CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

has your CT 200h been reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 09:19 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sometimes with 0% and or incentives -- buying CPO is not the way to go. That's why Lexus gives the .9%.

Take my last Prius. With 0% for 5 years and massive discounts on 2015's -- why go CPO and pay more. You have to price them out.

If you put on many miles -- the CPO is the way to go. Purchases new with 0 miles and drive for 4 years and 80k -- of find a 2 year old one with 20k and take it out to 100k in 4 years -- what's the real difference. The CPO car was covered the whole time -- the new ended at 50k. Now with unlimited -- getting a higher mile one is not a problem.

The CPO warranty does not cover everything that the new warranty covers -- but it covers all the stuff that is going to matter.

I have had Lexus replace all the struts on a car with 95k because they did not like how one of the struts was working. Only Jaguar takes care of it's customers like Lexus
Old 04-05-16, 10:15 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i contacted a dealer through the email, and asked about warranty. here is the reponse-

NOTE: The CPO warranty is 6 years, in essence, for the following reason: new car warranty, 4 years or 50,000 miles, plus 2 additional years unlimited mileage once the new car warranty expires...includes "bumper to bumper" coverage.
i car i emailed about is a 2013 with 29k miles.

so it has till 2017 or 50k miles for the new car warranty. then an additional 2 years, unlimited miles after that.

in total, i have 3 more years left of coverage, unlimited miles if i were to purchase the car today.
Old 04-06-16, 02:53 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I like the unlimited mileage concept. But unless one drives a lot, I mean a lot...... to the "average" owner/driver it will not matter much. I think Lexus is doing this unlimited mileage as a marketing tool.

Take my RC-F I bought as a certified Lexus car last year with 22xx miles on the odo (before the unlimited went effective in 2016). Even with the CPO to 100K miles, I don't think I will be driving it to 100K miles before the original/CPO warranty runs out. By knowing the car is "capable" of it due to legendary reliability is comforting, I guess.

I just thought of a question: Is this CPO warranty transferable to the next buyer if I sell before the CPO warranty runs out? Does any one know for sure??? I guess I will have to look a my paperwork more carefully???

It is all good. Just enjoy the car

Originally Posted by irondonkey
i contacted a dealer through the email, and asked about warranty. here is the reponse-

i car i emailed about is a 2013 with 29k miles.

so it has till 2017 or 50k miles for the new car warranty. then an additional 2 years, unlimited miles after that.

in total, i have 3 more years left of coverage, unlimited miles if i were to purchase the car today.
Old 04-06-16, 03:06 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I think what you found on the Lexus website is correct. But just make sure they show all these to you on the paperwork you are signing.

If it were me, I will try to deal with a Lexus dealer to get a comparable car with as close as the same options, mileage, color, and etc. versus another comparable car from CarMax. Meaning try to get a better price with a Lexus dealer and get the CPO warranty backed by "Lexus".

You would be very surprised by how some of the Lexus dealer is really willing to wheel and deal once they know you are a serious and QUALIFIED buyer. Make it clear to them that YOU ARE GOING TO BUY NOW, TODAY. RIGHT NOW!!!! It is just a matter of "where"?

i'm still a bit confused with how CPO warranty works.

it's for sure 6 years, unlimited miles?

CPO prices are a couple thousand more than that of carmax, according to the inventory search for my zip code. maybe i just need to search outside of my area.

here is what is posted on the lexus site under the cars-

L/Certified Warranty and Inspection - Every L/Certified vehicle comes with a 2year/Unlimited mileage warranty with 24/7 Roadside Assistance included. If the vehicle is still under the Lexus Factory Warranty, the L/Certified Warranty will go in effect once the Factory Warranty expires. If the Factory Warranty has already expired then you will receive the 2year/Unlimited mileage starting the date of purchase.

they are offering 0.9% for 60 months though. that's a great rate.
Old 04-06-16, 07:24 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

carmax has amazing warranty as well. i do believe that it's upwards of 4 years after, not sure of mileage.

this one just got posted up, love the color and features it has-

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...results%20page
Old 04-07-16, 04:00 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

No longer available. Looks like sold already.

carmax has amazing warranty as well. i do believe that it's upwards of 4 years after, not sure of mileage.

this one just got posted up, love the color and features it has-

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...results%20page
Old 04-07-16, 05:52 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

christ that was fast. it was literally posted up yesterday.
Old 04-08-16, 10:36 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I guess it is so true. That car on the dealer sales lot only needs ONE buyer and it is SOLD!!! In certain markets, these cars are selling like hotcakes.

christ that was fast. it was literally posted up yesterday.
Old 04-10-16, 03:37 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

196,000+ miles on my 2014 F Sport (I use it for work as a courier). Here are the details regarding maintenance and reliability so far:

Reliability
No major problems so far. While you can almost feel the engine sounding rougher when starting (engine mounts wearing?), it still runs like new. No glitches or mechanical issues or noises. I've minimized engine wear by never cold-running the car (I always start the car and wait till the engine stops before I set off driving, I've changed both the drain plugs for the engine oil and transmission fluid for magnetic types to collect any loose metal particles, and for the first 80,000 miles, I was doing 5,000 mile oil changes (not on purpose, but it probably helped reduced engine wear a tiny bit for the initial break-in period.)). This car will probably stay with me for as long as I do this kind of work or for the rest of my life, whichever comes first, so I stick to a strict regiment to run it as long as possible.

Maintenance
After running some used oil analysis reports, driving mostly at 60 mph on the highway and a little city driving, and rarely pushing the car, I found that I can go 25,000 miles or so on Mobil 1's synthetic 0W-20 Extended Performance oil (this oil is guaranteed for 15,000 miles, and has a matching filter too). The reports show I can go beyond 25,000, but the filter seems to start breaking up around 24,500 to 26,000 miles. Cost at my local mechanic for an oil change is $70 for everything. I will post my oil reports eventually.

Engine and cabin air filters last 2 to 3 times longer than what's scheduled for the area I drive in and my driving style. Each are about $10-$15.

Engine and Inverter coolant flushes every 50,000 miles after the initial flushes, and they cost me about $100 each.

Spark plugs done at 124,000 miles (just a tad late from the 120,000 mile recommended point) but cost very little, about 10 minutes labor at $100 per hour labor, and the plugs cost me like $40 or something (was trying laser iridium type from NGK).

While Toyota doesn't recommend changing the transmission fluid, testers at PriusChat.com found it is worth changing every 60,000 miles after an initial change at 30,000. I've been doing this at about $120 per change using Toyota's fluid.

Brake fluid never changed as the system is sealed and has never been opened to my knowledge. No problems with brake pedal feel or brake performance. Brakes are 80% front, 70% rear (I ALWAYS use my parking brake when stopped, hence the wear), because I try to regen brake whenever possible. These are the original brake pads mind you! Never changed!

Tires wear out slow because of my driving, so I change them when they reach 3/32" or so on average at around 100,000 miles, with a 4-wheel alignment after each new tire install.

So as you can see, if you drive the usual 10,000 to 15,000 miles per year that most people tend to do, your costs will be tiny.

Last edited by Raidin; 04-10-16 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-11-16, 08:43 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

thanks for the post. this pretty much narrows down my choice of car.

i know how to do maintenance myself so seems like i will be saving a lot in the long run.

but 0 issues with the battery, even at 196k miles? did it lose some of it charge over time? surely it has to.
Old 04-11-16, 11:30 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for the post. this pretty much narrows down my choice of car.

i know how to do maintenance myself so seems like i will be saving a lot in the long run.

but 0 issues with the battery, even at 196k miles? did it lose some of it charge over time? surely it has to.
Yes it does, and that's a high mileage for the battery. Local Toyota dealer gives it 10 year / 220 000 mile warranty, so at least some battery cells might be near their death.
Old 04-11-16, 10:28 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Raidin,

Thanks for your write up on your maintenance, great info. The only thing is that Lexus recommends brake fluid flush every 30,000 miles which is typical for most cars due to hygroscopicity of the fluid over time.
Old 04-12-16, 08:20 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

Battery
Toyota designed the battery to handle constant charging and discharging for severe use (like taxis) so I believe the wear on the battery is more time-based than use-based. I have not felt any difference in battery performance. If there were any changes, I believe I'd see a reduction in MPG. My MPG is still as good as the day I bought the car.

Brake fluid
Since the system is sealed, and no one to my knowledge has ever opened it, I am not changing the fluid. This was a recommendation from my mechanic. I am not saying people should do the same. I'm taking a risk here, but like I said before, no issues at all so far.
Old 04-12-16, 01:07 PM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not "sealed", and fluid should be / is changed like in any other car. There's very simple instructions in the service manual for fluid replacement. Must be a strange mechanic if he gives such a "recommendation".
Old 04-12-16, 10:55 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Raidin,
The brake fluid system is not hermetically sealed so moisture will eventually make its way into the system. Moisture in brake system is corrosive and could potentially be dangerous if not addressed since it reduces the boiling point. Constant braking in extreme conditions like going down from long and high altitude could heat the fluid to BP since it's been reduced with moisture. This is probably rare but theoretically could happen. Read these links, I think it will answer a lot of questions:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/188

Last edited by KKM; 04-12-16 at 11:21 PM.

Quick Reply: has your CT 200h been reliable?