CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Can't Decide - CT 200h vs IS 250

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 08:31 AM
maxutil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Decide - CT 200h vs IS 250

I'm about to go to the dealership, and I'm going to test drive both cars. I'm going pre-owned in either case with similar miles. Probably a 2014. I'm coming from a 2008 Infiniti G37S with 330hp and 2 doors. Both of these cars will be slow compared to it, but I've started to have some problems with my G37 so I'm moving over to Toyota/Lexus for a long ownership period.

The cars are very different but I like both. There are pros and cons to each. Has anyone switched from one to the other and what do you think about them?
Old 01-21-17, 10:20 AM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a 2012 IS350 AWD and a 2014 ct200h fsport, the best part about the 350 is the speed but if you are going 250, that's a major blow to the IS. Between the 2 I would vote the CT. The rear seat is larger, more cargo (I can fit 4 people and snowboarding equipment comfortably) and you get good fuel economy.

If you would opt for the IS350, that would get my vote every time.
Old 01-21-17, 12:06 PM
krnb0iek
Driver School Candidate

Similar situation as you. I had an 08 G37 coupe and traded it in for a 2014 CT200 f-sport about 6 months ago. The CT is great on gas mileage, but you will definitely notice the big power loss. But if your main goal is to save gas, then the trade off in power loss won't be as bad and will be more tolerable.

I've driven the IS250 several times as dealership loaners. To me, the IS feels more refined than the CT. Interior materials seem nicer and the seating position felt a bit more comfortable and not as crammed to me (6'0" male with normal build).

If if I had to do it again, I would probably still choose the CT. The car is a bit small and slow for my liking, but the gas savings and versatility of the hatchback/cargo space make up for it. However, it's ultimately up to you and what you're looking for in a car.
Old 01-21-17, 04:47 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I had both the '11 CT (you can search it in this forum) and '14 IS 250 (in the 3IS forum) and loved them both. Of course, two very different cars on form factor, size, performance, and fuel economy.

What I loved about the CT was the challenge to improve my fuel economy. It was like a game to better my "score" every drive. I found sweet spots like employing the pulse and glide technique and maintaining speeds below 45 mph to make the most use of battery power. Of course, its versatility came in handy and size was a big plus when it came to parking. It was my commuter car and overall loved it. 52 MPGs was the best I hit a few times, while consistently getting in the high 40s, while lowest was in winter around 39-40 mpg.

But then came the newly redesigned IS. I was taken by its aggressive F Sport styling in and out and traded in the CT for it. I loved the buttery smooth and responsive 2.5L V6 but disliked the fuel economy (double the consumption and 91 octane fuel required). Yet, it was the perfect car to unleash my creative side in modding the car. And the sound of a free-flow exhaust was exhilarating.

I then went to a used 2010 HS 250h for a short 6 months, then into a '17 A4 for an even shorter 6 weeks, and now back into a '17 IS. For me, the IS is the perfect balance of style, presence, stance, size, handling, and performance, but you'll have to pay (at the pump) to play.

Each car is fantastic for its own merits, so you win with either one. Happy shopping!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-21-17 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-21-17, 05:06 PM
maxutil
Driver School Candidate

Well I went ahead and purchased a fully loaded 2014 IS250 today - black on black. Great interior and electronics compared to the G37. I also love the exterior look, and the 4 doors are going to be so much more convenient for me. I had never driven a hybrid prior to today, and it drives a bit "funny." The sales rep was explaining to me the differences in hybrid vs a normal car. I had no idea there is no RPM gauge on a hybrid. Anyway, the cabin space felt a lot smaller on the CT. I'm only 5'8" and do my hair up, and at times it was brushing up against the top of the car. I know you can dip the seats a bit lower, but overall it just seemed a bit small. I'm 33, and who knows if I'll start a family within the next 5 years, and the IS would be better in that regard.

Anyway, the car is great. I did quite a bit of driving to handle errands today and man, the power is not there. But I knew that going in. I didn't even want to purchase a car, but my G37 was having some issues and after spending a few grand over the past year, I felt there was another big expense looming. So I just wanted to save money, and I'm happy with it.
Old 01-21-17, 05:16 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by maxutil
Well I went ahead and purchased a fully loaded 2014 IS250 today - black on black. Great interior and electronics compared to the G37. I also love the exterior look, and the 4 doors are going to be so much more convenient for me. I had never driven a hybrid prior to today, and it drives a bit "funny." The sales rep was explaining to me the differences in hybrid vs a normal car. I had no idea there is no RPM gauge on a hybrid. Anyway, the cabin space felt a lot smaller on the CT. I'm only 5'8" and do my hair up, and at times it was brushing up against the top of the car. I know you can dip the seats a bit lower, but overall it just seemed a bit small. I'm 33, and who knows if I'll start a family within the next 5 years, and the IS would be better in that regard.

Anyway, the car is great. I did quite a bit of driving to handle errands today and man, the power is not there. But I knew that going in. I didn't even want to purchase a car, but my G37 was having some issues and after spending a few grand over the past year, I felt there was another big expense looming. So I just wanted to save money, and I'm happy with it.

Congrats on your IS and don't forget to post pics in the 3IS forum! Oh and perhaps the CT salesman missed showing you Sport mode which changes the gauges to red and changes the power gauge to a tach.