CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Feels more road. Tire ? suspension strut ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-16, 12:04 PM
kulkarnipb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feels more road. Tire ? suspension strut ?

I have 2011 CT200H. Odometer is 40k.

Since last 6 to 8 months , I feel more road. In my last servicing , I asked mechanic to check is suspension struts are good and he confirmed that they are good. I have Michelin all season - P215/45R-17 PRIMACY MXM4 - Tires Replaced at around 30K, 1.5 yrs back. I always keep proper tire pressure. So I feel, tires also should not be a concern. However, I am still unable to find the cause that - why this car makes me feel more road. The more road is bumpy, the more uncomfortable driving is !

Is there something I should check or ask mechanic to check for ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-16, 05:18 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

did you rotate your tires?
Old 07-17-16, 07:53 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The MXM4 is a firm tire -- that could be part of it ... I can't see how you would have strut problems at 40k.
Old 07-17-16, 08:12 PM
kulkarnipb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by irondonkey
did you rotate your tires?
yes, I did.
Old 07-17-16, 08:14 PM
kulkarnipb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yeldogt
The MXM4 is a firm tire -- that could be part of it ... I can't see how you would have strut problems at 40k.
thx. what are the best options in tires ? I live in NJ, USA . There is snow , rain and high temperature within a year.
Old 07-18-16, 05:34 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

We have an 2011 CT200H that my daughter drives....about 41k on the ODO.
Same tires as well. Same state too.

As far as your comment, even from when we first got it (CPO at 36k miles) , this car does FEEL MORE ROAD always.
On smooth highways, not as noticeable for sure. Tight handling, tight steering even as a non F sport.
I personally refer to it as the "go cart".
Clearly, totally different drive from my ES350.

You might be able to make some slight difference with different tires, but that I feel is the way the car simply is by design.
IF you don't like that kind of thing, you might think about a different car.

You mention the NJ weather....from all I hear and read the CT200 is NOT a great snow car at all.
Only way I've seen to help with that is 4 dedicated WINTER tires.
Old 07-18-16, 09:26 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

I'm in NY/NJ/PA.

We have a Prius as well -- I was surprised how good the Prius was in snow with the 17" all season tires. Not much snow last years - so can't comment. I would expect similar with the CT.

Th CT is a small car -- it does not have the road noise of the Prius -- but it's a shorter wheel base so it can be choppy
Old 07-18-16, 09:30 AM
Vegasaurus
Driver

The stock Michelins are god-awful. Get Pirelli P7 or Yoko Avid Ascends. The Michelins are in the same price range but they ride like a bargain bin tire.

When I went to the dealer every car had those crappy tires. Lexus must have got a really good deal on them because they are crap.
Old 07-19-16, 06:41 AM
kulkarnipb
Driver School Candidate

I wasn't feeling road before tire change . The tires that came from factory were good. So seems the new tires ( MXM4 ) are the culprits. I already spent 500 bucks on 4 tires and 60 bucks to install them just a yr back. So I will use them for while but surely will never use them in future. Will go for Pirelli P7 or Yoko Avid Ascends as suggested by Vegasaurus next time .
Old 07-19-16, 09:34 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Have you ever considered an ALL WEATHER tire? Do not confuse this with an all-season tire....they're different. An all weather tire can literally be driven in all weather conditions and are snow rated, but can be driven in the Summer as well. Nokian WRG3 is a good example. They are one of the best tires you can get for snow, but are designed to drive in all 4 seasons. More and more companies are now making these types of tires and of course, consumers are happy, because they don't have to store and change over summer and winter tires twice a year.

Have a look: https://www.kaltire.com/nokian-all-w...all-year-long/
Old 08-10-16, 12:04 PM
kulkarnipb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Have you ever considered an ALL WEATHER tire? Do not confuse this with an all-season tire....they're different. An all weather tire can literally be driven in all weather conditions and are snow rated, but can be driven in the Summer as well. Nokian WRG3 is a good example. They are one of the best tires you can get for snow, but are designed to drive in all 4 seasons. More and more companies are now making these types of tires and of course, consumers are happy, because they don't have to store and change over summer and winter tires twice a year.

Have a look: https://www.kaltire.com/nokian-all-w...all-year-long/
Thanks. Next time, I am going to purchase these.
Old 08-11-16, 03:00 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by kulkarnipb
I wasn't feeling road before tire change . The tires that came from factory were good. So seems the new tires ( MXM4 ) are the culprits. I already spent 500 bucks on 4 tires and 60 bucks to install them just a yr back. So I will use them for while but surely will never use them in future. Will go for Pirelli P7 or Yoko Avid Ascends as suggested by Vegasaurus next time .
Your complain sounds typical of a tire that does not wear well. Some tires become noisy s they wear down. It's mainly due to the tread design. If you google search mxm4 tires they get great reviews but if you add in the h4 in the search you will see the mxm4 h4 version is the stock tire for Honda's and they get horrible reviews. Exactly what you are complaining about.

I almost feel into the same problem until I noticed the h4 designation. I chose the hankook concept 2 tires that were almost the same price instead in a 225/45/17 size.

It's been exactly 10,000 in the last 4 months and I love it.