CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

CT owner's, why the low satisfaction score?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 10:04 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my CT. I'm so glad I went with this car. I surprise everyone with it. How it handles is so good. Tail of the Dragon, baby.
Old 12-08-15, 10:13 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

What was the time frame -- first 6 months of ownership?

I'm coming at the CT from a different angle. I bought a Prius five almost 4 years ago. I bought it for my business ... but the family also uses it other times. The Prius looked to be a functional vehicle (hatchback) and with $4 gasoline I wanted something practical. Most of the trips are shorter .. max about 1.5 hours.

Well -- that Prius now has 125k on it. Other then oil changes and filters -- one set of tires at 90k. The car looks and drives as the day we picked it up. I paid about 30k for it plus tax .. 5 year 0%. Figure it will have almost 160k when its 5 years old. I went to purchase another Prius a couple of months ago - - I could get another Prius five 2k cheaper then my 11 .. same 0%

I did not know Lexus made the CT ... making a long story short .. I was able to purchase a modest equipped CT through a lease/ purchase (4 years) for 30k ... so about what I paid for the Prius.

We love it ... I have owned a couple of Lexus ES's over the years .. so I understand the brand. While the CT is smaller than the Prius .. it does all we want and need.

I am really surprised at the resale value of the Prius -- I'm sure the CT will be as good. I wanted a practical small car that would be dead reliable ... Both the CT and Prius make the perfect second car. It's not a bigger Lexus .. but it also does not have the higher cost of ownership.

Last edited by Trexus; 12-08-15 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-09-15, 02:58 PM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nacke
Below average ride comfort and smallish interior volume could be the issues..
Exactly.

The CT 200h is a great car, but a let down for anyone that has driven a Corolla or a Prius.
When you have the mindset that buying a Lexus should = better then you are let down when you find the car is not really any better than a corolla or prius. A Corolla S or Prius is $20K while the CT is $35K. I think people have very high expectations for paying the extra $15K.

Now that does not mean the car is bad, its just people buying them have a higher expectation from a lexus and are let down.

So really the CT 200h should be the same as the Prius, but I think it is lower as people have a higher expectation from Lexus and find it is no different than any other Toyota.

Last edited by Trexus; 12-09-15 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-09-15, 07:49 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by r81984
Exactly.

The CT 200h is a great car, but a let down for anyone that has driven a Corolla or a Prius.
When you have the mindset that buying a Lexus should = better then you are let down when you find the car is not really any better than a corolla or prius. A Corolla S or Prius is $20K while the CT is $35K. I think people have very high expectations for paying the extra $15K.

Now that does not mean the car is bad, its just people buying them have a higher expectation from a lexus and are let down.

So really the CT 200h should be the same as the Prius, but I think it is lower as people have a higher expectation from Lexus and find it is no different than any other Toyota.
For two people and some cargo .. the CT is a better fit for most over a Prius ... with a 10mpg reduction. I paid under 30k for mine a couple of months ago.
Old 12-09-15, 08:55 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

car is not really any better than a corolla or prius
Mechanically, maybe not but in the looks and aesthetics, it's CT all the way. The Prius to me looks fugly. Also, the fit and finish in the CT is a step above IMHO...is that worth 15g? Maybe not, but that's why I bought ours with 20k miles and a couple years old. Auto headlights, auto wipers, a great stereo, sunroof, higher grade materials, (leather), etc.... most if which are not found on the Corolla or Prius.

Last edited by roadfrog; 12-10-15 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-10-15, 06:39 AM
Infected
Rookie

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Mechanically, maybe not but in the looks and aesthetics, it's CT all the way. The Prius to me looks fugly.Also, the fit and finish in the CT is a step above IMHO...is that worth 15g? Maybe not, but that's why I bought ours with 20k miles and a couple years old. Auto headlights, auto wipers, a great stereo, sunroof, higher grade materials, etc. Most if which are not found on the Corolla or Prius.
Exactly!

The CT is night and day difference over the 2 Toyota's mentioned.
Smoother, quieter, just a overall better drive.

But, certainly the people being questioned here knew how much the car was, it's size and what it came with for the money they were handing over....
Did they not even test drive the car?
Old 12-11-15, 08:10 AM
NudleBoy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the only thing that bothers me, and this should have been a Lexus quality thing that wasn't implemented, was the sound deadening. Road noise is excessive for a "Lexus" branded vehicle. Comparing to a Civic or Corolla though, it does fine for me. I just hate road noise...
Old 12-13-15, 03:13 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Duong
I think the only thing that bothers me, and this should have been a Lexus quality thing that wasn't implemented, was the sound deadening. Road noise is excessive for a "Lexus" branded vehicle. Comparing to a Civic or Corolla though, it does fine for me. I just hate road noise...
+1

I'm going to try 195/60R16 tyres in the future, they should be slightly quieter.
Old 12-13-15, 04:13 AM
Infected
Rookie

Originally Posted by Duong
Looks like you own an 11?
Much quieter in the 14+ cars.

This is why I think the percentage is the way it is.
Most people they questioned probably have 11-13 cars.
Had Lexus made the CT200h the way the 14+ cars are in the first place, they'd probably have a higher satisfaction rate.
Old 12-13-15, 07:19 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is +14, what are the actual improvements what comes to NVH-properties?
Old 12-13-15, 08:29 AM
Infected
Rookie

Originally Posted by nacke
Mine is +14, what are the actual improvements what comes to NVH-properties?
There is more sound deadening, along with structure improvements to help with NVH.
You can Google "2014 CT200h NVH improvements" for a list.

I tested drove a '12 after a '15.
Had I not driven the '15 first, I'd probably have just gone with a Prius instead.
But, after driving a '15 and seeing how much of an improvement was made over the '12, it was in line with what I was expecting the CT to be.

The '12 rode much harsher, noisier and felt less confident than the '15.

Last edited by Infected; 12-13-15 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-13-15, 08:33 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

so i purchased a CT two weeks ago and drove it around for some 500 miles and came to the conclusion that i hated it. i traded it in today for another IS.

the CT looks nice, but when the car is full of people and/or cargo it doesn't move. i didn't anticipate it being as slow as it was. the ride was also incredibly harsh -- much harsher than i noticed during the test drive. i really hope the next generation CT is much more refined.

mistake made, lesson learned. oops.
Old 12-13-15, 09:10 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
so i purchased a CT two weeks ago and drove it around for some 500 miles and came to the conclusion that i hated it. i traded it in today for another IS.

the CT looks nice, but when the car is full of people and/or cargo it doesn't move. i didn't anticipate it being as slow as it was. the ride was also incredibly harsh -- much harsher than i noticed during the test drive. i really hope the next generation CT is much more refined.

mistake made, lesson learned. oops.
Gotta do what ya gotta do! On an unrelated note.....I have family in Blanes! We go there every two years......we should meet for a beer and Tapas if you're available!
Old 12-13-15, 09:53 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Gotta do what ya gotta do! On an unrelated note.....I have family in Blanes! We go there every two years......we should meet for a beer and Tapas if you're available!
que guay! ets/parles català?
Old 12-13-15, 11:42 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

No. I'm French descent, my wife is Spanish. Some of her family is in Blanes. They speak Catalan

Quick Reply: CT owner's, why the low satisfaction score?