CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

How do you like your CT200h? Need to hear from the owners instead of reviewers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-16, 06:35 PM
Abogos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you like your CT200h? Need to hear from the owners instead of reviewers!

Hello,

I am in the process of getting a 2012/13 used car and I have multiple options such as mk6 VW Gti (Didn't like it much after test drive), second gen IS250/350, VW CC, and CT200h f sport which is on top of my list. All of these cars are in the range of $18-22k for a 2012/13 model with low miles.

If I get a ct200h ill get the 2012/13 f sport model because I like the older grill better and of course the f sport features, no offense here guys!
I have watched the reviews of this car and in most of them the reviewers kill the car and make it look like it's the worst car ever!

I think it looks good and it has lexus quality but based on reviews this car has a VERY bad performance. So, I want to hear from the owners about their experience with their ct200h. Is the performance really that bad? Can you give me an example where the car let you down? IF ANY!
Overall, besides the MPG, how do you like and what do you like about your CT200?
I believe your input will greatly help me in my decision.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-16, 05:50 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It's a hybrid. It's a Prius like vehicle that been Lexus - ized. Hybrids are designed to provide high MPG -- The engineering and manufacturing expense went into providing MPG.

I purchased our CT last fall vs getting another Prius -- I still have our Prius. The family drives a lot and the Prius has so far provided 130k + of economical MPG and 0 extra maintenance costs. I expect the same from the Lexus -- so far only 10k.

We have been getting mid 40's MPG. It's not a VW GTI and does not pretend to be.
Old 04-10-16, 07:28 AM
Abogos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yeldogt
It's a hybrid. It's a Prius like vehicle that been Lexus - ized. Hybrids are designed to provide high MPG -- The engineering and manufacturing expense went into providing MPG.

I purchased our CT last fall vs getting another Prius -- I still have our Prius. The family drives a lot and the Prius has so far provided 130k + of economical MPG and 0 extra maintenance costs. I expect the same from the Lexus -- so far only 10k.

We have been getting mid 40's MPG. It's not a VW GTI and does not pretend to be.
Well Yes, it is very obvious that its not a gti and it doesn't try to be a gti, if I consider gti is because I lose mpg but i gain performance but that is what i need to decide. However, if the CT200h's performance is not as bad as what the reviewers say I will go with CT.
That is why I said besides mpg, what do you like about your car? is the performance in the level that I can live with afer driving a 2.2L 4cyl camry for years? I am not swithcing from a performance car.

Last edited by Abogos; 04-10-16 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-10-16, 10:43 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Go drive it once or twice. I took out the Prius 4 or 5 times -- sent two family members to try it out. It had been 20 years since I had a 4cyl car ... let alone a hybrid.

We do mostly city -- suburban driving. We have vacation places both under 1.5 hours away -- partial highway at 75mph. Only one or two people in the car.

We have other cars. I find the CT's seats very comfortable -- it has a good driving position. It's a very nice small car ... especially if you are going to put a lot of miles on it. I can't think of anything to complain about. My Lexus vehicles have been so reliable -- and the Prius is unbelievable.
Old 04-10-16, 12:39 PM
Abogos
Driver School Candidate

I just came back from the dealership and had my first experience driving a CT200h.

I drove a 2013 f sport model. I would say I really really liked it and the acceleration is not that bad, the reviews kinda exaggerate it. I don't think it is a car that you won't be able to live with unless you are switching froma performance car which is not my case.
I have 2 things that I would like to ask you.
1) The trunk looked VERY small to me, I am a single guy but I mean do you think it is a decent size?
2) On the freeway, the car kept reving high on a 65mph speed, any thing to do to get around this?
Old 04-10-16, 12:59 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Abogos
I just came back from the dealership and had my first experience driving a CT200h.

I drove a 2013 f sport model. I would say I really really liked it and the acceleration is not that bad, the reviews kinda exaggerate it. I don't think it is a car that you won't be able to live with unless you are switching froma performance car which is not my case.
I have 2 things that I would like to ask you.
1) The trunk looked VERY small to me, I am a single guy but I mean do you think it is a decent size?
2) On the freeway, the car kept reving high on a 65mph speed, any thing to do to get around this?
2013 owner here w/ ~26k miles on my F-sport. Performance is great if you plan to use the car within its scope of purpose; basically like yeldogt was saying - for driving in traffic and side streets. Using the car for high speed road trips or with a heavy load will decrease your MPG which is the purpose of driving a hybrid.

The trunk space has not been an issue for me. And if you need more space, the back seats go down completely (parallel to the ground), so you'll have a ton a space. I can fit my Pelican 1750 long rifle case without needing to put the back seats down.

I'm not sure why the car you drove was "reving high" at 65MPH. If you have the drive mode on normal or eco, the gauge on the left that is usually the RPM should be on ECO. Maybe try driving again and try not to have the gauge on POWER.
Old 04-10-16, 01:39 PM
Abogos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RonSwanson
2013 owner here w/ ~26k miles on my F-sport. Performance is great if you plan to use the car within its scope of purpose; basically like yeldogt was saying - for driving in traffic and side streets. Using the car for high speed road trips or with a heavy load will decrease your MPG which is the purpose of driving a hybrid.

The trunk space has not been an issue for me. And if you need more space, the back seats go down completely (parallel to the ground), so you'll have a ton a space. I can fit my Pelican 1750 long rifle case without needing to put the back seats down.

I'm not sure why the car you drove was "reving high" at 65MPH. If you have the drive mode on normal or eco, the gauge on the left that is usually the RPM should be on ECO. Maybe try driving again and try not to have the gauge on POWER.
Well, for me the car will be mostly driven on the freeway, sometimes with traffic and sometimes without. I will be driving 30-40 miles everyday.
Yeah, i mean even in the reviewes the trunk hasnt been mentioned as an issue, so I guess it s sufficient.
When I entered the freeway the sales guy put the driving mode on sport, maybe that's why? But i could hear the engine reving high and not moving faster.
Old 04-10-16, 03:51 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

My car has been doing great. I really like it. Always feel good driving it.

It is sporty, very stable and sure-footed (I have a Mustang GT with performance upgrades and I am far more confident pushing my CT than it), and handles bumps and rough roads well.

Quiet but not true Lexus quiet (to save weight for fuel economy, which is a higher priority for Lexus on this car).

While not very powerful, it is more than capable when in Sport mode where you get full electric motor assist plus very strong throttle response. I just hate how heavy the steering gets. Regarding the engine revving issue mentioned, I am assuming it is the engine noise in the previous CT (2011-2013 models) since there isn't as much noise deadening. Although, at 65 MPH, going straight without wind pushing against your car, your engine should be around 1500 RPMs, which is not high at all! Check this by going into Sport mode or turning on the tachometer in your settings.
Old 04-10-16, 04:05 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Agree with all additional comments. When it's in power mode the throttle is a bit touchy -- that could have been your issue. Sometimes in the city I use power mode -- otherwise it's normal. I never use eco.
The car can get a bit buzzy at high speeds ... but it's minor. It's the perfect car for a 40 min drive with one person.

I have a lightly optioned 2015 -- not the f. I have found the trunk to be very usable ... not able to get what we can in the Prius. I personally like hatchbacks -- many don't. They are the way to go with a smaller car.
Old 04-10-16, 04:51 PM
Abogos
Driver School Candidate

Yes, maybe it was because of the power mode. I agree, i liked everything about the car, very comfortable although it had stiffer suspension, and honestly legroom for me wasnt too bad, and i am 6'1". In the back my knees were touching the front seat but I don't have any friend or family memeber who is anywhere close to me in height and will seat in the back of my car for a long distance, so it is not an issue. BUT, i just remembered something else, the visibility when reversing. I remember I had to revrese when going out of dealership lot and I noticed there wasn't enough visibility when backing up, have you had any issue with this? or do you even agree with me?
Old 04-10-16, 06:09 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Abogos
Yes, maybe it was because of the power mode. I agree, i liked everything about the car, very comfortable although it had stiffer suspension, and honestly legroom for me wasnt too bad, and i am 6'1". In the back my knees were touching the front seat but I don't have any friend or family memeber who is anywhere close to me in height and will seat in the back of my car for a long distance, so it is not an issue. BUT, i just remembered something else, the visibility when reversing. I remember I had to revrese when going out of dealership lot and I noticed there wasn't enough visibility when backing up, have you had any issue with this? or do you even agree with me?
Yes, the rear visibility is lacking -- especially in my case w/ 5% tint. I would recommend getting one with a backup camera or DIY install yourself.
Old 04-10-16, 06:18 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Yes .. Car takes a little getting used to backing up. I don't have Nav -- mine has the back-up camera in the rear view mirror ... I like that location.
Old 04-10-16, 07:39 PM
Abogos
Driver School Candidate

yeah im getting one with back up camera. Need your opinion. I have found a 2013 f sport with 40k miles. The interior is in great condition but the front bumper in the bottom on the side has some scratches because of driveway. However, the out the door price is 20k which is almost 4-5k less than the ones I have seen at the dealers including tax and fees, should I go for it or those scratches should be a deal breaker? They kinda bother me but when i punch in the numbers I am saving 70 bucks a month throughout the 5 year financing.
Also, until what mileage does the car has lexus warranty on it? as i said its a 2013 model with 40k mileage.
Old 04-11-16, 03:16 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

From the dealer ? What's the in-service date? it's from the in- service date and or 50k -- then CPO if from dealer and CPO car
Old 04-11-16, 07:41 PM
Abogos
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yeldogt
From the dealer ? What's the in-service date? it's from the in- service date and or 50k -- then CPO if from dealer and CPO car
Yes warranty from lexus dealer. I want to know usually how long/miles is lexus dealer warranty if its not a CPO car and is 2013 model and has 30-40k mileage on it. I don't know what in service date refers to.

Quick Reply: How do you like your CT200h? Need to hear from the owners instead of reviewers!