CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Maintenance Req. @ 30k

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-16, 04:56 PM
Emotionr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Maintenance Req. @ 30k

My wife's 2013 CT200H, just mentioned to me she is getting a "Maintenance Required" message.
I checked her oil level and still good. Her mileage is at 30,320k

Aside from checking the following oils:
Engine, transmission, brake and coolant.
- Checked them and all in good levels.

I also checked the tire pressures and all good, but may need to get a new tire since it seems there is a slow leak on one of them.

Is there any reason I should take it to the dealer to check?
Most importantly, since it is classified as "Under warranty" at 30k.

Will they be inspecting for FREE? or is it charged?
What could I expect, if I did take it in while still in the 30k warranty?

Please advise, as I am debating to take it in or just do my usual car checks / change and reset the light.

Thanks!

Last edited by Emotionr; 03-06-16 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-06-16, 09:52 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The recommended things to do at 30k are brake fluid flush, replace air filter, and replace cabin air filter. You can reset the maintenance light yourself instead of the dealer who would most likely charge you. Those are the things I did besides the regular oil change and tire rotation.
Old 03-07-16, 05:29 AM
Emotionr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by KKM
The recommended things to do at 30k are brake fluid flush, replace air filter, and replace cabin air filter. You can reset the maintenance light yourself instead of the dealer who would most likely charge you. Those are the things I did besides the regular oil change and tire rotation.
It is what I figured, but wanted to check.
All the cars I've own. I've never taken any of my cars to the dealer, unless if it was a BB recall.
However, since this is the first time owning a Lexus; though, wife's Lexus. I was wondering for her sake.

Other then that, looks like I ain't falling for a dealer reset + charge.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-16, 12:31 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My local dealer has service specials ... couple of times per year .. for most regular service items i don't find my dealer to be overpriced.

I change my own -- air and cabin filters.

And with Lexus service they will pick the car up with a loaner -- it's one of the best parts of Lexus ownership.
Old 03-08-16, 06:11 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Keep in mind that your Toyota dealer can do much of any work that Lexus can, for a much cheaper price. For example, I just had the brake flush done by them today for 99 bucks. Everything else I do myself (oil change, filters, plugs, etc).
Old 03-09-16, 02:10 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it is not just about checking the levels or that something is wrong with the car, it is a service reminder for the first major 30k service, listed below for your reference

not getting into the debate of whether one should do the service at dealer (and I always do), of course you can do everything yourself but for me it's a small price to pay for the safety and time is money. I paid around $400 for the 30k service, few days with the loaner and dealer drives 45 miles to my house to pick up my car and drop it off is well worth it in my book.

Replace engine oil and oil filter (0W-20)
Rotate tires and adjust tire pressures as required
Replace air conditioner filter
Replace brake fluid
Replace engine air filter
Replace smart key battery
Reset maintenance reminder light
Road test vehicle
Check installation of driver's floor mat
Inspect axle shaft boots
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect body
Inspect brake lines and hoses
Inspect brake rotor thickness and runout
Inspect engine coolant
Inspect exhaust pipes and mounting
Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses.
Inspect fuel tank cap gasket
Inspect inverter coolant
Inspect rack and pinion steering assembly
Inspect steering linkage and boots
Inspect transmission for signs of leakage
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
Old 03-10-16, 03:37 PM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 30k dealer maintenance was my biggest regret owning the CT.

I was away on a business trip and arranged the wife to take it to our local dealer (I too thought it was important to be dealer serviced while under warranty). While I was away, she briefly mentioned that they gave her an RX loaner and the service cost came to around $600. Suffice it to say I was livid, and ended up calling the service manager immediately to give him a piece of my mind.

In the end, he agreed to refund roughly $150 off the invoice, but to this day, still find it quite insulting that they blatantly took advantage of my family's trust. Our 2013 now has 60k on the odometer and hasn't been back to the dealer ever since. I still remember one of my comments over the phone in that I asked them "Who in their right minds would pay $600 to service a Lexus Prius."
Old 03-12-16, 10:34 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

Keep in mind that the message you're seeing is based on a timer that looks at time and mileage. I don't believe the system is triggered by any sensor in the car. It just wants you to follow the factory maintenance schedule, which has something to do every 5k miles.
Old 03-12-16, 12:10 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by edgalang
The 30k dealer maintenance was my biggest regret owning the CT.

I was away on a business trip and arranged the wife to take it to our local dealer (I too thought it was important to be dealer serviced while under warranty). While I was away, she briefly mentioned that they gave her an RX loaner and the service cost came to around $600. Suffice it to say I was livid, and ended up calling the service manager immediately to give him a piece of my mind.

In the end, he agreed to refund roughly $150 off the invoice, but to this day, still find it quite insulting that they blatantly took advantage of my family's trust. Our 2013 now has 60k on the odometer and hasn't been back to the dealer ever since. I still remember one of my comments over the phone in that I asked them "Who in their right minds would pay $600 to service a Lexus Prius."
Lol, I mean you're taking it into the dealership to get a routine service, I think most would assume you're going to get an inflated bill. Also, our model isn't exactly top of the line Lexus, yet they probably still have to charge us a relative price than they would charge someone bringing in their LFA for the same type of car service.

If I didn't have the maintenance package w/ my car I definitely would not be taking it into the dealership for service. Although the service is great and the last time I went I was able to drive an RC loaner.

Here is a link that should reset the "Maintenance Required" light: https://northparklexusatdominion.wor...nt-reqd-light/
Old 03-13-16, 08:45 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

The 30k is basically an oil change and tire rotation. The brake fluid is time -- not mileage.

Have many cars .. I order the filters online and have them in the garage. The air and cabin filters are so easy to replace on most cars (especially so with the CT) with the low cost .. I just replace them. I order the wiper inserts too - $20 ... takes another few minutes. The car will tell you when the fob batteries need to be replaced .... I have them around also.

The service reminder is 5k .. and should be 10k. It's a 30 second reset.

The rest of the stuff is inspections -- and they do that anyway ... with the $60.00 oil change/ inspection special.

Last edited by yeldogt; 03-13-16 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-13-16, 08:49 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Oil "sensors" in Lexus vehicles are simply time/mileage logs. They do not "sense" or monitor oil condition, like a BMW and some others do.

With regards to Edgalang's post above and the $600 dollar service, I'm surprised that the bill caught you off guard.. I've never entered into a service or purchase without knowing ahead of time what the cost/bill would be. The service intervals are a money grab that lure you into believing that they're necessary for warranty etc. They're a major money grab that nets the dealer a ton of money. You'll note that 95% of the service is to "Check" items and components. They may or may not actually check them. Many of these "checks" can be done for free (ie brake checks, suspension, tires etc), by independent shops. There is NO WAY I would pay for that. You're essentially paying 600 dollars for an oil change.and a couple of filters. Ridiculous, I don't sympathize for anyone that willingly pays these fees or rates. Be a savvy consumer and take that 600 dollars and go on a nice night out with your loved ones.
Old 03-13-16, 01:10 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

You don't have to go to the dealer for regular maintenance in order to get any warranty work done.

I can't see a dealer passing up warranty work ... The independent warranty companies will absolutely do it.

I have had many CPO Lexus vehicles (100k mile warranty) -- Lexus bends over backwards. Never a problem ... in fact just the opposite .. the fix stuff they don't have to.

Unfortunately -- this whole maintenance trap continues. My local dealer has a $249.00 30k service -- it's plus parts and tax .... is about $350.00. It's the same service as the oil/ rotation coupon service with the inspection with the two filters added.