CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Considering a CT200h - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 11:06 AM
Tiir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As other's have said Toyota Hybrid reliability is unmatched.

I've had my 2011 CT for little over a year (purchased July 2014) Purchased it with 53k miles, I now have 78k miles on it. I've had to get the timing cover resealed due to it starting to leak, not anything alarming, but wanted to get it done before It was out of powertrain warranty, and the EGR valve was replaced after experiencing abnormal cold starts.

As long as you test drive one knowing it's not a sports car you should be fine. I personally enjoy the car; t's fun to drive, nice cruiser/commuter, and gets great gas mileage. Recently went on vacation up to the great Smokey Mountains along with my GF, and luggage it was a tight fit, but comfortable. Car did fine up the steep hills in the mountains. On the way back down south decided to check out Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap was romping on the car in sport mode the whole way on that road the car handled really well. Granted I'm lowered with wheels, but in it's stock form the car also handles well too. Gas cost for that trip which was around 1500 miles was something like $90-100 which was awesome.
Old 10-15-15, 11:09 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiir
As other's have said Toyota Hybrid reliability is unmatched.

I've had my 2011 CT for little over a year (purchased July 2014) Purchased it with 53k miles, I now have 78k miles on it. I've had to get the timing cover resealed due to it starting to leak, not anything alarming, but wanted to get it done before It was out of powertrain warranty, and the EGR valve was replaced after experiencing abnormal cold starts.

As long as you test drive one knowing it's not a sports car you should be fine. I personally enjoy the car; t's fun to drive, nice cruiser/commuter, and gets great gas mileage. Recently went on vacation up to the great Smokey Mountains along with my GF, and luggage it was a tight fit, but comfortable. Car did fine up the steep hills in the mountains. On the way back down south decided to check out Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap was romping on the car in sport mode the whole way on that road the car handled really well. Granted I'm lowered with wheels, but in it's stock form the car also handles well too. Gas cost for that trip which was around 1500 miles was something like $90-100 which was awesome.
Almost forgot about that! Trunk space is TINY lol
Old 10-15-15, 12:39 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The CT is a great commuter vehicle. I drive 40 miles one way to work 5 days a week and save tons on gas.

As for reliability it is very reliable since it's a Lexus. I have over 101K miles on my 2011 CT.

As for maintenance you'll also save money. I change my oil and oil filter every 5K miles. There is no timing belt so no need to change every 90K miles. It has a timing chain. There is no serpentine belt as well so no need to change one. You can change the spark plugs and brake pads every 100K miles. The average Joe would normally change their brake pads two or three times for every one time changing brake pads on the CT. So overall you'll save money on maintenance.

I suggest test driving the CT and see if your wife likes it. Have fun...

Last edited by Trexus; 10-15-15 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-27-15, 08:45 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Thanks all!

So, today we drove a 2012 with premium pkg (upgraded stereo, sunroof, memory seats etc)....no nav. Here's the listing:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Lexus/CT/...PO&orup=2_15_7

It's the Fire Agate Pearl color. At first, she HATED it. Now it's growing on her and she likes how it has a chameleon effect, depending on which angle you look at it.

Dealer is asking 25k (Canadian). It has 34k kms (about 20k miles).

We're off to have another look at it tomorrow and to see what we'll get on trade for her BMW.

Who knows......maybe this time tomorrow evening, I'll be posting pics. LOL

Last edited by roadfrog; 11-27-15 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-28-15, 08:31 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

IMO, one of the best colors for the car, after Starfire pearl that is...
Old 11-28-15, 09:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
IMO, one of the best colors for the car, after Starfire pearl that is...
LOL. Wanna trade?

Well, it's done......just brought it home.

Looking forward to actively contributing to this forum as I do in the LS forum.

Sure is quiet in this neck o' the woods though!
Old 12-01-15, 10:30 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats! I got a CT loaner over the weekend and it wasn't so bad. You can tell there is a weight difference between the CT and the Prius, but at least it handles better.
Old 12-01-15, 03:52 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

congrats! i just bought a starfire pearl ct yesterday as a commuter vehicle (i have a 3is as well) and like it a lot. it's a cpo 2013 model, before the front bumper turned hideous.
Old 12-01-15, 05:42 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Excellent choice!

