P0A7F – Hybrid Battery Pack Deterioration in my 2011 CT200h

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 07:55 AM
sheiksoft
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chuckNX
I would think the Hybrid system is part of the overall drivetrain warranty. But the specific Hybrid warranty should cover this issue if I read the warranty info correctly. If you are not in the U.S., have you read what your warranty is for your specific country?

I would contact Lexus are ask your dealer for the number of the Lexus area rep. They might do some type of goodwill repair if truly out of warranty. I have friends with CT and Prius with original batteries lasting over 200k miles.

U.S. Hybrid System Warranty

This warranty covers repairs needed to correct defects in materials or workmanship of the components listed here and supplied by Lexus, subject to the exceptions indicated under “What Is Not Covered” on pages 19–20:
  • Batterycontrolmodule (battery voltage sensor)
  • Hybridbattery
  • Hybridcontrolmodule(power

management control module)
  • Inverterwithconverter

Coverage is for 96 months or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Thanks for the info Chuck. The previous owner did not provide any warranty booklet. The car came with the owner's manual which is in arabic language. So I downloaded the English version of it and went through whenever I get a doubt. I called the Lexus GCC support for warranty booklet, they asked me to contact the dealer. I also found some details of warranty from Lexus KSA website. http://www.lexus.com.sa/EN/Resources/Warranty.aspx

Asking them a goodwill repair won't work, all they said is to change the HV battery. That too they don't have it here, need to order the battery, will take more than a month. My heart stopped a bit when the chief technician from lexus came and said "This is the first time I am seeing this car".
The good thing is 2016 Prius is on the road from this year and new Lexus hybrids. So they should atleast get some hybrid battery reconditioning systems in their gears soon.

Last edited by sheiksoft; 12-28-16 at 08:48 AM. Reason: adding additional content
Old 12-29-16, 01:09 AM
sheiksoft
Driver School Candidate

Bad Day today, "Check Hybrid System" message came up again.
Shall I order couple of modules and change the ones which are showing low voltage among the 28 modules.?
Any advice to buy from a eBay seller who has Gen III HV Battery for 2011 Lexus CT200h.? Please help me with this.
Old 12-29-16, 04:06 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Did you get your tech stream yet?

there is a relay under the hood for the hybrid system. I had to do some service work on a new 2016 Prius where it was a theft recovery. They tried to disable the horn honk and pulled every relay and fuse under the hood causing everything to come on the dash. I first used a regular scan tool to reset. Drove around parking lot it was done for 15 minutes. Some lights came back on.
Pulled out my laptop and hooked up tech stream. Reset all the hybrid adaptive and codes, that was 4000 miles and 6 months ago.
The following users liked this post:
sheiksoft (01-01-17)
Old 12-29-16, 08:53 AM
kt2012
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sheiksoft
So far so Good. After cleaning the copper connectors corrosion, no DTC messages popped up. I drove yesterday and today for around 100+ kms and got the car back to normal, I guess. Thanks a lot for your timely help and suggestions. You guys are Great.

I do have a concern here. I noticed the dashboard battery symbol spikes full sometimes and it stays like that and drops down a bit. Is that normal.? Why I am asking this because, usually in the past "Check Hybrid System" error comes after I see the battery full symbol. I have attached the image below.
btw the car shows 16 kms / Litre Mileage.
The Battery icon showing full charge.
I get the same icon some times, fully charged. didnt get this fully charged display before.

regarding battery imbalances. you can goto amazon and get some hobby aircraft battery chargers and dischargers to assist in balancing the batteries.

for your info. your battery safety switch is located in the same location as my 2011 CT200h in the picture posted above.

do you photos of the lower power cells ? are they expanded or damaged ? maybe just needs some rebalancing ?
sheiksoft (01-01-17)
Old 12-29-16, 11:39 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great work sheiksoft, thanks for the pictures. It's interesting to know that connector corrosion issue still exists in these newer hybrids too.

I think there should be no cell balance issue with nickel metal battery, as they can be balanced with slow over-charging? You should buy real Techstream cable with software to see what's the problem. Good reading:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...echstream.html

Last edited by nacke; 12-29-16 at 11:43 AM.
sheiksoft (01-01-17)
Old 12-30-16, 06:22 AM
kt2012
Driver School Candidate

Bad Day today, "Check Hybrid System" message came up again.
Shall I order couple of modules and change the ones which are showing low voltage among the 28 modules.?
Any advice to buy from a eBay seller who has Gen III HV Battery for 2011 Lexus CT200h.? Please help me with this.
watch these 2 videos before buying a replacement cell

need to find someone who can sell you a load tested replacement cell, not just one that is 7.2 volts
sheiksoft (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 01:20 AM
sheiksoft
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gshadow325
Did you get your tech stream yet?

