CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Considering a CT200h - advice please

Old 10-04-15, 07:40 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Considering a CT200h - advice please

I'm a member frequenting the LS460 forums here at CL. I have a few questions about the CT200h, which I hope I can get help with.

My wife currently drives a BMW X5. As you can imagine, it's ridiculously unreliable (as was my former 7 series). She would like to downsize somewhat and is considering a hatchback. A small Lexus SUV is also on the list of considerations, but we'd rather stick to a smaller hatch.

What can we expect from the CT as far as reliability goes? The idea of a hybrid does not thrill me, but I'm open to feedback. We're also considering other manufacturers hatchbacks or small SUV's, so any feedback is welcome. The key to our purchase is reliabilty. She also wants a factory Nav.

Thanks folks!
Old 10-04-15, 07:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would think reliability is very good.
I don't own one but have had a CT loaner a couple times and it's fun to drive around town.I always felt the 0-60 in 10 seconds would make it boring but around town it's a bit harsh riding but seating is comfortable and it's feels sporty and quick.
Old 10-04-15, 09:11 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

There is no question the Toyota family of hybrids is extremely reliable. (We own a Prius V, which while obviously not a Lexus has been totally reliable)
Old 10-04-15, 04:32 PM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many miles on the X5?
Old 10-04-15, 05:30 PM
navyasw02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded in my unreliable 2008 X3 for a 2014 CT last month. My only regret is that the CT is not an SUV. I dont think I'll have nearly the same level of BS to deal with as I had with my BMW. The hybrid, despite some reviews, is adequately zippy for a mix of city and highway driving and I love getting 45-50 mpg average instead of 16-18 plus the cost of premium fuel. If you want an X5 like SUV I'd recommend checking out the new RX hybrid which looks pretty nice in my opinion.
Old 10-05-15, 05:03 AM
GSCT
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have had a CT for three years and the only problem we have had was a sun roof rattle that was fixed under warranty - other wise it has been "dead stick" reliable. As a city car it has been wonderful: fun to drive, fabulous gas mileage, very practical with the hatch and fold flat rear seats and good looking as well (I've had lots of positive comments). If you are going to be driving in snow, it does need winter tires though.
Old 10-05-15, 10:27 AM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
My wife currently drives a BMW X5. ...
She would like to downsize somewhat and is considering a hatchback. A small Lexus SUV is also on the list of considerations, but we'd rather stick to a smaller hatch.

What can we expect from the CT as far as reliability goes? ...
The key to our purchase is reliabilty. ...
Going from an X5 to a CT will be a huge change (size wise). It is so small that even my wife would like to go a size up on our next purchase, and she specifically requested small to begin with.

As far as reliability is concerned, just look at a Prius. I have about 53k miles on mine (purchased new) and haven't brought it in to the dealer for anything but regular maintenance every 10k miles (although now I'm past the factory warranty period, I'll be doing my own oil changes moving forward).

My main complaint (which seems to be common with other manufacturers) is that the speedometer is on the conservative side, however upsizing the tires to 225/45-17 should fix that (stock is 215).
Old 10-05-15, 10:38 AM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

P.S.

Driving the car to the limit is pretty fun too. It is very predictable and stable (even at top speed ~ 115mph).
Old 10-07-15, 02:12 PM
eskae3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you can try looking at the NX hybrid?

Reliability is top notch! :-)
Old 10-09-15, 07:51 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Reliability would be my LAST concern. I've had my CT for a year, with no issues at all. I've even gotten used to the lack of power, especially at highway speeds, and the handling is better than I expected. I agree that the size may be a surprise to you after the X5, and because it's not an "SUV" it's a lot lower. The outward view isn't as good because it's low. It's a great "around town, commuter" car.I agree with esker, that maybe the NX would be worth investigating just to make sure.
Old 10-12-15, 02:28 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously Lexus is a brand that is known for its reliability.

Now consider this, last year when they took a poll of the most reliable vehicle in the Lexus lineup the 3 were;
1. CT200h
2. ES300h
3. RX450h

If reliability is your main concern and you already are sold on Lexus, the hybrids are a no brainer.

Also, if you're in the market currently, there are big rebates on the CT right now. Over $5000 I believe.

Last edited by DrDDay; 10-12-15 at 02:44 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-12-15, 05:17 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by nacke
How many miles on the X5?
154000 kms (about 100k miles).

Size isn't a concern. We've test driven both the Hyundai Elantra GT hatch and the Mazda 3 hatch and she like both. There are a few used CT's in my area, so we'll check them out. I appreciate all the input!
Old 10-13-15, 01:46 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Coming from a 2013 GS450h, I had it was a loaner for a couple days and I hate it. 134 HP? please.. you're better off getting a ES300h at least that has a respectable 200 hp with decent MPG to boot. Instead of the CT200h you could just get a prius V with all the add ons and it'll pretty much come out at the same or similar price as the CT200h, but it'll be better equipped and you'll be getting a significant boost in MPG.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/car-...ota_prius_2015

It handles decent and "feels" sporty until you try to gas it
Old 10-13-15, 03:02 PM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Handling and NVH properties aren't nearly as good in Prius, it's very different.
Old 10-13-15, 03:15 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nacke
Handling and NVH properties aren't nearly as good in Prius, it's very different.

I don't know if that would justify the huge price difference though. Seeing to it that both already have a long list of pros and cons if you disregard the price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering a CT200h - advice please