CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Am I ordering correctly? Morimoto HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 11:02 AM
ams30gts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I ordering correctly? Morimoto HIDs

Well. I installed some LED headlights and am not very happy with how it shines. The beam is so low it's dangerous. Those are going on Ebay and now I'm going for some HIDs. Just had a couple questions as I see conflicting information.

Will the HIDs shine higher? This is my main concern.
Is there a different kit recommended that's cheaper?

I am looking at the Morimoto HIDs. So far this is what I have in my cart. Please let me know if I am getting the correct things.

Morimoto 35W AMB Ballasts
Canbus Wire Harness (hearing mixed thoughts if this is needed)(If I enter my car info on their site, it only gives me the option to buy the canbus)
H11B 5500K
Anti-Flicker Capacitor Link (is this needed?)

Am I ordering correctly? I have a 2013 CT with factory halogens

Last edited by ams30gts; 02-06-17 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-05-17, 10:23 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Which LED did you get?

The LED bulbs I got are brighter and higher output and shines further even compared to the OEM HID'S on my RX450h and LX570. ALTHOUGH NIT AS BRIGHT AS MY TRIPLE BEAM LED'S MY RCF

Originally Posted by ams30gts
Well. I installed some LED headlights and am not very happy with how it shines. The beam is so low it's dangerous. Those are going on Ebay and now I'm going for some HIDs. Just had a couple questions as I see conflicting information.

I am looking at the Morimoto HIDs. So far this is what I have in my cart. Please let me know if I am getting the correct things.

Canbus Wire Harness
H11B 5500K
Anti-Flicker Capacitor Link

Old 02-05-17, 12:43 PM
ams30gts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Which LED did you get?

The LED bulbs I got are brighter and higher output and shines further even compared to the OEM HID'S on my RX450h and LX570. ALTHOUGH NIT AS BRIGHT AS MY TRIPLE BEAM LED'S MY RCF

I have the OPT7 FluxBeam X LED

I really like everything other than it shines way too low.

Old 02-06-17, 02:35 AM
ams30gts
Driver School Candidate

Anyone please?
Old 02-06-17, 06:31 AM
Negative1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get a good kit that does not require any of the extra pieces that you named above. Stroll through the Vendor Marketplace and see what they have to offer.

Also, there is a thread about a set of Ebay LED's that someone reviewed and was very pleased with the quality/light output. You may have to go a few pages back in this section.
Old 02-06-17, 06:41 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Those other harnesses/components are for other car manufacturers that have sensitive lighting systems. All you need is the pair of ballasts, bulbs, and I'd suggest the standard HD wire harness. Morimoto has some excellent products. I've had many great experiences with their products.
Old 02-06-17, 09:53 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The LED you got has a fan which will tend to fail prematurely and tend to blow water into the light housing when it is raining or get wet. Get the FANLESS type.

This is the one I would go with click below. The ones I bought over two years ago was discontinued and an updated and even brighter with higher output is below.

Amazon Amazon

See below for pics I had posted on this CT200h forum for my 2013 CT200h.......These project very far and well. I have some cut off pics inside my garage which I can't find right now. I'll post later.

EDIT: Pics of aftermarket LED low beam and fog lights cutoff below:

Aftermarket LED LOW BEAMS AND LED FOGS ON.
Aftermarket LED LOW BEAMS ON only.
Aftermarket LED LOW BEAMS AND OEM HALOGEN HIGH BEAMS ON. LED FOGs off.

More pics (links below) of my aftermarket LED LOW BEAM and FOG lights from the "DRIVER SEAT LOOKING OUT":

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=398449&d=1478182114

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=398450&d=1478182114

Last edited by lexusrus; 02-07-17 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-06-17, 11:12 AM
ams30gts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
Those other harnesses/components are for other car manufacturers that have sensitive lighting systems. All you need is the pair of ballasts, bulbs, and I'd suggest the standard HD wire harness. Morimoto has some excellent products. I've had many great experiences with their products.

