CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

CT owner's, why the low satisfaction score?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-15, 02:39 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default CT owner's, why the low satisfaction score?

According to the Jan. 2016 issue of Consumer Reports, the CT 200h had the lowest score in the hybrids/electric cars category when asked if they would definitely buy the same car again. Remember that this is a objective survey polled from CT owners so I would think it is fairly accurate given the methodology is consistent across all cars, here is the list from the category that would buy again:

- Tesla Model S - 97%
- Toyota Prius - 83%
- Chevrolet Volt - 82%
- Toyota Prius V - 77%
- BMW i3 - 76%
- Nissan Leaf - 76%
- Toyota Prius C - 74%
- Ford C-Max - 74%
- Lexus CT 200h - 63%

For me, I have the 2012 model year and the reason why I purchased it is because my employer had a great cash incentive for any employee who purchase a hybrid/electric vehicle. I looked at all available cars in that category at that time and the CT was the best fit and value. Without the incentive, the CT would be off the list of new car purchase. I do a lot of research before I purchase anything and the CT's value/performance proposition at the current price is poor. Would I purchase this car again? Without employer incentive, that would be a definite no, there are a lot of other choices out there in the mid-30's that I could think of that I rather consider. With employer incentive, it would be a maybe, since there are more choices now than 4 years ago.

Would be curious how owners on this forum would answer given the same question.

At least CR reports the CT is still one of the most reliable cars out there.

Last edited by Trexus; 12-05-15 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 03:38 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I would definitely buy the CT 200h again. The 2CT is coming and I'm sure Lexus will improve upon the CT and hopefully Lexus will also expand the CT line. I look forward to the next generation CT...

The CT is an entry level luxury hatchback so it can't be compared to an LX 570 which definitely has tons of space. If one needs more space the NX 200t/300h is available. If you need even more space the RX 350/450h is also available.

Last edited by Trexus; 12-06-15 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-05-15, 04:37 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Interesting. We've only owned ours for a week now, but we are VERY happy so far. No way would I choose the Prius over the CT. That thing is just hard on the eyes. The CT is so much more pretty.
Old 12-05-15, 08:36 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Interesting. We've only owned ours for a week now, but we are VERY happy so far. No way would I choose the Prius over the CT. That thing is just hard on the eyes. The CT is so much more pretty.
agreed. i've only had mine for a week or so and i also think it's a whole lot better looking than anything in the prius family of vehicles. it's not the prettiest car, though it is a decently handsome hatchback that provides for reliable, efficient transportation.
Old 12-05-15, 11:38 PM
NudleBoy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my car but I can see where people come to this. The car is very cramped compared to a Prius, and also has quite the expensive price tag. And to be honest, it doesn't feel or sound like a Lexus or has that sound deadening Lexus quality that other models had. That being said, it is an entry level Lexus in my opinion and has been great to me.

If you think about price, size, and interior. Overall it is overpriced, smaller than your average prius, and quite outdated compared to the competition.
Old 12-06-15, 02:46 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Below average ride comfort and smallish interior volume could be the issues..
Old 12-06-15, 06:02 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by nacke
Below average ride comfort and smallish interior volume could be the issues..
and not enough power from what i've been reading around the internet. enough for me as a commuter vehicle, but i suppose not enough for someone who has a family or who hauls (small) things around in.
Old 12-06-15, 08:21 AM
Jezo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
and not enough power from what i've been reading around the internet. enough for me as a commuter vehicle, but i suppose not enough for someone who has a family or who hauls (small) things around in.
But why would someone who needs all that buy a tiny hatchback with a micro engine?

You'd think people would factor that stuff in before buying one.
Old 12-06-15, 10:19 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It may be because they're expecting more from a car that costs $7,000 more than a Prius. You accept the Prius because it's cheap and delivers good gas mileage, but you expect more from a Lexus and they fault it more.
Old 12-06-15, 10:28 AM
xCaldazar
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I would buy one again in the future, simply because I will be looking purchase something in a different class in a few years.

Now that I have a house and a dog I need to haul things a lot more often, so my needs have changed since I purchased it. If it continues to fit your needs I think it is still a great option for what it offers, it is just easy to out grow quickly.
Old 12-06-15, 02:42 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the CT falls into a specific niche of driving situations, which most people (myself included, since this is my first hybrid) were unaware of this fact when purchasing. We bought a hybrid in order to be fuel efficient, but in order to do so there is a new style of driving that needs to be adapted. I.E., keeping the cargo weight in the car low, accelerating slowly, coasting as much as possible, not driving above ~70MPH, etc. IMO, the car is ideal for a daily commute to work in traffic. The lack of power when going uphill or with a full car and small interior space does not complement the flashy exterior, probably contributes a lot to the 63% satisfaction score. That said, I thoroughly enjoy my CT and I would recommend the car for those who would understand the best way to utilize the car.
Old 12-07-15, 11:57 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hadn't paid any attention to the standard equipment of the CT200h (in Canada) once we got our F-Sport. A few months ago I was given a 2015 base model (which lists at CD$31,250) as a loaner. I must confess that I was quite unimpressed with the level of equipment in the base model, i.e., no moon roof, no backup camera, no auto-dimming rear view mirror. To get those features (as well as others) you have to move up to the Touring package (at CD$34,850).

Perhaps some of the owners who said they wouldn't buy the car again had the base CT200h and were having second thoughts about the value they had received from their purchase of a "luxury" vehicle.
Old 12-07-15, 01:03 PM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I really like my CT a lot. I just wish it felt like a Lexus, because it really does feel (and sound) more like a Toyota. There is nothing to feel passionate about with this car. It’s a appliance that does everything it says it will do, but when you pay that much more for a NICE appliance, you should get more than better looks. It’s a GREAT commuter car that feels like a commuter car instead of a Lexus.

I’ll keep mine for a while because I already paid for it and really do like it a lot (even with the terrible halogen headlights). I’m also pretty sure I wouldn't but another one.
Old 12-07-15, 09:30 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I really like my CT a lot. I just wish it felt like a Lexus, because it really does feel (and sound) more like a Toyota.
Really? We drove Mazda 3's, Hyundai Elantra's, Honda's and Toyotas before settling on the CT.....NONE felt as solid and substantial as the CT. The Mazda came close, but the CT feels better built and the quality of materials, superior.

Last edited by roadfrog; 12-08-15 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-08-15, 06:47 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

You've hit my point exactly! Compared to cars that cost less, this car feels really nice and I like it. Considering that it doesn't even win the mileage comparisons (with other hybrids) that drive a lot of people to this market, the question becomes "does this solid feel justify the much higher price tag for a similar car". And, it I suspect a lot of people will say no because it's not what's important to them.

When tapping into the existing Lexus customer base, the price is easier to justify, but the really nice feel you might expect from a Lexus isn't there. This is due in my humble opinion, to the compromises that have been made to keep the cost (and weight?) down so it can compete in the economy hybrid market.

I think the reason it gets a low satisfaction rating is that it misses both sweet spots. Maybe I'm completely off base. I'll wait to see why others think the satisfaction is so low.

Quick Reply: CT owner's, why the low satisfaction score?