CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

CT200h Door Actuator Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-16, 11:53 PM
patcwyee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CT200h Door Actuator Issues

I got my CT200h in mid 2011. In terms of performance, it has given me no major problem and mileage is great. However, my CT200h has been given me a major headache. All my four doors locks have been replaced during the first 3 years and, fortunately, it was during the warranty period. But since then another 3 doors locks are not functioning again. Each time, the service unit of the main authorized agent in Malaysia informed me that the door actuators was malfunctioning. As the warranty period is over, the repair cost for the 3 door actuators will be around US$1,000.

I am of the view that this is likely to be a manufacturer's defect as I have never experience such similar problem with all my other cars that I have and used to have. I am also concerned that there is no assurance that such similar problem will not occur again after the repair has been carried out.

Has anyone here face such problem before? If yes, please share your experience as I am considering my next course of action.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-16, 11:19 AM
Mutorcs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the first time ever I hear about this issue...
Bad luck I guess
Old 03-20-16, 01:56 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Are the actuators working independently from each other? If so, very strange that they would go out at the same time. Not sure how they work, but something might be shorting them, if so solve that first otherwise new ones might suffer the same fate.
Old 03-20-16, 07:01 PM
patcwyee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mutorcs
That's the first time ever I hear about this issue...
Bad luck I guess
I think so too. But I am of the view that there may be some manufacturer's defect here.
Old 03-20-16, 08:49 PM
patcwyee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KKM
Are the actuators working independently from each other? If so, very strange that they would go out at the same time. Not sure how they work, but something might be shorting them, if so solve that first otherwise new ones might suffer the same fate.
I believe that the actuators are working independently. And they did not go out at the same time. It is just that the actuator will go out immediately, it will take months before it is totally out. By the time, one is out, another actuator started becoming problematic.

The local authorized service center had taken 3 days to look at the problem and could not find out the cause of the problem. I am currently in talks with them as my car is out of warranty. They are offering 30% off plus 1 year warranty and I have yet to accept it yet. I am concerned that the new replacements will face the same fate as mentioned by you.
Old 03-22-16, 08:17 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

This is a common Toyota/Lexus issue and they all use the same part. It can be done yourself for far less, or buy the part and pay an independent to do it for you. This will be far less expensive if no longer under warranty. See this link to the RX350 forum where it has been discussed a few times, it also has a link to the part on Amazon

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...actuators.html

This link is to a post with a YouTube video instruction link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...xus-rx350.html

Also removing most door panels is pretty similar to what is shown, especially since all are the same manufacturer.

I had a 2012 CT200h F-Sport SE for a couple years so still check this forum once in a while.

Last edited by Clutchless; 03-22-16 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-22-16, 11:17 PM
patcwyee
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Clutchless, for the information.

I am surprised that this is a common problem for Lexus. I never had this problem with my Nissan Teana nor my previous cars (all Japanese cars).

Maybe it is bad luck but I just had the hybrid battery changed due to some problem. Fortunately the battery was still under the 5 years warranty. If not, it would cost at least US$2K. Appears to me that it may not worth it to have a hybrid car as you end up incurring more for repair and maintenance as compared to the savings from gasoline consumption. Sigh!