of the CT 200h?
Yes
75.61%
No
24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Officially Official: for US Market CT 200h

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-10, 09:19 AM
TalkLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Officially Official: for US Market CT 200h

Lexus announced on March 22nd that the all-new CT 200h premium compact hybrid will go on sale in the U.S. in early 2011 as the first dedicated hybrid vehicle in the premium compact segment.

The sporty five-door will be on display March 31 through April 11 at the 2010 New York International Auto Show. The new CT 200h debuted at the 2010 Geneva Auto Show in early March and will join the HS 250h as Lexus’ second dedicated hybrid.

“The CT 200h is expected to lead the class in fuel economy and deliver low emissions, but the CT 200h isn’t just about being a hybrid, it’s about having fun,” said Mark Templin, Lexus division group vice president and general manager. “The stylish CT 200h has an attitude and driving dynamic unlike any other Lexus hybrid. It will excite eco-conscious, young consumers and symbolize urban, luxury living.”

To reach this energetic and technology-savvy buyer, Lexus is taking a new approach to marketing the CT 200h. As part of an integrated launch in the U.S., Lexus will release a breakthrough interactive short film that offers a new take on the test drive by providing the viewer a fully immersive way to experience the new Lexus CT 200h.

See the entire Press release at: http://www.lexus.com/about/news/arti...0100322_1.html
Attached Thumbnails Officially Official: for US Market CT 200h-ct200.jpg  
Old 03-23-10, 12:18 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

To answer the poll question...

Yes I think the design of the CT is fine and a similar design wouldn't be bad for the next gen IS. My main concern is if smaller and cheaper is the direction Lexus is going in. I would really like them to stay high end and go further...
Old 03-23-10, 07:45 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
To answer the poll question...

Yes I think the design of the CT is fine and a similar design wouldn't be bad for the next gen IS. My main concern is if smaller and cheaper is the direction Lexus is going in. I would really like them to stay high end and go further...
I agree.

Lexus needs to be MORE differentiated from Toyota models, not less.
Old 03-23-10, 09:14 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

agreed. With the addition of the HS and the CT, it looks like they are sensing that they need to turn down market in order to survive. While I can see why they would do this, I also agree they need to go upmarket at the same time.
Old 03-23-10, 09:22 PM
Dez
Driver

Not a good look. I personally think they should have waiting for the HS to start selling well before bringing another Hybrid-only vehicle to the line-up.
Old 03-23-10, 10:30 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
agreed. With the addition of the HS and the CT, it looks like they are sensing that they need to turn down market in order to survive. While I can see why they would do this, I also agree they need to go upmarket at the same time.
They are hitting both ends of the market for 2011 with the CT & LFA. A little something for everyone.
Old 03-23-10, 11:58 PM
xswl0931
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ntran18
They are hitting both ends of the market for 2011 with the CT & LFA. A little something for everyone.
The reason they are doing this (both CT and LFA) is to get more younger buyers looking at Lexus.
Old 03-24-10, 03:59 AM
JessePS

If the price point is right. This baby will sell like hot cakes here in Montreal.

I hope the basic model (premium) starts at C$32,000 and the premium luxury model starts at C$35,000, so it under cuts the Audi A3 TDI by C$3000.

I just can't wait to hear about the features and what not. I hope 10-airbags standard. I hope some tech goodies found in the Prius and other hybrid and non-hybrid models. Like Lane Keep Assist and what not.
Old 03-24-10, 06:12 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like it will come with 8 airbags based on the news release.
Old 03-24-10, 08:04 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I don't quite see the argument that Lexus isn't going upmarket enough.

In the last 3 years got the LFA, the LS 460L, LS 600hL, ISF, and LX 570 (which is a $90K SUV). The new SC is on the horizon as well.

Short of a GS coupe, GSF, or LSF, what more is there to accomplish?
Old 03-24-10, 09:34 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

In the last 3 years got the LFA, the LS 460L, LS 600hL, ISF, and LX 570 (which is a $90K SUV). The new SC is on the horizon as well.

You're right, but also in that time we've had the ES positioned to a lower price point, the introduction of the HS, and now the CT200h on the horizon.

Lexus still doesn't have the panache of the German brands yet so now is not a time to settle and expand downmarket. They need to strengthen their products in the $40+K segments. The only products doing ok are the LUVs and the LS. The SC and GS have had a hard time, and Lexus doesn't compete in every upmarket segment yet (meaning GS-F, IS Coupe, roadsters etc etc).

They will have 5 products in the sub $40K arena and only 5 over $40K (2 of which are doing well, 2 of which are slow sellers, and 1 which isn't even a volume vehicle).
Old 03-24-10, 12:03 PM
LexFather

We cannot forget the CAFE standards that are coming. I would imagine if this car was for Europe only people would moan "why don't they bring that to America/North America"

Luxury in many ways is going small. From what I can tell in pictures this is no rebadge at all and it genuinely looks like a premium effort like a A3 or so.

That said without knowing MPG figures and some performance figures I can't really judge it yet.

I was very vocal in the past about Lexus and any company going downmarket but I understand it now. Like MP said Lexus has also gone significantly up in price and market where they hopefully can sell this without hurting image (outside of internet dummies).
Old 03-24-10, 08:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

A "super LS" is still something left to accomplish, something one step higher than the LS600hL.

On top of what you mentioned, a GSF coupe along with a hybrid LX is something yet to be accomplished.

I don't think it's currently possible for Toyota to package their hybrid system into the LX without compromising it's off-road and extreme conditions durability, or it's interior space.
Old 03-25-10, 12:12 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus needs to keep the balance - and Long as there are more "F" models along with gas savers - the balance will remain
Old 03-26-10, 02:33 PM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I dig it...

...but them describing this car as "fun" while only being equal to the Prius in power is utter nonsense. the hs is a slug and its got more power. i don't expect a racecar at a low pricepoint, but it REALLY needs to BE fun in order for me to get one...and i'd really like to get one.

Quick Reply: Officially Official: for US Market CT 200h