CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Buying an RES+ remote starter from Lexus? Better read this first.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-16, 10:43 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Buying an RES+ remote starter from Lexus? Better read this first.

When I got my CT, I had the dealer install Lexus' RES+ remote starter (which uses the fob and your smartphone to unlock/lock/start/find your car). It costs around $800 + $600 labor.

Problem is, they don't tell you that 2 antennas have to be attached to your windshield from the inside, and while I doubt they clarify this on the work order, 90% of that labor is installing the antennas.

Here's the catch: if you ever have to replace your windshield, the antennas cannot be reused. You will need new ones ($75) and labor is about $500.
Old 08-29-16, 01:21 PM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ouch. Was the windshield itself expensive?
Old 08-30-16, 08:58 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

My aftermarket remote starter uses no antennas, but I don't have the car finder function. It just uses the car's remote and built in system. It uses my FOB the same way though (press lock button on the FOB 3 times to start). Just posting my system in case someone thinks that they can't get a remote starter without the issue presented by the OP.
Old 08-30-16, 10:06 PM
SFarmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
My aftermarket remote starter uses no antennas, but I don't have the car finder function. It just uses the car's remote and built in system. It uses my FOB the same way though (press lock button on the FOB 3 times to start). Just posting my system in case someone thinks that they can't get a remote starter without the issue presented by the OP.
Care to share a link or name of the unit you purchased?
Old 08-31-16, 03:41 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SFarmer
My car has a Compustar Pro T11, remote start alarm system with touch rps, ezgo, and drone mobile.

You can do a simple remote start module that can be expanded to be controlled by drone mobile or long range remotes.

i can provide all documentation, photos, hardware and tech support for a diy install. I'm a Simple PM away.
Old 09-01-16, 09:59 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, no idea. My local car audio place installed it. The invoice just says "install 3 push to start remote system". I paid 450 bucks.
Old 09-04-16, 10:51 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by nacke
Ouch. Was the windshield itself expensive?
When I replaced my windshield, I went with Lexus' OEM windshield. It cost $1150 total to put in. My windshield has since been hit again and has cracked to the point where it will need replacing. I checked Safelite for their windshield, and their site quotes $564.95 (with all the features) for the windshield, so about half the price.

If anyone is ever looking into an advanced remote starter, one that works with your smartphone, I'd ask about antenna installs and locations. I'd recommend against Lexus' units.
Old 09-05-16, 02:20 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Raidin
When I replaced my windshield, I went with Lexus' OEM windshield. It cost $1150 total to put in. My windshield has since been hit again and has cracked to the point where it will need replacing. I checked Safelite for their windshield, and their site quotes $564.95 (with all the features) for the windshield, so about half the price.

If anyone is ever looking into an advanced remote starter, one that works with your smartphone, I'd ask about antenna installs and locations. I'd recommend against Lexus' units.
I've used Safelite glass before. Nothing wring with it. Just make sure that whichever glass you use, that it is acoustic rated. Lexus uses acoustic glass in their vehicles. Makes the car that much quieter. Look at the stamp in the corner....it will say "acoustic".
Old 09-05-16, 05:47 PM
SFarmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you live in an area where windshield cracks are common (construction, gravel, trucks, etc.), you might want to check with your car insurance to see if they offer a rider for windshield replacement. I had it added to our policy a couple months ago and was surprised to find out it was only a couple dollars per month for 3 vehicles and is excluded from my deductible... so they pay for the entire replacement.
Old 09-08-16, 07:50 AM
Raidin
Advanced

If you live in an area where windshield cracks are common (construction, gravel, trucks, etc.), you might want to check with your car insurance to see if they offer a rider for windshield replacement. I had it added to our policy a couple months ago and was surprised to find out it was only a couple dollars per month for 3 vehicles and is excluded from my deductible... so they pay for the entire replacement.
I will do that!

@roadfrog: The quote I set up on Safelite's site is for the windshield with all the features, including sound insulation. Definitely not going to skip that! =P
Old 09-14-16, 12:12 AM
jeepguy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used safelite to replace a windshield and they told me they do not make an aftermarket for the ct. they installed lexus marked glass and allstate picked up the tab. the bill said it was around $1400