CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

air filter

Old 10-21-15, 11:32 AM
almario
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter

please help me decide if replacement air filter with oil is good for my ct, and what are the advantage and disadvantage. thank you, i will appreciate your answers.
Old 10-21-15, 03:23 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

U only replace the air filter when it's dirty, u don't need to do it at every oil change. My GS is at 15K miles and my air filter still looks brand new, it can probably go up to 30-40K depending on driving condition. If u live and drive in a dirty area then it will get dirty faster.

Clean air filter gives u better gas mileage and more power.

When u check the engine air filter make sure to turn it over and check the bottom part cause that's the one that gets dirty. And don't forget to check ur cabin air filter too that is inside the glove box.
Old 10-21-15, 04:36 PM
almario
Driver School Candidate

Default thanks

thank you for sharing.
Old 10-22-15, 06:47 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,090 Likes on 930 Posts

Stick to the factory type paper air filter for best engine protection and longer engine life. You will not get any more power in the CT from those oiled gauze filters that need re-oiling and periodic cleaning. They may be a bit noisier, but that is all for this car. They will let in more dirt that shortens oil and engine life.
I once had to consult with a Tribologist (professional oil consultant) for a lemon law case with a blown engine at 26,000 miles as we were defending a Japanese car company (he figured it out from a used oil analysis - likely failed oil pump - no owner neglect)

He said that for the most power and protection use OEM type paper air filters and replace every 10,000 miles.

Last edited by Clutchless; 10-23-15 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-22-15, 03:47 PM
almario
Driver School Candidate

Default yap

good advice,makes a lot of sense
Old 11-07-15, 05:37 AM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Stick to the factory type paper air filter for best engine protection and longer engine life. You will not get any more power in the CT from those oiled gauze filters that need re-oiling and periodic cleaning. They may be a bit noisier, but that is all for this car. They will let in more dirt that shortens oil and engine life.
I once had to consult with a Tribologist (professional oil consultant) for a lemon law case with a blown engine at 26,000 miles as we were defending a Japanese car company (he figured it out from a used oil analysis - likely failed oil pump - no owner neglect)

He said that for the most power and protection use OEM type paper air filters and replace every 10,000 miles.
Hmm, I was considering getting the K&N reusable air filters, which generally has gotten very good reviews. Anyone else have comments good or bad with using this? The only negative I read is it seems if you over oil and it gets on the MAF that it could cause problems but then that might be user error.
Old 11-09-15, 10:20 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

My only issue with the reusable filters is me. I either don't realize when it's time to clean and re oil them and end up waiting too long, or I do it to often and probably over oil. Maybe I should put it on my calendar or something, but I never do.

For the price and convenience, I'll be using paper filters going forward. I had a guy tell me once to just buy cheap filters and replace them more often to keep them from clogging and restricting air flow.
Old 11-20-15, 10:26 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Avoid any filter that's pre-oiled. They clog up the MAF sensor and you need to clean it once in a while. If you're sticking to the stock box, a K&N drop in is a nice one to get. You just air hose it off or dunk it in warm water with some cleaning solution, rinse it off, let it dry overnight then pop it back in.

I've had good experiences with K&N drop in filters on previous cars.

I have an Injen intake that I'm swapping out for my brand spankin new Blitz one. I wonder if anyone would want my black Injen =p
Old 11-21-15, 09:58 AM
Bcnlexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nabbun
Avoid any filter that's pre-oiled. They clog up the MAF sensor and you need to clean it once in a while. If you're sticking to the stock box, a K&N drop in is a nice one to get. You just air hose it off or dunk it in warm water with some cleaning solution, rinse it off, let it dry overnight then pop it back in.

I have an Injen intake that I'm swapping out for my brand spankin new Blitz one. I wonder if anyone would want my black Injen =p
Ummm. K&n are preoiled. I frequent the mx5 forums and consensus there is stick with the stock oem
Old 11-23-15, 10:13 AM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I stick to K&N drop-in's but the worst thing you can do to reusable filters is over oil or over clean them.
Old 11-26-15, 09:59 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bcnlexus
Ummm. K&n are preoiled. I frequent the mx5 forums and consensus there is stick with the stock oem
You appear to be correct. There is a section on their site that says synthetic filters are not oiled. Maybe I read up on that and didn't recall the information correctly. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 11-26-15, 10:05 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

K&N drop in gets my vote for ease of install. I'm 99.99% sure the intake design is identical to the Prius.

Part number K&N 33-2435

Otherwise, u can buy my Injen lol
Old 11-28-15, 09:27 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Stick with quality paper filters (Mann, Wix etc).

Back in the day on the Diesel Truck forums, many an engine was "dusted" due to use of K&N filters. That and failed MAF's. I was one of the victims of the dusting issue. I regularly send out my oil samples to Blackstone Labs and one of them returned back with a high level of silica (sand), I quickly disposed of the K&N and returned to OEM quality paper filters.
Old 12-01-15, 06:06 AM
ANMCT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nabbun

Pics of the blitz ? I just bought HPS intake yesterday ( Cyber deal )
Old 12-02-15, 04:55 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Here it is from another owner

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...ir-filter.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: air filter