CPO CT200H or CPO CRV

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-15, 09:23 AM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CPO CT200H or CPO CRV

Hi CT200h Owners,

Please let me know if anyone moved from CRV to CT200h or has a CRV and CT200h and how does it compare and your opinions on them. I have been lurking around and checking on the GX460 however i have decided to keep my old X5 for some time.
I do need something reliable and efficient , how does CT compare against CRV.

Will be used for commute as well as family trip for 3 in case the X goes belly up :-)

Thanks for your help
Jay

Last edited by jbny; 12-17-15 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-17-15, 01:11 PM
NudleBoy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The CT200h and the CRV is a completely whole different class. Our family has a CT200h, Camry Hybrid, and MDX and I can tell you that fitting your whole family in the CT200h is going to be a hell of a ride for you and them. It's a great daily commuter car and amazing in reliability but it's not a car for the family.

If you're stuck on the CRV, then go that route. Or else I would look into an RX, or if that's too pricey then jump into the Camry Hybrid. My family uses that for every road trip and every outing where our whole family jumps in. Only do we use the MDX for where we need to pack stuff or tow our boat. The Camry has outperformed my CT200h in terms of power, ability to put stuff in the trunk and seat comfortably in the back as well as maintain the exact same gas mileage as my CT200h.
Old 12-18-15, 12:54 PM
jbny
Driver

thanks Duong,

I am not set on CRV but was thinking about getting something for less than 25K which is reliable, the X5 still works ,so for trips i do prefer that. In case it goes belly up i would need the second car to work for me.

Currently i have a 325XI Wagon as my commuter car, but recently my commute went down and is only 1.5 miles, so I guess i should go with a car with the smallest engine as it will never get a chance to heat up, hence the hybrid...decisions...decisions..:-) .
i did think about the new civic too as it seems a lot better inside out than the older models, not sure how it compares to CT.
Old 12-18-15, 06:49 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this a used CT you are looking for? Unless you are going to drive it I don't see the benefit in purchasing a small car -- especially a hybrid.

I have a place in the city and two outside the city -- each about 1.5 hour drive. The perfect distance for a hybrid. I'm rarely able to drive all that fast anyway ... why have an expensive euro SUV -- going 45mph or even slower .....stop and go in the city ... all getting 13mpg on Premium fuel.

I bought a Prius 4 years ago -- it became the perfect extra car. It's not a car to take on a trip in my opinion. The CT is a little nicer and has 80 percent of the Prius utility with about a 10mpg penalty. Figured I would give it a try after we put 125k on the Prius. Most of the time it's only one driver ... I find I like diving the CT in and out of the city and around town. On country roads -- I'm never over 50mph

Another thing -- I never had to think about the Prius. Oil changes every 10k ... the first expense was tires at 90k.

Going on a trip we take something else.

Edit -- listed as CPO .. so not new.

Last edited by yeldogt; 12-19-15 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-19-15, 05:00 AM
NudleBoy
Driver

I actually think Hybrids are ideal of short trips. Unless it's below freezing temperature, usually the engine doesn't need to warm up or run a lot. I don't believe the traction battery will be affected either. They're designed to be charged and recharged, which is why Hybrids are ideal for city and stop-and-go traffic. I personally find my mileage better with short trips than I do with a long distance highway trip.
Old 12-19-15, 07:13 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

When the gas engine is running it is providing power to the car ? It's not just heating up the cat. The CT can't go very fast or far on battery alone.

The difference is that the engine will have to run when you come to a stop in order to continue to heat up -- in my experience this occurs very quickly . The MPG's may drop a tiny bit ... I'm sure they do .. this would never be a reason for me not to get a hybrid.

It's a small engine -- heats fast. We always take the Prius or CT over one of the big engined cars when running a short trip -- it heats faster and I'm getting around 10mpg on a conventional big V8.
Old 12-19-15, 09:16 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

So .........tell me how the car accelerates above 11mph from a stand still ... only on the battery. It can't

The Toyota products don't work like the Chevy Volt.

The Toyota Hybrid products need the ICE. Cold or hot the ICE is part of the mix -- the only difference in cold vs hot weather is the engine has to reach operating temp .. and this will take longer in cold weather.

