CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Installed led (bulb) headlights and foglights in my 2012 CT Fsport

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 07:40 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Installed led (bulb) headlights and foglights in my 2012 CT Fsport

I think it came out nice, though eventually I may tackle a retrofit project so I'm not producing as much glare in the fog lights in courtesy for incoming traffic.

Some cell phone photos:

Old 05-29-16, 12:24 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what bulbs did you use?
Old 05-29-16, 06:55 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

After reading numerous threads on here as well on the CT200H forum, I decided to parse around a bit on Amazon and read review after review, I ended up purchasing these:

Amazon.com: Safego 66w 6000lm H8 H9 H11 LED Headlight Bulbs COB Chip Auto LED Car Headlight Kit Conversion Kit 12v Replace for Halogen or HID Xenon Kit Bulbs (C2-H11/H8/H9): Automotive Amazon.com: Safego 66w 6000lm H8 H9 H11 LED Headlight Bulbs COB Chip Auto LED Car Headlight Kit Conversion Kit 12v Replace for Halogen or HID Xenon Kit Bulbs (C2-H11/H8/H9): Automotive

They match the led running lights perfectly.
Old 05-29-16, 09:02 PM
Numbahz
Driver

I did a install today with these bulbs, they seem to have been something recommended from here I believe..
Amazon.com: SiriusLED Fanless CREE XM L2 Chipset 4400 Lumen Extreme Bright Compact LED Bulbs for Headlights Fog Lights DRL Hi Lo Beam Size H11 H8: Automotive Amazon.com: SiriusLED Fanless CREE XM L2 Chipset 4400 Lumen Extreme Bright Compact LED Bulbs for Headlights Fog Lights DRL Hi Lo Beam Size H11 H8: Automotive

My thoughts so far.. They seem about as bright as the crumy halogens that were in there but not too bright, i wish it was brighter, i also installed led fogs too and they look good, they make up for the loss in brightness from headlamps. The color matches fairly great. Overall a huge improvement over the factory halogen at a minor cost of $100 for fog & low beam conversion. Do these seem to be good enou or should i go for one with fans in it?
Old 05-31-16, 12:32 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

It says "fans" at the bottom of the unit.

Stay away from fans bc these will fail much sooner than FANLESS units.

Originally Posted by tofuprod
After reading numerous threads on here as well on the CT200H forum, I decided to parse around a bit on Amazon and read review after review, I ended up purchasing these:

Amazon.com: Safego 66w 6000lm H8 H9 H11 LED Headlight Bulbs COB Chip Auto LED Car Headlight Kit Conversion Kit 12v Replace for Halogen or HID Xenon Kit Bulbs (C2-H11/H8/H9): Automotive

They match the led running lights perfectly.
Old 05-31-16, 12:36 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

These are 2200 lumens each. There are higher output FANLESS units.

I hAve the higher output lumens ones in my CT200H (low beam and fogs). I also put in the fogs for my RX450H and LX570 (only needed the fogs on these two bc the low beams already got HID).

Mine worked for over two years without any issues.

Originally Posted by Numbahz
I did a install today with these bulbs, they seem to have been something recommended from here I believe.. Amazon.com: SiriusLED Fanless CREE XM L2 Chipset 4400 Lumen Extreme Bright Compact LED Bulbs for Headlights Fog Lights DRL Hi Lo Beam Size H11 H8: Automotive

My thoughts so far.. They seem about as bright as the crumy halogens that were in there but not too bright, i wish it was brighter, i also installed led fogs too and they look good, they make up for the loss in brightness from headlamps. The color matches fairly great. Overall a huge improvement over the factory halogen at a minor cost of $100 for fog & low beam conversion. Do these seem to be good enou or should i go for one with fans in it?
Old 05-31-16, 12:37 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexusrus
It says "fans" at the bottom of the unit.

Stay away from fans bc these will fail much sooner than FANLESS units.

I've read and you are correct, however, I have yet to discover a fanless unit in terms of an LED setup that has been supportive in the positive sense where there are reviews to back up the long-term usage in these vehicles.

Even though it's only been a few days since the install, so far no issues.

Now, if you know of any fanless units that are decently reliable, I would love to go in that direction.

EDIT: would you say the fanless units above work well?? If so, can you provide photos of said light output? TIA.
Old 05-31-16, 01:39 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I've read and you are correct, however, I have yet to discover a fanless unit in terms of an LED setup that has been supportive in the positive sense where there are reviews to back up the long-term usage in these vehicles.

Even though it's only been a few days since the install, so far no issues.

Now, if you know of any fanless units that are decently reliable, I would love to go in that direction.

EDIT: would you say the fanless units above work well?? If so, can you provide photos of said light output? TIA.
Ugh what?

There's only a 15+ page thread about these bulbs in this very forum pics, info & all... I'm one of the people that's had them for over 2yrs [gen. 1 LED without fan]... still going strong in my moms' CT; which was the lab rat. I now have the gen. 2's in my Camry.

