CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Remote Starter Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 07:34 AM
MuktownPat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starter Question

I just had my local Lexus Dealer install a Remote Engine Start, which is supposed to operate exactly the same as the Factory Unit. It seems to be working correctly as far as starting the engine, but there is one thing that just doesn't make sense to me and I am wondering if this is normal. When I start it remotely with the headlights in "Auto" position, after it goes through the blinking mode with the parking lights, all lights go off while the car is running. I find this very frustrating if I look out the window and, other that the exhaust, it is very difficult to tell if the vehicle is still running. I called the Lexus 800 number and they agreed that the lights should come on if set to automatic and I should contact the Dealer. The Dealer disagrees and sad that it is normal that they don't come on and this is a way to determine if it was started remotely or with the key. I've owned other non-Lexus vehicles with remote starts and they all remote started with the lights on if set to auto. Does anyone else have a remote start who can share with me how yours work???
Old 03-20-17, 07:53 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts

Mine is run through the factory key fob as well.

Mine operates as follows:

1. hit the lock button three times, the parking lights will blink for a few seconds and then remain on, while the DRL Leds stay lit and the car starts up.
2. After a few minutes (or longer if the weather is cold) the car will shut off to conserve fuel.
3. At this point you can either remote start again (I usually rarely do this) and follow steps 1-2.
IF
you happen to open your doors (driver or passenger, not the trunk) - the car will automatically shut off as a safety feature and the lights (parking and led DRL) will do so as well. My car's lights are set in auto as well, and during remote start, they never turn on until I get in the car and manually start the car again.

It's a gripe but at the same time, I don't mind too much.. I kind of like just having the DRLs on so I'm not blinding the rest of my neighborhood when the car is warming up on the driveway (reverse parked).
Old 03-20-17, 08:07 AM
MuktownPat
Driver School Candidate

tofuprod, thank you for getting back to me! On mine, none of the lights stay on while the engine is running, not even the DRL's. I just want something on so that I can look out the window and know that it is running. So, if I understand correctly, as long as the car is running your DRL's stay lit, correct?
Old 03-20-17, 08:28 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by MuktownPat
tofuprod, thank you for getting back to me! On mine, none of the lights stay on while the engine is running, not even the DRL's. I just want something on so that I can look out the window and know that it is running. So, if I understand correctly, as long as the car is running your DRL's stay lit, correct?
Yes, you are correct.

In the front, the DRL leds stay on along with the side accent light on both the front courtesy (it's a tiny led that shines near the reflector within the headlight in the corner) and back courtesy (back tail light in the corner as well) lights.

The actual headlights/low/high/fog beams and the rear tail lights remain off throughout the entire runtime of the car being remote started.

DRL leds and accent lights as mentioned above all shut off upon termination of remote start cycle, or when the doors are opened (minus the trunk).
The following users liked this post:
MuktownPat (03-20-17)
Old 03-20-17, 08:33 AM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine do not start either, what year is your CT?

I do not have any lights on with remote start, does not bother me
Old 03-20-17, 08:45 AM
MuktownPat
Driver School Candidate

Mine is a 2014, how about yours?
Old 03-20-17, 09:03 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Muktown, just to let you know my CT is a 2012. Oem halogen housing.
Shouldn't be a setup that is any different than yours.
The following users liked this post:
MuktownPat (03-20-17)