Why does Morimoto recommend me to use the CANBUS harness? I emailed them directly.
Old 02-06-17, 02:22 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

IDK. Maybe so you won't get an error code on your dash display?

Why does Morimoto recommend me to use the CANBUS harness? I emailed them directly.
Old 02-07-17, 12:42 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Did you "orientate" the LED bulbs in correctly? Meaning after you turn the LED bulb and lock it into the light housing, the two LED light modules on the LED stick on the bulb should be facing left and right NOT up and down which will cause the exact same problem you are describing.

But I see the LED bulbs you got have fans which will fail and blow water and moisture into your light housing and cause condensation problems.

Canbus Wire Harness (hearing mixed thoughts if this is needed)(If I enter my car info on their site, it only gives me the option to buy the canbus)
H11B 5500K
Anti-Flicker Capacitor Link (is this needed?)

Old 02-07-17, 04:51 PM
ams30gts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Did you "orientate" the LED bulbs in correctly? Meaning after you turn the LED bulb and lock it into the light housing, the two LED light modules on the LED stick on the bulb should be facing left and right NOT up and down which will cause the exact same problem you are describing.

But I see the LED bulbs you got have fans which will fail and blow water and moisture into your light housing and cause condensation problems.

Hmm, I didn't adjust anything. They only go in one way and I didn't know they needed adjustment after that.

Either way, they are for sale on Ebay. Already ordered the Morimoto with the CANBUS because that's what TRS and Morimoto both told me to get.
Old 02-07-17, 10:54 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Good luck with HID.

BTW,. LEDs are in while HIDs are out. My RCF's got OEM optional TRIPLE BEAM LEDs. Heck, even the Toyo Corrolla got OEM LEDs on the low beams as standard.

Maybe your headlights need adjustment up and down?

Good luck

Hmm, I didn't adjust anything. They only go in one way and I didn't know they needed adjustment after that.

Either way, they are for sale on Ebay. Already ordered the Morimoto with the CANBUS because that's what TRS and Morimoto both told me to get.
Old 02-11-17, 06:36 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Here are pics I just took earlier this am before sunrise of my CT200h AFTERMARKET LED LOW BEAMS AND FOG LIGHTS from the point of view at the driver seat looking out through the windshield as one would be looking while driving.

With BOTH AFTERMARKET low beam LED and fog light LED on in almost complete darkness.

As you can see the latest generation of AFTERMARKET LED BULBS punched through very very far indeed.

I zoomed in on the pic where the speed limit 35 mph and further behind on the yellow diamond sign and BEYOND.......MY AFTERMARKET LED LOW BEAMS AND LED FOG LIGHTS STILL PUNCHED THROUGH (you can see ALL THE ROAD SIGNS AND GROUND REFLECTIVE MARKERS LIGHT UP). PLEASE see below:

As a comparison, I'll do a follow-up pic with my RX450h and LX 570 with OEM HID low beams when I have some time.

Last edited by lexusrus; 02-12-17 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-11-17, 11:05 PM
ams30gts
Driver School Candidate

Yours look way better than mine. I'm posting another thread with a beamshot comparison between the Opt7 FluxBeam X vs Morimoto Elite HID.
Old 02-11-17, 11:57 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I think the newer LEDs are getting much better. Of course the "cheap aftermarket LEDs" like the ones I have $79 for a pair WILL NOT even remotely equal the OEM LEDs like the OEM triple beam LEDs as on my RCF. The triple beam LEDs on the RCF is very sharp and project extremely well and amazing.

I think even the current new generation of LEDs are surpassing some of the OEM HIDs. That's why some car manufacturers like Lexus is switching to LEDs.

What I'm wondering is how my cheap aftermarket LEDs on my CT200h compares to the OEM HIDs on my RX450h and my LX570. I'll have to take more pics at night and see.

Yours look way better than mine. I'm posting another thread with a beamshot comparison between the Opt7 FluxBeam X vs Morimoto Elite HID.