CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

2nd Generation CT News

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-15, 08:44 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow 2nd Generation CT News

The Lexus CT has never been a hot-selling car, as it has always sort of hovered in that realm between average and a failure. Lexus is hoping to change its fortune with the next-generation CT, and make its entry-level rig more desirable. Today, a new report from De Telegraf shed some light on Lexus’ plans with the redesigned CT.

According to an announcement from a “senior Toyota official” De Telegraaf learned that the new CT will arrive in 2017. The official also announced that, despite Lexus supposedly working on its own platform, the CT will share its underpinnings with the recently redesigned Toyota Prius.

This move to the new Prius’ platform, which is known as the Toyota Global New Architecture, should make the CT more enjoyable to drive, as it will be lighter and more ridged, plus its retuned suspension will make it a little better in the twisties.

Enjoyability could also be up thanks to an engine that is more potent than its Toyota cousin. The last-generation CT used the same 134-horsepower hybrid drive system that made performance less than inspiring, so I would bet the new Lexus wouldn’t dare use the 121-horsepower powertrain of the new Prius. The executive did mention that the TGNA can fit up to 3 4-cylinder and V-6 engines, so maybe 1 of these engines is specifically for the CT.

In terms of appearance, look for the CT to inherit all of the recent styling cues of the Lexus lineup. These will include the aggressively redesigned spindle grille, hard body angles, and checkmark LED running lights.

Look for the new CT to debut at an auto show in 2017, then make it to Lexus lots for the 2018 model year. Until then, keep it locked here for all the latest info.
Old 12-28-15, 02:49 PM
adpock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen Lexus CT Hatch Looking to Get Hotter

More details about the next generation CT hatchback are coming out, and by all indications, it sounds like another Lexus winner.

Read the rest on the Club Lexus homepage. >>
Old 12-28-15, 04:18 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Something to look forward to...in 2 years lol. I'm interested in seeing if Lexus actually releases that Dr. Seuss on shrooms creation they call the LF-SA.

Last edited by RonSwanson; 12-29-15 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-28-15, 07:19 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I did not know that the car existed -- I was about to purchase another Prius for my business and I stumbled across a reference to it while looking into other hybrids ,, specifically the Honda.

I was surprised how fast the 10 units my local dealer got is sold -- gone in about three days.. I guess they are popular in some parts of the country.

I don't see these as anything other then the Lexus version of a Prius .. without the economies in both running costs and entry I would buy something else.
Old 12-29-15, 05:32 AM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to more details - I'm hoping to replace our 2012 CT F Sport with the gen 2. More power and more efficiency with great new looks sounds most encouraging.
Old 12-29-15, 07:51 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adpock
More details about the next generation CT hatchback are coming out, and by all indications, it sounds like another Lexus winner.
The next generation CT should have the 2.5L/197 hp engine that's in the NX300h. There would be some loss in fuel efficiency compared to using the engine in the new Prius, but the big gain in performance would be worth it, IMHO.
Old 12-29-15, 08:30 AM
SteveMason
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
I did not know that the car existed -- I was about to purchase another Prius for my business and I stumbled across a reference to it while looking into other hybrids ,, specifically the Honda.

I was surprised how fast the 10 units my local dealer got is sold -- gone in about three days.. I guess they are popular in some parts of the country.

I don't see these as anything other then the Lexus version of a Prius .. without the economies in both running costs and entry I would buy something else.
That is one thing that appeals to me is that the car is somewhat exclusive in the fact that there aren't as many of them on the streets as allot of other models. It is one of those "catch 22's" in which the car is more appealing because it is somewhat rare, however if it is more rare, then that means it is not popular and not selling well.

IMO the biggest downfall of the car in the showroom is the stance. They played it safe in the name of fuel economy and gave it much too small and narrow tires. It looks like a Corolla with all of that wheel-well gap. It is like night and day with a new wheel and suspension set up. (I am still kicking myself for not putting more offset on the rear rims however!)

It is always a tricky position to be in when it comes to form over function. At least it does it a hell of allot better than a Prius, and that is why I own one.

Like everyone else I would like to see more power, or at least the option of it, however if they aren't selling that well, the cost to Lexus would be more than their return as it isn't cheap to re-engineer a car for different engines.
Old 12-29-15, 09:04 AM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JayGoldste
The next generation CT should have the 2.5L/197 hp engine that's in the NX300h. There would be some loss in fuel efficiency compared to using the engine in the new Prius, but the big gain in performance would be worth it, IMHO.
ANY gain in performance would be worth it!
Old 12-29-15, 01:01 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

SteveMason: My guess is they went as far as they felt logical .... with non hybrid cars catching up in the MPG war they risk not having enough of an advantage.

The designers of the Prius have to err on the side of MPG -- the Prius is all about utility and MPG. We bought one as a second car and used it way .. way more than anticipated. Hybrids excel around town, and in the 45-60 MPH zone found in more congested areas of the country. I actually preferred driving the Prius into the city over one of my more expensive cars -- I'm rarely driving 70mph. My dealer said many move to the CT after owning a Prius. The CT is a little nicer -- more comfortable -- and if you don't need the extra space of the Prius it's close enough to the Prius in MPG.

With gas under $2 -- it's like driving for free. I'm getting 46mpg. My CT was just under 30K. If it had been much more money or had lower MPG I would have bought another Prius. The Prius is a fantastic extra car for a larger family with many drivers.

Hybrids are in a narrow range and will never appeal to a huge audience. Most people looking for a hybrid buy a Prius -- It is the most popular hybrid. And they are buying the lower optioned Prius -- in the 22k - 23k. It's hard to make the case for the more expensive ones.

Last edited by yeldogt; 12-30-15 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-29-15, 06:01 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I can't wait and I look forward to the 2CT. Hopefully Lexus expands the CT line:

CT 200t (1st ever non-hybrid luxury hatchback)
CT 200h
CT 300h

Just like when the 1IS 300 came out, the 2IS brought us the IS 250, IS 350 and IS F.

Last edited by Trexus; 12-30-15 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-30-15, 11:02 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by GSCT
ANY gain in performance would be worth it!
Not for me. As stated already, I'm not interested in a "Catch 22" where performance gain isacrifices fuel economy. That was the whole purpose of getting the CT in addition to my LS460. If I had wanted a balance of power with MPG, I would have bought a Mazda 3 or similar.

The CT is plenty quick enough and a good handling vehicle for our purposes.
Old 01-01-16, 12:23 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 210 Likes on 122 Posts

I really dislike the new styling on the NX and new RX. Having the CT look like that will be a big turn-off for me. Now if it looks like the new Scion iM, that might work!
Old 01-02-16, 01:12 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

the next CT should be a hot hatch or offered as a hot hatch. think about how awesome a CT350 would be! or a RWD, 5 liter V8 version.. CT-F!
Old 01-04-16, 03:13 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Raidin
I really dislike the new styling on the NX and new RX. Having the CT look like that will be a big turn-off for me. Now if it looks like the new Scion iM, that might work!
the current generation CT and the new scion iM already look so much alike. it'd be like buying a slightly refreshed version of the car rather than the next generation.