A giant heatsink > slimmer profile, junk fan units.
Old 05-31-16, 03:19 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Ugh what?

There's only a 15+ page thread about these bulbs in this very forum pics, info & all... I'm one of the people that's had them for over 2yrs [gen. 1 LED without fan]... still going strong in my moms' CT; which was the lab rat. I now have the gen. 2's in my Camry.

A giant heatsink > slimmer profile, junk fan units.

I've read. My question to you was directly understandable.
IE: Link me to fanless units such as the cree unit above that you deem are reliable as opposed to the ones I purchased

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...ht-enough.html

Last edited by tofuprod; 05-31-16 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-31-16, 04:34 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I've read. My question to you was directly understandable.
IE: Link me to fanless units such as the cree unit above that you deem are reliable as opposed to the ones I purchased

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...ht-enough.html
Read the thread. And search. Answers are all there, and pictures of sorts; all over the forum too.

Xenondepot sells Philips & their in house brand as well if you want more options.

Don't listen to the people on here - we don't care. Just don't come crying when they burn out and cook the inside of the projector bowl, or worse, your wiring.

I just find it intriguing that the OEM toyota units, on all Toyota cars, don't have fans, yet these ones need them?

Good luck.
Old 05-31-16, 04:40 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Read the thread. And search. Answers are all there, and pictures of sorts; all over the forum too.

Xenondepot sells Philips & their in house brand as well if you want more options.

Don't listen to the people on here - we don't care. Just don't come crying when they burn out and cook the inside of the projector bowl, or worse, your wiring.

I just find it intriguing that the OEM toyota units, on all Toyota cars, don't have fans, yet these ones need them?

Good luck.
Valid and very intriguing indeed. I've always been curious as to how there haven't been those kind of reported failures to date, both fan and non-fan setups. I do have a set of non-fan ones on the side, I may just end up swapping them out as the weather improves .
Old 05-31-16, 08:53 PM
irondonkey
Pole Position

just because it as a fan doesn't mean it's crap.

after market, sure.

PIAA LED bulbs, no. they use it on rally race cars... lol
Old 06-01-16, 06:19 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I wonder which type, fan or fanless they use on the rally races?

Also with the "more famous brands" (therefore more expensive) like PIAA, PHILLIPS, SYLVANIA, and etc., do these have "fans". If these more famous brands opted to go with "fanless", does this fact tell you anything?

Think about it, the air cooled motorcycle engines and the old Porche engines were all based on the "fins/heat sink" design which is exactly the same principle as these "fanless" units with a GIANT heat sink to disperse heat. Many similar examples in other industrial/military use where mission critical and maintenance free is paramount.

Again I had posted elsewhere on this forum, you can hook these units ip to a fully charged booster battery and let it light up for a few hours continuously and then see how hot these units get. This is what I did and after several hours I can still touch the units with my bare hands. Yes, they get warm, but not so hot as to melt anything.

Or you can spend a lot more and go with one of the "famous brands" or just go totally OEM with HID OR LED units. For me the OEM HID OR LED units with its OEM light housing is definitely BETTER in terms of light cut off, but I don't see the need for me. I also had my wife drive each car towards me at night and vice versa to see if these led lights blind me. The answer is NO. Also I find I'm able to see the sides better . Also people notice you are coming and they don't tend to just dash out in front of you, especially at large congested parking lots . One downside is that LEO's see you coming down the road from a long distance. LOL😃

Originally Posted by irondonkey
just because it as a fan doesn't mean it's crap.

after market, sure.

PIAA LED bulbs, no. they use it on rally race cars... lol

Last edited by lexusrus; 06-01-16 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-01-16, 06:44 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

these "famous brands" actually put the R&D in developing the bulbs. they are of OEM spec, and of quality.

everything else is essentially chinese made, hardware put together. not all chinese bulbs are made equal.
Old 06-01-16, 11:42 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I realize the "famous brands" had put in the R&D and all that.

But even with a "famous brand", I still got burned some 15+ years ago on my then brand new Volvo 960 sedan. I was so excited to buy the new halogen bulbs advertised by Sylvania that can see further and etc. So I got a set and put them in. It got so hot that it started to melt the light housing. Lucky for me it got so hot that the bulbs burned themselves out before any further damage to the light housing. I remembered that they were expensive back then.

So just because it is made by one of the "famous brands", doe not really mean much except for the much higher price justified due to the R&D and marketing money spent. They must recoup all those money spent somehow. One must do his own testing and decide. So for me, I hooked the lights up and let the lights lit up for hours and see if they got hot.

Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by irondonkey
these "famous brands" actually put the R&D in developing the bulbs. they are of OEM spec, and of quality.

everything else is essentially chinese made, hardware put together. not all chinese bulbs are made equal.

Quick Reply: Installed led (bulb) headlights and foglights in my 2012 CT Fsport