I have a couple of stop signs and a light leaving my house. in the summer time the car has warmed enough getting the short distance to the light that if I miss it and have to wait -- the ICE will stop. If it is really cold -- May still have the engine running while I'm waiting for the light .. it has to be very cold.

In all cases the ICE has had to run in order to propel the car to get me to that spot -- it's not running just to maintain heat to the exhaust -- or to recharge the battery.
Old 12-19-15, 11:15 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

We have two Prius (late 11 and 12) and one CT (15) - and non of them wait 12 seconds to turn on the ICE. I'm out of my driveway in 12 seconds. I never do anything differently -- 10 degrees or 100. They definitely manage the power output when cold as the engine RPM are higher regardless of speed -- but they still have to use the engine.

Above 40mph the car has no choice -- I'm over that speed within 50- 75 yards.

And all of them will accelerate -- including increasing the engine RPM's above the higher initial warm up RPM.

Most cars adjust the timing and produce less power during warm-up. Like a few posters -- who were not answered -- mine does not work that way. The one post discusses throttle point.

I understand EV mode -- I only use EV if I am moving the car a few feet. When I'm moving cars around in the driveway.

Every car is going to be less efficient when it's cold -- I would rather have a Prius on these short trips regardless what it's doing for the first 50 seconds.
Old 12-19-15, 05:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

OK. I hate to sound like an idiot, and I was hoping the definition of "ICE" would come out.....but I can't wait any longer. WHAT THE HELL IS ICE!?? lol
Old 12-20-15, 10:36 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
OK. I hate to sound like an idiot, and I was hoping the definition of "ICE" would come out.....but I can't wait any longer. WHAT THE HELL IS ICE!?? lol
internal combustion engine
Old 12-20-15, 10:56 AM
jbny
Driver

Thanks Guys

I will look into camry and es350 if I can get anything in my budget, also is there a difference in headroom between 2013 ct200h and 2014 ct200h ? I sat in a 2014 ct200h and thought the headroom wasnt that good (i am 6ft 1 )
Its insane that i dont seem to be able to make up my mind on a class of vehicle and looking around for options which can be had for < 25k.
Old 12-20-15, 11:25 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
internal combustion engine
Gracias!!
Old 12-20-15, 09:31 PM
NudleBoy
Driver

Originally Posted by jbny
Thanks Guys

I will look into camry and es350 if I can get anything in my budget, also is there a difference in headroom between 2013 ct200h and 2014 ct200h ? I sat in a 2014 ct200h and thought the headroom wasnt that good (i am 6ft 1 )
Its insane that i dont seem to be able to make up my mind on a class of vehicle and looking around for options which can be had for < 25k.
Headroom in the 2011-2015 are all the same. Anyone 6ft over will probably notice it being a bit smaller as I came from a TL SH-AWD which was a huge car.

I think any hybrid car is great for OP if he's looking to save gas, or even consider a plug in hybrid if you really want to push the mileage. My dad personally works only 3km away and bikes or drives the Camry Hybrid everyday and is averaging about 5.2L/100km where as I work 15km away and average 6.2L/100km on my CT200h because I have to take the highway.

OP at the end of the day, I wouldn't worry about anything we really say. ICE being on vs having to drive more km's for the hybrid to charge up to save more gas. At the end of the day, the engine in a CT is a 1.8L so it's fuel efficient in the end. I would consider the long run. Are you going to drive long distance or do road trips or family trips with it or is it specifically for you to commute to work only. You could pick up or lease a Nissan leaf and have that work for your 1.5mile commute or you could have an overall ideal car that can do that as well as fit your kids/wife/groceries or luggage to trips.
Old 12-30-15, 06:55 PM
jbny
Driver

Thanks guys,

I am still looking and am planning to test drive the 2016 civic touring this weekend, anyone drive that yet ? How does it compare to the CT?

I have ruled out the bigger ES.
Old 01-02-16, 02:43 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jbny
Thanks guys,

I am still looking and am planning to test drive the 2016 civic touring this weekend, anyone drive that yet ? How does it compare to the CT?

I have ruled out the bigger ES.
Curious as to how the '16 Civic drove, especially compared to the CT? I have been reading good reviews about it. I would get the manual shifter, just can't beat the fun of shifting manually.

Quick Reply: CPO CT200H or CPO CRV