CT 200h Model (2011-2017)
View Poll Results: Do you think Lexus is moving in the right direction with the design of the CT 200h?
Yes
75.61%
No
24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Officially Official: for US Market CT 200h

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-10, 11:09 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by umpalumpa
...but them describing this car as "fun" while only being equal to the Prius in power is utter nonsense. the hs is a slug and its got more power. i don't expect a racecar at a low pricepoint, but it REALLY needs to BE fun in order for me to get one...and i'd really like to get one.
Yes...

I think a hybrid setup with the 2.5L IS250 engine would be nice. Since it would be coupled with the electric motors, it will put out more HP than it does in its current setup (204hp) ... im hoping it would be in the ~235-240 hp territory
Old 03-27-10, 08:42 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

sure, lexus has got some upmarket models, but will upmarket buyers want to be in the same dealership as the downmarket cars?

Im not saying this is my opinion, but I can see how these lower models may tarnish the luxury nameplate that lexus has come to be known as in the US. While it is true that in the past 3 years we have seen the LS, LX, etc etc, in the past year, we have only seen the HS, a lower priced RX, the ISC, and the CT which are all arguably "down" market
Old 03-29-10, 11:41 AM
Aegee14
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the CT is definitely part of the downmarket. I'm not sure how they even market the CT as a fun, nimble car while using the same powerplant as the Prius. Plus, the heavier CT will make that engine seem even less powerful. I can imagine when two people try to race the Prius vs CT head on just for the sake of it, and the Prius winning.

Let's not forget the lack of power-adjustable seats in a luxury, Lexus car! Really? Really? No power seats in a luxury car?
Old 03-29-10, 01:53 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aegee14
Well, the CT is definitely part of the downmarket. I'm not sure how they even market the CT as a fun, nimble car while using the same powerplant as the Prius. Plus, the heavier CT will make that engine seem even less powerful. I can imagine when two people try to race the Prius vs CT head on just for the sake of it, and the Prius winning.

Let's not forget the lack of power-adjustable seats in a luxury, Lexus car! Really? Really? No power seats in a luxury car?
There will be driver side power seats...

But as for your other concerns they are completely valid, and that could make or break the car.
Old 03-30-10, 11:21 AM
TalkLexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear wipper on the CT 200h

Looks like the rear wiper will not be hidden... for the time being.
Attached Thumbnails Officially Official: for US Market CT 200h-ct.jpg  
Old 04-01-10, 01:04 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

No power seats? Really? Did you bother to check the specs for the driver's seat?

Also, can you tell us how you know the CT's curb weight? You must have some great inside sources .

Your post is full of unwarranted assumptions, and very lacking in facts.
Old 04-02-10, 08:19 AM
Aegee14
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
No power seats? Really? Did you bother to check the specs for the driver's seat?

Also, can you tell us how you know the CT's curb weight? You must have some great inside sources .

Your post is full of unwarranted assumptions, and very lacking in facts.
Okay, when I mentioned no power seats, I should've been more specific and said the passenger side does not have power seats. If non-luxury cars have power seats on both sides, I expect a luxury car to do so as well.

You're right, I do not know the curb weight since Lexus has conveniently left off only the curb weight number from the website. But I expect it to be heavier due to all the extra stuff the CT has compared to the Prius, ie. more instrumentation inside the cabin (less empty space), hopefully less plastic use inside the cabin, a whole lot of sound dampening material everywhere, 17 in. std. wheels vs 15 in. std. wheels (except for the Prius V version), and the independent double wishbone rear suspension vs the Prius's torsion beam rear suspension.
Old 04-02-10, 08:59 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I honestly like where lexus is going. I understand, it is a high end automaker, and brand prestiege is one of its selling points.

That said, I think its good for them to offer some lower priced, more economical solutions that are within reach of some of the lower middle class. (i.e. cars that cost LESS than 32000 US. even if its only one model).

Is this going to be based off of the Venza platform? or the Prius? or what? Honestly, by the time you completely FULLY load a camry, you might as well have gotten an ES350.
Old 04-02-10, 11:23 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Okay, when I mentioned no power seats, I should've been more specific and said the passenger side does not have power seats. If non-luxury cars have power seats on both sides, I expect a luxury car to do so as well.

