CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Clicking while braking

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 02:25 PM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking while braking

Has anyone had the clicking while braking around 20mph down to 5mph on the drivers side?

Seems like a couple have posted about it on the ct200h forum but its dead over there. I bought a 2012 Ct200h in August with 31k miles on it. Long story short it was supposed to be certified and ended up not being certified b/c of the airbag warranty but I still wanted the car so got it b/c it had some warranties left on it.

I noticed the clicking after a few days of driving and figured it was a cv joint so i'd get it looked at during the first service (35k miles) .. Took it in for service and "they couldnt replicate the clicking" , took it back again this week and drove someone around and now they see what I was talking about and the guy said "hmm never heard that before" .

Anyways two days later they diagnose it as the Brake Actuator making the noise and itll cost $3450 to fix and im out of the 36 month / 36k miles warranty that covers that part.

Looking around lexus and prius forums it seems to be a fairly common problem which lexus and toyota have actually extended the brake actuator warranty to 150k on some models but seems like the ct200h isnt one of them.

So just wondering if anyone else had the clicking noise on drivers front while braking, and how was it fixed?

Thanks
Old 10-20-16, 06:49 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

What about the Lexus 4 year - 50,000 basic warranty. Toyota has a 36 month - 36 thousand mile warranty. Lexus is covered longer.
Look at your book. I think they are lying. Was this at a Lexus dealer or a Toyota dealer?
I would contact Lexus corporate. There is a number in your owners book.
Also what about the used car warranty they should have provided? Or your state consumer protection laws? Lemon laws?
Also check the Prius Chat forum for possible information on the brake click and actuator issues. Same drivetrain as the CT.

See below
Lexus Standard Warranty Coverage

Basic
4 years / 50,000 miles
Drivetrain
6 years / 70,000 miles
Corrosion
6 years / Unlimited miles
Roadside Assistance
4 years / Unlimited miles

Last edited by Clutchless; 10-20-16 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-20-16, 07:09 AM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

I'll have to look at the paperwork again on warranty amounts but pretty sure mine was 36k / 3 years

did the newer model ct's get longer warranties?

I have called Lexus and opened a case, dealership said they would too.

I did remember sending an email to the salesman about a week after buying the car stating the clicking noise .. I printed it off and figured I'd take it by the dealership to prove that this didn't just start but they sold the car to me like this.

Id also like to push for the certified warranty since they have fixed the airbag recall last week .. that's why they wouldn't certify it when I bought the car
Old 10-20-16, 09:06 AM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Took the email by the dealer and talked to another manager. This one didn't seem to care much and even went through the deal numbers and came up with I was only $400 or so away from paying the full certified price they were asking.

It does have the 50k warranty but expired end of last year.

Manager at dealership said to just wait to hear from Lexus. So should know something in the next business day.
Old 10-21-16, 06:33 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think we might have had the same issue. I posted this, but they found out it wasn't the actuator, it was the axle IIRC.
Old 10-21-16, 06:54 PM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RonSwanson
I think we might have had the same issue. I posted this, but they found out it wasn't the actuator, it was the axle IIRC.

I told them I thought it was an axle that's why I waited bc it's still covered under drivetrain warranty

it clicks a little when slowly accelerating up a parking garage ramp .. and when braking the car does not click if you put it in Nuetral .. but I'd loudest every time you brake from about 20mph down to 5ish then stops

my theory was the regen was putting the force on the axle causing the clicking .. regen cuts out about 7mph so clicking stops .. put car in neutral - no regen - no clicking

but they had the car for two days and ran "tests" and came up with the actuator
Old 10-21-16, 06:58 PM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Also called Lexus today because I received no phone call in the 2 business day time frame they promised. Guy said he sees some activity in my case file and will get a call Monday from the case manager.
Old 10-22-16, 08:52 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AdriansCT
I told them I thought it was an axle that's why I waited bc it's still covered under drivetrain warranty

it clicks a little when slowly accelerating up a parking garage ramp .. and when braking the car does not click if you put it in Nuetral .. but I'd loudest every time you brake from about 20mph down to 5ish then stops

my theory was the regen was putting the force on the axle causing the clicking .. regen cuts out about 7mph so clicking stops .. put car in neutral - no regen - no clicking

but they had the car for two days and ran "tests" and came up with the actuator
I never really tested the noise so I can't confirm about the clicking when going up a ramp or braking when in neutral, but definitely had the clicking around the same speeds you said. I had them look at it 3 times at 2 different dealerships until they figured it out.
Old 10-26-16, 10:38 AM
travis348
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a 2012 this past weekend, and I noticed the clicking noise this week.
Old 10-26-16, 10:53 AM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Did you get any type of warranty? Or do you have any warranty left on yours?

Also can you see if it's the same as mine .. clicking while braking about 20mph down to 5 or so .. and if you shift to neutral no clicking?

Im supposed to hear back from Lexus by today, if not I'll call them later tonight. They haven't been too great about keeping me updating but their supposed to be working with the dealership whatever that means.
Old 10-27-16, 05:48 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Sorry about the delay. Here's the invoice w/ the part information that fixed the noise. I omitted any personal info.
Old 10-27-16, 06:09 PM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Awesome thanks .. I'll print it and put it with my other paperwork

still havent gotten an answer from Lexus. They called yesterday and said they should have an answer by Friday whether or not they will replace the brake actuator and if I can get the car certified or not.
Old 10-27-16, 06:30 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AdriansCT
Awesome thanks .. I'll print it and put it with my other paperwork

still havent gotten an answer from Lexus. They called yesterday and said they should have an answer by Friday whether or not they will replace the brake actuator and if I can get the car certified or not.
Yep, no problem. If you need, I also have an earlier invoice where they said they replaced the brake actuator and the noise still persists. Logically, it seems like we had the same issue since we have the same car and the mechanics independently came to the initial conclusion it was the brake actuator, hopefully your rep realizes this and pushes the mechanic to look at the axle bearings instead.
Old 10-27-16, 07:48 PM
AdriansCT
Driver School Candidate

Yea that paperwork might be helpful too to prove you had the same problem .. if you could post it too might help some others too because it seems like theres more than just us two that have the clicking .. almost wonder if the early ct's had issues with that part and it got revised or if we all have the same parts
Old 10-28-16, 02:08 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Here ya go. Bit hard to understand, but hopefully the dealership will figure it out.

Quick Reply: Clicking while braking