CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Fender Bender (UGH!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 09:10 AM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender Bender (UGH!)

I got backed into by a lady in a Jeep Patriot VERY first thing this morning. I'm okay, she's ok, but my car isn't drivable. It took a decent hit to the right front fender, shattered my headlight, cracked my front bumper and I'm worried about my right front suspension as the wheel was leaned in a bit. I've worked as an insurance appraiser before, so I started assessing the damages on spot. I can't see any of my innerstructure, but it hit hard enough that it knocked the overflow jug loose, plastic inner fender, and probably control arm and tie rod end.

The lady was very, very gracious and apologetic. She immediately claimed responsibility, got on the phone with her insurance company, admitted fault to her agent, and I had my car towed to Price's Collision Center (its where my nearest Lexus dealership sends their repairs). The adjuster for the other insurance company has already made contact with me and is waiting to speak to the insured party before agreeing to pay, but I feel like its going to be relatively painless.

I'm not at all familiar with the structural components on our cars, but I THINK the car is OK in that department. No airbag deployment, no coolant lost. I'm GUESSING $5k?, but without seeing the car tore down, it could go up or down.

Old 01-11-16, 03:52 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to hear but we have very similar incident, just FYI, I'm surprised yours wasn't drivable after that

some truck hit our CT on the day we picked up the car from dealer, this was a $14k damage, no frame or engine damage, was still able to drive it to the curb for tow truck

Old 01-11-16, 03:59 PM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

Originally Posted by whlkev
sorry to hear but we have very similar incident, just FYI, I'm surprised yours wasn't drivable after that

some truck hit our CT on the day we picked up the car from dealer, this was a $14k damage, no frame or engine damage, was still able to drive it to the curb for tow truck

Ouch! The right front wheel took a hard hit and the suspension is bent. The fender is up against the tire. I was able to back it up so she could get out and go to work. It BARELY scratched her rear bumper.

I'm glad you posted that picture, because I've never seen one of our cars tore down. I'm now thinking the apron on mine is bent (inside metal from the strut tower forward) because the overlfow jug was loose and I saw some other bolts that had been shifted.
Old 01-11-16, 04:06 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

funny or sad? thing was that the headlight flew off into the center divider and was stolen when I went to retrieve it ...sigh

good luck to you and speedy recovery for the car, mine was in the shop for a month
Old 01-11-16, 05:26 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

That's going to be like 3k, max.

There's no way your suspension is tweaked.
Let alone your apron.

I'll be shocked if the adjuster comes back with more than bumper cover, paint, fender, headlamp, maybe wheel liner & a few clips.

I've been around quite a few salvage cars, have owned three, have parted out numerous ones.
It takes a lot more than that 5mph COSMETIC damage to ruin an apron/suspension.

These cars would be deemed un-roadworthy by IIHS, and playdoh would go bankrupt from supplying Lexus to make their CT200h frames......
Old 01-11-16, 05:31 PM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL

Let alone your apron.

I'll be shocked if the adjuster comes back with more than bumper cover, paint, fender, headlamp, maybe wheel liner & a few clips.

I've been around quite a few salvage cars, have owned three, have parted out numerous ones.

These cars would be deemed un-roadworthy by IIHS, and playdoh would go bankrupt from supplying Lexus to make their CT200h frames......
I've worked as an appraiser and rebuilt dozens of salvage cars. RF wheel was tilted in, overflow jug that is attached to strut tire was moved. It was a decent hit.
Old 01-11-16, 07:20 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear that! I would think the bumper & headlight alone would cost some $2500 already, not to mention other damages. Unless they can re-use some of the parts of the bumper like grille and chrome molding etc. It costs me $1500 to upgrade my 2012 bumper to the 2015 f-sport bumper with my own free labor. That OEM headlight alone is over $1000.
Old 01-12-16, 03:23 AM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL

Let alone your apron.

Maybe 3k max if OP is trying to go bottom barrel repairs, but since he said it's not his fault I'm guessing he's going to get it fix at that "probably not bottom barrel" Lexus dealership body shop.

Shall we take estimate bets lol? I'll guess 5k (most being the front, side and headlight assembly).
Old 01-12-16, 05:25 PM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

Things are never as easy as they should be:

The insurance adjuster and I are going 'round & 'round over the use of aftermarket parts on my car. I don't want them at all and she told me their policy is that they must be used unless the vehicle was manufactured in the current year (2016).

An appraiser who didn't know his butthole from his elbow came out and wrote an estimate without lifting the hood. As I expected, the right front apron did in fact wrinkle, but none of that is included.

Apron = unibody. The wheel is tilted in (not included), they want to repair the front bumper that has busted in 3 different places and use an aftermarket headlight and right front fender. I told her that aftermarket parts would negatively impact my resale value, but she told me that the resale value dropped the moment the car was driven off the lot (not ish Sherlock? ), but as I pointed out - aftermarket parts will negatively impact the resale value even further. She simply told me if I didn't like their policy, I could take it up with my own insurance company and see if they would repair using OEM.

I'd be fine with used OEM so long as they're from a car with approximately the same or fewer miles, but because there's no warranty with used parts and aftermarket parts come with a lifetime warranty, I was basically told to go pound sand.

I've now asked for rental as I have my second car for sale and I don't want to rack the miles up. The estimator at the bodyshop hasn't even looked at my car yet, but I look forward to his estimate. I showed him a picture of the apron and its repairable, but he said there would be a supplement.