there is a relay under the hood for the hybrid system. I had to do some service work on a new 2016 Prius where it was a theft recovery. They tried to disable the horn honk and pulled every relay and fuse under the hood causing everything to come on the dash. I first used a regular scan tool to reset. Drove around parking lot it was done for 15 minutes. Some lights came back on.
Pulled out my laptop and hooked up tech stream. Reset all the hybrid adaptive and codes, that was 4000 miles and 6 months ago.
I am waiting for my Mini VCI Cable which I ordered. I have the Techstream software. I will also book an appointment with Lexus service, they will check with their software tell the error code for free. The car is driving normal now, switching properly to EV mode and Petrol but the error stays there. I hope it should be a different error code instead of battery this time...
Old 01-01-17, 02:11 AM
sheiksoft
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kt2012
I get the same icon some times, fully charged. didnt get this fully charged display before.

regarding battery imbalances. you can goto amazon and get some hobby aircraft battery chargers and dischargers to assist in balancing the batteries.

for your info. your battery safety switch is located in the same location as my 2011 CT200h in the picture posted above.

do you photos of the lower power cells ? are they expanded or damaged ? maybe just needs some rebalancing ?

I dont know what battery switch you are talking about. You mean the service plug of HV battery.?
The cells are intact, I did not open the pack completely, just checked the voltages. Can I buy & try the battery chargers and dischargers given below for re-balancing?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252331177243

Excellent videos about the load testing batteries. I will look out for those cells in eBay.
Thanks for your time.

Last edited by sheiksoft; 01-01-17 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-01-17, 02:12 AM
sheiksoft
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nacke
Great work sheiksoft, thanks for the pictures. It's interesting to know that connector corrosion issue still exists in these newer hybrids too.

I think there should be no cell balance issue with nickel metal battery, as they can be balanced with slow over-charging? You should buy real Techstream cable with software to see what's the problem. Good reading:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...echstream.html
Sure, I will do the check with TechStream software and report back to the forum as soon as I complete it.
Old 01-01-17, 04:10 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I am waiting for my Mini VCI Cable which I ordered. I have the Techstream software. I will also book an appointment with Lexus service, they will check with their software tell the error code for free. The car is driving normal now, switching properly to EV mode and Petrol but the error stays there. I hope it should be a different error code instead of battery this time...
I would wait for the mini vci cable and use it to reset everything in the car. I would not book anything at the dealership. They will tell you that it will need a lot of things because you took the battery out. It is going to be a huge waste of time and that service record will be linked to your car. That it has all these problems and you chose not to fix it.

Oh did I mention you will be wasting money and time by going to dealership? Get the tech stream. Reset the car first then go from there. It is the same tool that the dealership will be using.
sheiksoft (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 08:33 AM
sheiksoft
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gshadow325
I would wait for the mini vci cable and use it to reset everything in the car. I would not book anything at the dealership. They will tell you that it will need a lot of things because you took the battery out. It is going to be a huge waste of time and that service record will be linked to your car. That it has all these problems and you chose not to fix it.

Oh did I mention you will be wasting money and time by going to dealership? Get the tech stream. Reset the car first then go from there. It is the same tool that the dealership will be using.
Thanks for your advice. I will wait for the cable and skip the dealer now. Last time I saw the technician using Techstream v10.ish. I got the same software, I suppose it should do the reset / clear codes and the system.
Old 01-01-17, 07:03 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So I just want to get all these correctly.

Your CT200H in your country given its model year and mileage is currently OUT OF WARRANTY? I thought the hybrid drive train is warranty to like 80k miles (100k miles is state of California, USA) / 10 years?

Thanks for your advice. I will wait for the cable and skip the dealer now. Last time I saw the technician using Techstream v10.ish. I got the same software, I suppose it should do the reset / clear codes and the system.
sheiksoft (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 09:28 PM
kt2012
Driver School Candidate

I dont know what battery switch you are talking about. You mean the service plug of HV battery.?
The cells are intact, I did not open the pack completely, just checked the voltages. Can I buy & try the battery chargers and dischargers given below for re-balancing?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252331177243

Excellent videos about the load testing batteries. I will look out for those cells in eBay.
Thanks for your time.
yes was referring to the HV battery plug, same location as mine also 2011 CT200h.

regarding chargers, get one than can record charging and discharge mah. was reading on prius chat how to rebalance the prius battery needs afew cycles 3 to 4.

someone mentioned slow overcharge. some detailed info would be good.
sheiksoft (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 09:31 PM
kt2012
Driver School Candidate

Sure, I will do the check with TechStream software and report back to the forum as soon as I complete it.
just unplug the -ve for about 3mins and the check hybrid error code will be reset. just need to retune radio stations and clock if it runs.

but getting tech stream would be easier. anyone have a reliable source ?
sheiksoft (01-01-17)
Old 01-01-17, 10:29 PM
sheiksoft
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
So I just want to get all these correctly.

Your CT200H in your country given its model year and mileage is currently OUT OF WARRANTY? I thought the hybrid drive train is warranty to like 80k miles (100k miles is state of California, USA) / 10 years?
Yeah that is what Lexus service rep informed me. Once the 4 years regular warranty expires, I have to pay for parts and services from Lexus.

I thought about it, why not I request my dealer about Hybrid Warranty. So I messaged them and waiting for their reply.

Last edited by sheiksoft; 01-02-17 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Updated

Quick Reply: P0A7F – Hybrid Battery Pack Deterioration in my 2011 CT200h