CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-09, 12:08 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"CT", huh? I wonder why they didn't go with "CS" to match the naming habits of the rest of the Lexus sedans.
Old 07-28-09, 12:11 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in how it will look.
Old 07-31-09, 02:52 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's interesting, the naming choice. If this were a subcompact sedan below the IS, then CS would be appropriate. But as a hatch, it is something different and 'SportCross' didn't quite catch on as a wagon. Lexus has settled on single letters now.

So, going by jruhl4's interesting article, plus the C-Premium rumors, we will possibly see: LF-T concept => CS 300h reveal (or some other #00h).

A bit of slightly juvenile phonology though:

1. Lexus CT will be the reverse of Scion tC.

2. CT sounds like City; apropos since the CT will be for Euro/urban commuters mainly?

3. LF-T sounds like Lefty; it's likely to be a lesser-used LF- designation, e.g. LF-Xh; LF-A being the exception to the rule.

4. IS-T sounds like Ice Tea...will be interesting to see that as well.

5. Lexus compact SUV could be CX? JX? (if analogous to the sedans; the ES/nonexistent EX being the exception)

Anyhow, some idle speculation on my part...
Old 07-31-09, 03:59 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by encore888
3. LF-T sounds like Lefty; it's likely to be a lesser-used LF- designation, e.g. LF-Xh
Wow, I'd forgotten about the hybrid suffix. More likely, it'll be LF-Th. Or, perhaps Autocar got it right and they'll just call the concept C-Premium.

5. Lexus compact SUV could be CX? JX? (if analogous to the sedans; the ES/nonexistent EX being the exception)
I'd definitely say that CX makes more sense for the long-rumored Lexusized RAV4. There's one big rub, though: CX has long been associated with Citroën, and was the model name for their large sedan built from from 1974 to 1991. If the French carmaker still owns the right to the model name, forget about Lexus using it.

JX has long been rumored as a Lexus model name, but for a couple of stillborn models: a Lexus version of the Toyota Sequoia and for a crossover 3-row SUV based on the RWD Lexus IS / GS platform that would've been a production version of the LF-X concept that was an Infiniti FX lookalike.

Anyhow, some idle speculation on my part...
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I enjoy idle speculation myself.
Old 08-01-09, 11:18 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Indeed, a LF-Th is probably coming...

CX also is used for Mazda, which makes it a bit difficult to share...but who knows, if Lincoln got away with the Lincoln LS, perhaps Lexus can make a CX 250. Along with JX, VX has also been rumored.
Old 08-02-09, 02:03 PM
LexFather

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...h-ar77339.html

Seems its real.

Encore, I said from day one it is completely asinine for Scion to not have car names and get letters/numbers like a luxury brand. Plain stupid.

Old 08-02-09, 08:09 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Default Lexus trademarks CT 200h, CT 300h and CT 400h

Toyota Motor Corporation‘s new CEO Akio Toyoda is a young man with plenty of petrol in his veins. One only has to take one look at the official press pictures of him to see this. These have generally centred around a blue racing overall and a fire-breathing Lexus IS-F.

But his company is an evolving one, a company known just as much for its reliable automobiles as it is for hybrid technology. Over recent years Toyota's Lexus division has become a top-three selling premium brand in the US and is growing in a number of other markets as well. But that growth has been somewhat limited partly because Lexus does not play in the fastest growing segment of the premium market. That segment is overrun by cars like the Audi A3 and the BMW 1 Series.

A recent report published in WCF told of how Lexus will soon be offering a competitor for these Germans. What is now more apparent is that the range will be designated as CT in addition to existing IS, GS, RX and LS models. It will also be hybrid-only. Last month the company filed US patents for the words CT 200h, CT 300h and CT 400h. While the Europeans continue reaping diesel rewards, Lexus sees a better opportunity in the hybrid scenario. What these model designations mean is that the CT 200h for instance, will have 2.0-litre performance and good fuel consumption from a smaller engine. Likewise the 400h offers 4.0-litre V8 performance from a smaller engine, likely to be the 3.5-litre found in a number of other Toyota cars. The latter might be compared to current foes like the Audi S3 and the BMW 135i.

A concept version of the Lexus CT will, so goes the rumour, appear at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September, then move to Tokyo in October, possibly to LA in December, Detroit in January 2010 and then Geneva by which time it will be the production version on show.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10907312...0h-and-ct-400h
Old 08-02-09, 09:09 PM
tC350
Driver

I read that CT stands for "Compact Tourer" i.e. a 1-series sized wagon...
Old 08-02-09, 09:17 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...h-ar77339.html

Seems its real.

Encore, I said from day one it is completely asinine for Scion to not have car names and get letters/numbers like a luxury brand. Plain stupid.
Interesting pic! Europe needs smaller cars and this sounds like a potentially good choice for Lexus.

As for the trademarking 200h, 300h, 400h etc. I doubt that we will see all those choices, it's just like how Lexus trademarked LX 550, LX 570, LX 580 etc.

I think it's a worthwhile point of consideration on whether Scion should've used alphanumerics...indeed they are a bit luxury-like (ironically though they don't seem to have fully worked for Acura). Anyhow...

Lexus CT
Lexus XS

These are possible; the first letter use of 'x' does seem edgier a la xB etc.; and originally it was supposed to be Scion xC instead of Scion tC but they ran into trademark issues, probably with the Volvo XC##.
Old 08-02-09, 10:07 PM
LexFather

Interesting pic! Europe needs smaller cars and this sounds like a potentially good choice for Lexus.

As for the trademarking 200h, 300h, 400h etc. I doubt that we will see all those choices, it's just like how Lexus trademarked LX 550, LX 570, LX 580 etc.

I think it's a worthwhile point of consideration on whether Scion should've used alphanumerics...indeed they are a bit luxury-like (ironically though they don't seem to have fully worked for Acura). Anyhow...

Lexus CT
Lexus XS

These are possible; the first letter use of 'x' does seem edgier a la xB etc.; and originally it was supposed to be Scion xC instead of Scion tC but they ran into trademark issues, probably with the Volvo XC##.
I fully expect the HS grill to make it on this car.
Old 08-03-09, 12:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

so a ct would be smaller than the hs250?
Old 08-03-09, 12:27 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

does anyone have any pictures/??
Old 08-03-09, 06:24 AM
FinalBurst
Driver

I thought Lexus was looking for a successor to L-Finesse? It wouldn't be bad if we saw glimpses of its future design language through this car. If they must continue with L-Finesse, please take the nice parts of it (GS, ES, IS, LS).
As for the interior, I hope it's as close to the IS or LS as possible.

Last edited by FinalBurst; 08-03-09 at 06:28 AM.
Old 08-03-09, 07:14 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the front end of the green car pictured.. It reminds me of the IS350.. Lexus needs to stuff the 306hp v6 in it & make a coupe version for the U.S. market.
Old 08-06-09, 08:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it ends up looking anything like this, I will be shocked:

Quick Reply: New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut