CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Happy with your CT 200h?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 01:42 PM
Bati
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy with your CT 200h?

Hey Folks! I'm currently in search of a 2014 CT 200h to replace our old Toyota Matrix. I test driven it this past weekend, and it felt a bit lacking in power, so wanted to ask you guys for your opinion on this car's performances.

First thing -- The whole purpose of this buy is gas efficiency and Lexus luxury. I'm not interested in high speeds and being the first one out of the red light - I commute with my wife 70 miles per day, driving through the California Malibu Canyons, and our Matrix (2005) feels a bit out-dated for our likes. I love Lexus (own a GX 470), so this was a natural move for us, looking for a hybrid. But as I said, when I test driven it, it felt with less power than my Matrix. I've asked the sales guy about it, and his response was "Well, this is a 1.6L", which is a big BS, because it says its a 1.8L --> I'm not wrong here, right?

So what do you guys think of this car?
Old 02-22-17, 06:13 AM
FURAIBO
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bati
I'm not interested in high speeds and being the first one out of the red light - I commute with my wife 70 miles per day, driving through the California Malibu Canyons
I'm sure CT owners will chime in regarding their long-term experience, but for a daily commute, I found the CT perfectly suited.
I drove the car for about three months day-to-day. This period included a couple trips on countryside roads and two long trips on the German Autobahn. I didn't encounter any situation where I felt a lack of power - didn't feel the need to push it over 100mph either
What modes did you choose when test driving the car? The engine is indeed a 1.8l.
Old 02-22-17, 07:02 AM
Bati
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Thanks - that helps. Not sure about the modes as I am new to the whole hybrid idea .. it was just a 10 min test drive. We ended up not buying that one, so I guess I get to test drive some more :-)
Old 02-22-17, 08:44 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

If you go into the purchase and knowing that you're not going to have a sports car you will be fine. The only downside to the car that we've noticed in several months of ownership is the less power than our IS350. In all honesty, if you put it in sport mode it does make it a little bit quicker and makes getting onto busy highway is that much easier ( I wouldn't say you need to do this though). We haven't gotten around to putting a roof rack on it yet, but we have been able to fit four snowboards and four people comfortably.

we have the F sport model which I believe makes the suspension slightly more firm, which actually makes it pretty fun to drive. You still have all the luxuries of a Lexus model, maybe not on the level of the LS or your GX, but still very comfortable.

no regrets on buying it, and have even recommended several other family members who are in the market to buy one.

On your next test drive just throw it into sport mode and hit the gas, it's not as slow as it's made out to be!

Any other specific questions since the dealer doesn't quite know what they are talking about?
Old 02-22-17, 08:50 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Yes...the engine is a 1.8L.

The CT is not an Autobahn Cruiser, nor is it a stop light to stoplight racer. It wasn't meant to be. What it IS, is a perfectly fine commuter - highway or city. More than enough power to do what is required of it. Even in ECO mode, it's fine. Keep in mind that this car is a 0-60 in over 10 sec performer. That SOUNDS terrible, but keep in mind that into the 90's that was about average for any car. My wife's CT can cruise all day long (and has) at 75-80 mph. Do I prefer my LS460? Oh hell yeah...but there are occasions where I curse the CT's fuel economy that my LS doesn't get, and a tinge of jealous creeps in.

Last edited by roadfrog; 02-22-17 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-22-17, 08:56 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts
Exclamation

Hey Folks! I'm currently in search of a 2014 CT 200h to replace our old Toyota Matrix. I test driven it this past weekend, and it felt a bit lacking in power, so wanted to ask you guys for your opinion on this car's performances.

First thing -- The whole purpose of this buy is gas efficiency and Lexus luxury. I'm not interested in high speeds and being the first one out of the red light - I commute with my wife 70 miles per day, driving through the California Malibu Canyons, and our Matrix (2005) feels a bit out-dated for our likes. I love Lexus (own a GX 470), so this was a natural move for us, looking for a hybrid. But as I said, when I test driven it, it felt with less power than my Matrix. I've asked the sales guy about it, and his response was "Well, this is a 1.6L", which is a big BS, because it says its a 1.8L --> I'm not wrong here, right?

Here is my take.
1. If you go into this car thinking you're going to get a sports car, you'll be sorely mistaken.
2. I already own a sports car, this being my 9th vehicle and all previous being sports cars or sport coupes, this was a refreshing experience as I wanted an extra vehicle for a daily, specifically, a daily.

Most of the car reviews that criticize this vehicle all say about the same, that it's lacking in power. I've had my 2012 CT200h FSport SE up on the highways and even superhighways without problems; merging, passing, etc. Ranging from having it in "eco" to "normal" to also "sport" mode. No problems. I also think if you buy a hybrid (sans NSX, 918, etc..) and are looking to get some sort of serious "performance" factor, you're in the wrong market, in my opinion.

Also, Matrix? Yes they have a 1.6, but the CT200h is also a heavier car, think about the hybrid battery pack. The ct200h (even base model) handles quite well especially in sport mode, my f sport has adjustable sway bars so that helps too. I've driven my aunt's 2005 Matrix (not XRS, not sure when that was offered or if it even was) and I believe it was a base model, but it was decent on gas but certainly nothing to write home about, it's good for commuting but the CT200H adds more spirit.. which to me was key. It is far more refined.