Tomorrow the adjuster and I are going to go to school on the definition of indemnity as it pertains to repairing my car using OEM parts.
Old 01-12-16, 06:09 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you contact your insurance company? Most policies specific that you contact them?

Some ... if not most are difficult with third party claims. Sad to say.

If you have a good company they will take care of you.
Old 01-13-16, 12:15 AM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CTFSportSE
Things are never as easy as they should be:

The insurance adjuster and I are going 'round & 'round over the use of aftermarket parts on my car. I don't want them at all and she told me their policy is that they must be used unless the vehicle was manufactured in the current year (2016).

An appraiser who didn't know his butthole from his elbow came out and wrote an estimate without lifting the hood. As I expected, the right front apron did in fact wrinkle, but none of that is included.

Apron = unibody. The wheel is tilted in (not included), they want to repair the front bumper that has busted in 3 different places and use an aftermarket headlight and right front fender. I told her that aftermarket parts would negatively impact my resale value, but she told me that the resale value dropped the moment the car was driven off the lot (not ish Sherlock? ), but as I pointed out - aftermarket parts will negatively impact the resale value even further. She simply told me if I didn't like their policy, I could take it up with my own insurance company and see if they would repair using OEM.

I'd be fine with used OEM so long as they're from a car with approximately the same or fewer miles, but because there's no warranty with used parts and aftermarket parts come with a lifetime warranty, I was basically told to go pound sand.

I've now asked for rental as I have my second car for sale and I don't want to rack the miles up. The estimator at the bodyshop hasn't even looked at my car yet, but I look forward to his estimate. I showed him a picture of the apron and its repairable, but he said there would be a supplement.

Tomorrow the adjuster and I are going to go to school on the definition of indemnity as it pertains to repairing my car using OEM parts.
Now you have me wondering...how does it SUPPOSED to work with aftermarket parts that get damaged in an accident? Do they just try to replace it the best they can? Mine are mostly cosmetic, but what about things like lights and wheels/suspension?
Old 01-13-16, 02:47 AM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Did you contact your insurance company? Most policies specific that you contact them?

Some ... if not most are difficult with third party claims. Sad to say.

If you have a good company they will take care of you.
If I don't get anywhere today, I will contact my insurance company. I had been avoiding it because I've had a few claims over the last couple of years and though none of them have been my fault, I just get nervous with an additional claim. I hit a deer in 2013, in 2014 my old car got hit while parked by a former co-worker (who tried to drive off), and last year I had a glass claim.

The other insurance company has a legal obligation to put my car back to pre-collision condition and to protect me from financial loss as a result of the accident: Indemnity.
Originally Posted by jtnoboru
Now you have me wondering...how does it SUPPOSED to work with aftermarket parts that get damaged in an accident? Do they just try to replace it the best they can? Mine are mostly cosmetic, but what about things like lights and wheels/suspension?
When aftermarket parts are damaged, aftermarket parts are okay to be used again. If my car were older or had high miles, I probably wouldn't care. Aftermarket parts aren't the devil, but they do negatively impact resale value. I have a 2012 F-Sport Special Edition (1 of 900; 1 of 300 in Nebula Gray) that hit 30k last week. Aside from a scuff on the front bumper (that I had wet sanded smooth and polished down), the car had no paintwork, no dings, etc.

I'm COMPLETELY OK with used OEM parts from a comparable CT being used. I'm NOT ok with the estimate including an aftermarket fender and headlight, I'm not ok with the estimate wanting to repair my bumper, and I'm embarrassed for the insurance company who sent out an appraiser who inspected the car without raising the hood, who didn't list the suspension damage, and who missed the uni-body damage.
Old 01-13-16, 07:31 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Your policy is ... in theory .. designed to make you whole. You paid for for policy .. your insurance company has a direct obligation to you .. following the policy. Using the collision as an example .... Chubb is going to provide a higher level of "whole" when compared to a State Farm or Allstate.

The other parties insurance has no obligation to you at all. They are only protecting the policy holder ... and that is not you! They have no obligation to protect you from financial loss ... they are only concerned about what possible loss they may encounter should you litigate.
Old 01-14-16, 01:01 AM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

Originally Posted by yeldogt
they are only concerned about what possible loss they may encounter should you litigate.
That should be a legitimate concern for them because as I explained to her, I would have an appraiser write an appraisal before the accident and after the accident using aftermarket parts and I would pursue the difference. Yes, it makes a difference in the resell value.

I got a rental today. Ironically enough, a 2016 Jeep Patriot not terribly different than the one that hit me. I didn't hear from the adjuster, but I did stop by the collision center that has my car and it was being disassembled to write a full estimate. The estimator there doesn't write estimates to include aftermarket parts.

Here are two photos of my damage showing my structural areas of concern. The bolt that is attached to the strut tower has been shifted to the right 1/4" of an inch. Without having it on a frame machine to be sure, I feel like the strut tower shifted inward that far when she hit my wheel.

Second, the right front apron is wrinkled, possibly accounting for the bolt shift.
Attached Thumbnails Fender Bender (UGH!)-20160112_155135.jpg   Fender Bender (UGH!)-20160112_155232.jpg  
Old 01-14-16, 01:45 PM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CTFSportSE
I've worked as an appraiser and rebuilt dozens of salvage cars. RF wheel was tilted in, overflow jug that is attached to strut tire was moved. It was a decent hit.
I agree. But on a corolla would be 3K max.
I would not be surprised if another +2K for parts just because it is a lexus. So I could see $5K.

Quick Reply: Fender Bender (UGH!)