CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Should I get an alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 05:25 AM
GrnKouki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get an alignment?

Sup guys, My car has 41k miles and it's time for new set of tires would you recommend getting the car realign? I'm getting the stock Michelin if you guys are wondering. Thanks for input
Old 01-19-16, 07:38 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes. They're cheap, unless the dealer does it. Even then, it's still worth it.

Last edited by User 41924; 01-19-16 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 12:57 PM
lcneed
Driver

I had it done when I switch to 2nd sets... and same tires like yours. The first lasted 70,000 miles LOL. I am still on my 2nd sets at 120,000 miles. Dealer said I still have many more miles to go. Best tires ever.
Old 01-19-16, 04:09 PM
GrnKouki
Driver School Candidate

I totally agree! I bought my car back in 2013, I'm surprised the tires lasted this long lol. I put about 30miles a day to and back from work. Even more on the weekend.
Old 01-19-16, 06:31 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

We never do it unless we notice something in the steering, track or the tires have unusual wear.
Old 01-20-16, 08:01 AM
TucsonLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheap insurance to get the most out of a new set of rubber. I always have the alignment checked when buying new tires.
Old 01-20-16, 08:58 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TucsonLex
Cheap insurance to get the most out of a new set of rubber. I always have the alignment checked when buying new tires.

Checked or done?

I hate to tell everyone -- but .... many times they charge and don't actually do anything.

Years ago with kingpins and more adjustments -- it was necessary. This is like 3k oil changes -- cars are different today -- especially simple strut systems.

We have many Toyota products that go 200k+ and are never touched. I would be more concerned about a shop changing the geometry on a car that is fine and properly set at the factory to something that is not. I changed the tires on a Prius w/90k -- first set. Why would a mess it up -- car now has 130k.

You can tell if something is up. Obviously required when parts are changed
Old 01-20-16, 09:39 AM
TucsonLex
Driver School Candidate

Having it checked and having it done require almost the same labor(same cost as well). If you don't trust the shop to do the correct job for the adjustment, maybe look for a different shop. I live where there are many potholes and poor street repair, so making sure my tires are going to wear evenly is important to me.

Hope that this helps!
Old 01-20-16, 01:49 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Tucsonlex: My point is that most modern cars don't require alignments. If they are out -- then something is bent or a part requires fixing.

Years ago it was understood that a car may require an alignment every 30-50k -- about the life of a set of tires. so doing so with new tires was a recommendation that matched about what was needed.

A strut is fixed -- same with a tie rod.
Old 01-20-16, 02:30 PM
TucsonLex
Driver School Candidate

Actually there can be an adjustment to change if the tire rides in the inside edge or outer edge. Nothing needs to be broken for this to be off, and your tires will wear out faster if they are not riding on the complete tread of the tire. This is not as evident from the driver's seat, and needs to be looked at by a qualified shop.
Old 01-20-16, 04:54 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Tucsonlex: My point is that most modern cars don't require alignments. If they are out -- then something is bent or a part requires fixing.

Years ago it was understood that a car may require an alignment every 30-50k -- about the life of a set of tires. so doing so with new tires was a recommendation that matched about what was needed.

A strut is fixed -- same with a tie rod.
modern cars do not req alignments... Thats new news to me. Any links/supporting info available for that statement? Also.... Why are the tie rods adjustable and not fixed?
Old 01-20-16, 07:32 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

I give up -- Please .....everybody get an alignment every two years -- spend the $100 bucks and feel happy.

I own a company with a fleet of cars -- trust me I don't want to have cars that are out of alignment for numerous reasons -- tire wear being one.

No one in the fleet business does regular alignments without cause. It's not done -- you will know when the alignment is out. If all feels well and your tires are fine -- buy a share of apple stock ... don't waste your money.
Old 01-20-16, 07:38 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I shall get an alignment in your honor

But really tho... Can you share a link with the info i requested above? Thanks in advance
Old 01-20-16, 07:48 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

I should have said "regular" or "scheduled" alignments.

Why fix something that does not need fixing.

Google "fleet managemenT .. I'm sure someplace this will come up. It's not been a topic for years -- just like 3k oil changes. It old and established.

There is no point in aligning a vehicle that does not need it? I don't know what more to say. If you want to get one -- great. I'm trying to tell people that many auto service centers still recommend alignments .. because people don't know any better. They make money doing a service that's not needed -- often not doing anything. You can't fix something that is not broken -- if the car is tracking correctly and the tires are wearing properly -- you don't have a problem.

This is not a contest chargerfan ... I don't need to be right or correct ... I'm giving information.

Last edited by yeldogt; 01-21-16 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-21-16, 09:07 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Why are the tie rods adjustable and not fixed?
What a silly question. So you can adjust them if you NEED to. You could hit a curb, be in a collision with a deer (as I was) or other accident, your suspension requires service due to worn bushings, your tires are wearing uneven or short tread life, you get a pull in the steering, etc. Wheel alignments are not scheduled maintenance items. Yeldogt is correct. But hey.....if you want an alignment every year or two to make yourself feel better....have at it. You should also replace or repair your muffler bearings.

Last edited by roadfrog; 01-21-16 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Should I get an alignment?