CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Ct200h f sport pkg OR Audi A3 e- tron?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 03:27 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gymjenkie
The Lexus Ct200h has 53% residual rate and Audi A3 e-tron has 51% residual rate.
Surprised at the Audi residual, thought they were usually in the 40's. And would have expected something closer to 60% for the CT.
Old 06-14-16, 03:44 PM
gymjenkie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edgalang
Looks is subjective, so I won't comment. Heck just 5 years ago I thought all hatchbacks looked ugly and would of never considered getting one.

With regards to maintenance plans, I didn't buy any. Both cars have been dealer serviced while in warranty, however now that both my 2013 CT and 2012 Mercedes are above 60k miles, I've since then switched to DYI. Ironically, the Mercedes is a much easier car to maintain than the CT, since you can do oil changes without ever having to go underneath the car.

I haven't even seen an e-tron yet, but if I was in your shoes, it is what I'd pick based on my default rules sight unseen.
That is true, shouldn't base it all on looks, but I am trying to list the pros & cons of each car and it's kind of neutral except Audi gets 1st year or 5k maintenance warranty. Lexus, I wouldn't have to use premium gas which is about $0.209 less per gallon.
Old 06-14-16, 03:47 PM
gymjenkie
Rookie

Originally Posted by irondonkey
why not just get a CPO or used model instead of leasing?

that lease money could go towards the ownership of the car.
I totally would, but that would just mean I'll be adding more negative equity onto the new CPO or used loan and it'll be ongoing, never ending thing. With the lease, I can get out of the negative equity a lot sooner than if I paid it off. I wasn't thinking very smart when I got the is250, so now I am about 10k negative and I've only had this car for over a year.
Old 06-14-16, 03:48 PM
gymjenkie
Rookie

Originally Posted by gengar
Surprised at the Audi residual, thought they were usually in the 40's. And would have expected something closer to 60% for the CT.
You're right, the residual is actually 43% for the Audi. Wow, Audi's residual rate is really low. 50% range is okay, and 60% range is good. I am surprised also on the Lexus' residual. Mercedes is 61%. BMW is 60% I believe.
Old 06-14-16, 08:01 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gymjenkie
I totally would, but that would just mean I'll be adding more negative equity onto the new CPO or used loan and it'll be ongoing, never ending thing. With the lease, I can get out of the negative equity a lot sooner than if I paid it off. I wasn't thinking very smart when I got the is250, so now I am about 10k negative and I've only had this car for over a year.
at this point, it doesn't sound like a financially smart decision to lease and buy CPO.

leasing would be you throwing your money away for a source of transportation.
Old 06-15-16, 05:59 AM
gymjenkie
Rookie

at this point, it doesn't sound like a financially smart decision to lease and buy CPO.

leasing would be you throwing your money away for a source of transportation.
I don't think you're understanding the negative equity part.
Old 06-15-16, 06:10 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

i understand how a depreciating asset works.

youre throwing away money for 3 years, with nothing to show for it at the end of 3 years. at least with buying a used car you'll have an asset worth something in the end.

realistically, any car loan should be paid off in 3 years time. if not, then said person is living out of their means. obviously the whole 'if you cant buy your car with cash, you cant afford it' statement holds a lot of truth, but that's an argument for another day haha
Old 06-15-16, 01:10 PM
gymjenkie
Rookie

i understand how a depreciating asset works.

youre throwing away money for 3 years, with nothing to show for it at the end of 3 years. at least with buying a used car you'll have an asset worth something in the end.

realistically, any car loan should be paid off in 3 years time. if not, then said person is living out of their means. obviously the whole 'if you cant buy your car with cash, you cant afford it' statement holds a lot of truth, but that's an argument for another day haha
I get what you're saying. I'm having 2nd thoughts now :/ I love my is250, I really do. It has everything I need/want in a car lol. I can probably pay it off earlier than the remaining 5 years of payments... in like 3-4 years instead, but by the time I pay it off, I know I'll have at least 122,xxx miles on it. 15k miles per year, estimated. What do I do with a paid off car that already has over 120k miles and it's only 6 years old? I've never had to worry about cars' maintenance. My dad was a mechanic at Toyota dealership so I am clueless ....
Old 06-15-16, 02:34 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

you keep the car. it will still get you from point A to B. it will still look good, and still have luxury features.

take the money you lost in it as a financial lesson. 120k miles is nothing for a lexus. maintenance isn't that much. def a lot less than a german.

what were the terms of your loan...? seems like getting the IS250 was an extremely bad decision. BTW, i'm actually trying to relocate out to SoCal. haha
Old 06-15-16, 03:05 PM
gymjenkie
Rookie

you keep the car. it will still get you from point A to B. it will still look good, and still have luxury features.

take the money you lost in it as a financial lesson. 120k miles is nothing for a lexus. maintenance isn't that much. def a lot less than a german.

what were the terms of your loan...? seems like getting the IS250 was an extremely bad decision. BTW, i'm actually trying to relocate out to SoCal. haha

True. I just need to figure out why my car is making a clunking / creaking sound when I make a tight turn like into a parking spot..

So Lexus can go past 200k if it's taken care of?

Oh trust me, it was a horrible, irrational, STUPID decision. I rushed into getting it, didn't search for a better deal, traded in a car that I was leasing. I did a " I Saw, I like, so I'm getting it" moment I didn't do any research whatsoever... And I agreed to do 72 months!!!!! I tried to refinance but got declined..
Old 06-15-16, 03:09 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

make a video, post it in the IS sub-section.

yes, there are plenty of lexus cars with well over 200k miles. before my CT, i had a 130k mile 1995 lexus ES300. before the ES, i had a 1992 lexus SC300 with 190k miles. now i have a 2013 CT with 14k miles. lol

72 months, you're crazy!
Old 06-15-16, 04:28 PM
gymjenkie
Rookie

make a video, post it in the IS sub-section.

yes, there are plenty of lexus cars with well over 200k miles. before my CT, i had a 130k mile 1995 lexus ES300. before the ES, i had a 1992 lexus SC300 with 190k miles. now i have a 2013 CT with 14k miles. lol

72 months, you're crazy!
I forgot to ask, where are you currently at since you're trying to relocate to SoCal?

I did lol . I was told it could be the bushing on the steering stop bolt. But I couldn't see it and then I gave up when I started looking to trade in my car.

Haha I know, told yang, bad stupid idea. I didn't even look at the damn contract! I didn't do any research. I feel like I got ripped off
Old 06-15-16, 08:46 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

atlanta, GA. was thinking about road tripping out there in the CT. spend a week and hit up all the cities.
2014 model should still be covered under warranty i believe? 4 years or 50k miles?
you're def upside down on that car. learned your lesson, life goes on.
Old 06-15-16, 10:11 PM
DaOne54
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Girlfriend owns a 2011 Ct200h and it makes a GREAT daily. Whenever we go on road trips and its just me and the girlfriend its amazing. GREAT on gas and pretty comfortable.. For the front seats.
As soon as you put people in the backseat you will start getting complaints on how uncomfortable it is back there.

Great car though. Would definitely buy another one.