You're right, I do not know the curb weight since Lexus has conveniently left off only the curb weight number from the website. But I expect it to be heavier due to all the extra stuff the CT has compared to the Prius, ie. more instrumentation inside the cabin (less empty space), hopefully less plastic use inside the cabin, a whole lot of sound dampening material everywhere, 17 in. std. wheels vs 15 in. std. wheels (except for the Prius V version), and the independent double wishbone rear suspension vs the Prius's torsion beam rear suspension.
Passenger power seats might be offered in the future, we shall see.

As for the curb weight assumptions compared to the Prius, you're not looking at all the facts.

The CT is more than 5 inches shorter than the Prius, less than 1 inch wider, and over 2 inches lower.

Fact is, the CT is quite a bit smaller than the Prius. Any added equipment or technology that the CT has over the Prius will be offset by the fact that the car is smaller. Also I bet the CT uses more aluminum in it's construction than the Prius does, which would also help reduce weight.

Rumor has it that the electric motors in the CT are slightly more powerful than in the Prius.
Old 04-02-10, 11:54 AM
Aegee14
Rookie

Passenger power seats might be offered in the future, we shall see.

As for the curb weight assumptions compared to the Prius, you're not looking at all the facts.

The CT is more than 5 inches shorter than the Prius, less than 1 inch wider, and over 2 inches lower.

Fact is, the CT is quite a bit smaller than the Prius. Any added equipment or technology that the CT has over the Prius will be offset by the fact that the car is smaller. Also I bet the CT uses more aluminum in it's construction than the Prius does, which would also help reduce weight.

Rumor has it that the electric motors in the CT are slightly more powerful than in the Prius.
If what you say turns out to be true, I stand corrected. But as what you said regarding my assumptions, what you say about "more aluminum" and "different electric motor" are also unstated "rumors." Okay, the car might be slightly smaller overall; but, cannot say exactly how much since height doesn't account for clearance of each car. If you just multiply length x width, the prius covers 2% more area.

CONCLUSION (I will end this silly convo.): No one knows anything since Lexus is not revealing any informative facts/numbers.
Old 04-03-10, 01:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If what you say turns out to be true, I stand corrected. But as what you said regarding my assumptions, what you say about "more aluminum" and "different electric motor" are also unstated "rumors." Okay, the car might be slightly smaller overall; but, cannot say exactly how much since height doesn't account for clearance of each car. If you just multiply length x width, the prius covers 2% more area.

CONCLUSION (I will end this silly convo.): No one knows anything since Lexus is not revealing any informative facts/numbers.
Here are more facts: the Prius front end is quite tall. The CT has a very low front end. Point is, the Prius covers more area, and definitely more than 2%.
Old 04-04-10, 04:13 PM
Terrapin
Driver School Candidate

Well, there is a lot of hair-spliting in this thread. Even if the CT is a little lighter than the Prius and slightly more aerodynamic, it still has essentially the same powertrain. My wife has a new 2010 Prius which is a very nice car, but not even remotely "fast". Of course, it is not intended to be driven that way, with the goal to keep the indicator in "Eco" mode as much as possible. The Prius is not a bad handling car, but is no BMW. Let's hope the CT improves on the Prius in both handling and acceleration, if only slightly. Then the question will be how many people, mainly seeking economy, will want to ante up the extra bucks for this car over a Prius?
Old 04-06-10, 09:45 AM
Aegee14
Rookie

This rumor is obviously false. If you look at the pictures taken by flipside909 from the NY kick-off party, there are pictures of the spec sheet on display showing that total HP is 134, which is exactly the same as the Prius. Thus, the safest assumption would be that the same exact gas and electric motor from the Prius is being used.

So, the only way this car is faster than the Prius is to weigh considerably less than the Prius. Does the (barely) smaller body counter all of the suspension and interior upgrades/additions for weight saving? I'm not so sure, but we won't know for sure until Lexus comes out with the figure for total weight. I'm also not sure why Lexus will not announce the weight or MPG figures anywhere when all of the other information regarding the car has been announced.
Old 04-06-10, 10:57 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

well we know that it has a sport mode and when that is activated the power output from the electric motors is increased. The PCU (Power Control Unit) that controls the hybrid system boosts supplied voltage by 150volts to a maximum of 650 volts
Old 04-06-10, 03:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

gearing can also be another factory on performance. hp is only one variable

Quick Reply: Officially Official: for US Market CT 200h