I chose the CT200h like I said for a good daily, and it's PERFECT for that, honestly I enjoy it more than my twisty-carving built S2000 that I drive. It's extremely comfortable, extremely reliable like my other vehicles, and the parts while aren't "top-notch" in comparison to let's say your GX or even a LS, they are no slouch either, if anything I think they are of better quality than the older IS (I also owned a first gen IS, terrible quality in the long run).

The CT200h for me is a gorgeous car, and I was never quite keen on hatchbacks until my girlfriend got one (she has a 2014 Elantra GT), and when I shopped around, the interior and overall exterior of my 2012 really just grew on me hard, and I never regretted purchasing my 2012 just this past May. In fact, I regret not doing it earlier.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-22-17, 09:36 AM
Bati
Driver School Candidate

You guys are awesome!! Thank you very much for this input as I'm heading into buying this with much more confidence now.

Although some of you mention the sports version of the CT 200 (and we're looking to buy the basic model), I still make it from your comments that we'll be fine.

Thanks again.
Old 02-22-17, 01:36 PM
SweetWater
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in the same boat before I got my CT. I just purchased mine last month, It's also an F sport, but it's mainly an aesthetics option. There are F sport springs and sway bars available to tighten things up a bit more. I am a car collector and own some very quick cars. For my daily commute I wanted something that was good on gas, reliable and have slight more luxury. The CT fits those marks perfectly. It is NOT fast by any means but it's a very solid car.
Old 02-22-17, 02:00 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Agree with pretty much everything stated. When we purchased we test drove an F sport and a non F sport.. to me they ride the same. We got the F-sport because we wanted ultrasonic blue. The acceleration is perfect for daily driving.
Old 02-23-17, 12:40 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

If your expectations are in line, then you will be OK. I have a RCF to toss around when I feel the urge to do so.

I've taken my 2013 CT200h many times (non F Sport, but fully loaded, except HUD) from SoCal THROUGH I5 going north bound "Grapevine" going up step mountains with like 6% grade. I put it in SPORT mode and pedal to the metal (it's got CVT transmission)......And go. Enough power that I was passing others.

If you keep the pedal to the metal going uphill, you will only get like 29 mpg!!!

Old 02-23-17, 09:02 AM
humbak
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got 2,9kkm with my CT, brand new purchased Dec 07, 2016. What can I say? This is really CT (CiTi) car. When I have to move around the city, works like charm. 5,5 l/100km (52mpg) in traffic is something I expected. Same outside the city. Maybe due to cold weather ...
Sometimes I switch to sport mode. And back to normal. Eco? Only when streets are totally jammed.

+1 Happy
Old 02-23-17, 11:50 AM
FURAIBO
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

@Bati: On more thing to consider, as lexusrus already mentioned above, the Lexus CT does not offer a "traditional" transmission, but rather a CVT (you can find additional opinions here).

Apart from the CT I also test-drove the IS 300h, which afaik is not available in North America, and I didn't like the continuous background noise and lack of "traditional" feedback throughout CVT acceleration. This, however, is a very subjective topic and I am biased against CVT. Yet it's worth considering the CVT during your next test-drive, which hopefully last longer than 10 min. Fyi, I drove the base model trim and enjoyed a "sporty feel" at times. Then again, the F Sport trim may provide the best price-profit ratio.
Old 02-23-17, 06:18 PM
qtpie
Driver School Candidate

I've been an owner of Lexii for quite a while. Bought our '93 LS 400 brand new, got an '01 IS300, '03 RX300, and just got a CT200h F-sport. Having said all this, I have have driven most of the Lexus line throughout time. I moved into the city of Seattle from the suburbs, and the LS400 tranny has passed away recently; this forced me into purchasing a small car for myself. I test drove a CT200h to see if its lack of power was truly an issue, and it seemed to be a non factor. Coming most recently from the inline 6 of the IS300 with many mods, I could obviously feel the lack of acceleration, but I'm nearly 30 now, and going fast is not really something that is a priority.

My priorities in looking for a new car were organized as such:
1. Compact car that is easy to park in the city
2. Must be a hatchback that can fit my 50lb dog
3. Must be good looking.

The CT was actually very appealing to me from a visual perspective and after owning it for 2 months now i'm happy that I've made the switch to a hybrid. It is small enough to park in small spots in the city, big enough to house 4 adults, can lay the seats flat to accommodate my dog, and was a great asset to have during my move to a different part of the state. I'm glad to have stayed true to my families devotion to the Lexus brand.
Old 02-25-17, 06:46 AM
bring
Driver School Candidate

When I was 30, I bought a BMW 3 series.

Now that I'm 47 with 2 growing kids, I bought a CT.

Priorities change.

If your commute is long open highway, this isn't the car for you. If your commute is stop and go traffic, it's definitely worth a test drive.

Last edited by bring; 02-25-17 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-25-17, 07:20 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

True that.

For open highways, may I suggest the RCF!!! 👍👍👍👍

Originally Posted by bring
When I was 30, I bought a BMW 3 series.

Now that I'm 47 with 2 growing kids, I bought a CT.

Priorities change.

If your commute is long open highway, this isn't the car for you. If your commute is stop and go traffic, it's definitely worth a test drive.

Quick Reply: Happy with your CT 200h?