Originally Posted by davyjordi
congrats! i just bought a starfire pearl ct yesterday as a commuter vehicle (i have a 3is as well) and like it a lot. it's a cpo 2013 model, before the front bumper turned hideous.
Great choice davyjordi, like you, I much prefer the clean look of the '11-'13 models as opposed to the predator face of the '14+ CT's.
Old 12-01-15, 06:29 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine
Great choice davyjordi, like you, I much prefer the clean look of the '11-'13 models as opposed to the predator face of the '14+ CT's.

i really love the new ls concept, though, even if the grill is clownishly garish.
Old 12-06-15, 10:09 PM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does she like driving the CT compared to the BMW? I went from driving a FULLY LOADED 2004 530i SMG w/45k (still have for now) and it took a few weeks for me to completely fall in love with my Lexus. I had driven one as a loaner car 3 years ago and because I drive 30k+/yr, it made sense.
I try to NOT use the cruise on my CT for optimum fuel efficiency on hilly. It took me a bit to get use to the lack of HP, but I've learned to adapt and I've turned hyper-miling into a game. As it gets colder, I'll miss my heated steering wheel.

My E60 is by far my favorite car, but at 12 years old -its only a matter of time before expensive things start failing me. I'm thoroughly detailing it and getting it ready to sell.
Old 12-09-15, 05:27 AM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

..... hope the car works out for you.

When I added a Prius to our mix of cars almost four years ago I did so as a bit of a test ... gas was hitting $4 in my area and we needed to replace an aging Lexus 2000 ES300 with over 200k ... with other sedans/ suv's available at the house I thought .......... how bad can it be.

Well .... the Prius now has 125k. I bought a CT in September.

It's changed my whole thought process. With weekend places out in the country and another at the beach I found myself taking the Prius and leaving a day early rather than waiting for Friday afternoon so we could go together ... both are about 60 miles away ... about a gallon of gas. If we were both going Friday and had no real plans over the weekend -- why take the Cayenne and burn though $5 gasoline at 13mpg ... all doing 50mph in traffic.

The Prius is the perfect second car. Running errands ... driving 1/2 hour some place ... into the city ... take the Prius ... why worry about where I was going to park the more expensive cars -- what would happen to them. I keep my cars a long time .. so these are things to think about. The space of the Prius is more useful then the Cayenne.

Anyway -- for 90 percent of what you want a car for -- the Prius was perfect. I got a great deal on the CT .. so I went with a basic CT over a Prius Five for about the same $$. I use my cars for my business also -- That's another reason for all the miles on the Prius.

OH -- no maintenance .. no worries. Set of tires at 90k ... oil/filters .. just aim and go. They doing that with a Euro luxury car for 100k

Last edited by yeldogt; 12-14-15 at 05:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-15, 09:03 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CTFSportSE
How does she like driving the CT compared to the BMW? I went from driving a FULLY LOADED 2004 530i SMG w/45k (still have for now) and it took a few weeks for me to completely fall in love with my Lexus. I had driven one as a loaner car 3 years ago and because I drive 30k+/yr, it made sense.
I try to NOT use the cruise on my CT for optimum fuel efficiency on hilly. It took me a bit to get use to the lack of HP, but I've learned to adapt and I've turned hyper-miling into a game. As it gets colder, I'll miss my heated steering wheel.

My E60 is by far my favorite car, but at 12 years old -its only a matter of time before expensive things start failing me. I'm thoroughly detailing it and getting it ready to sell.
Things she LOVES, is:

Far better stereo (she got the Premium Audio). Plus the Bluetooth
Smoother ride (less choppy)
Quieter
Easy to park
Better handling
Tighter turning radius
Easier to manouever
FUEL ECONOMY!

Getting away form the X5 will also return less upkeep. The CT will be dead-reliable.
Old 12-25-15, 07:15 PM
bassamp
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trexus
The CT is a great commuter vehicle. I drive 40 miles one way to work 5 days a week and save tons on gas.

As for reliability it is very reliable since it's a Lexus. I have over 101K miles on my 2011 CT.

As for maintenance you'll also save money. I change my oil and oil filter every 5K miles. There is no timing belt so no need to change every 90K miles. It has a timing chain. There is no serpentine belt as well so no need to change one. You can change the spark plugs and brake pads every 100K miles. The average Joe would normally change their brake pads two or three times for every one time changing brake pads on the CT. So overall you'll save money on maintenance.

I suggest test driving the CT and see if your wife likes it. Have fun...
I picked up my blue F Sport yesterday, trading in my Audi A3. I'm also driving 50 miles to work one way. Just wondering about the need to change oil at 5000 & not at 10,000 miles. It is synthetic, & unless you can see visible deterioration, is it really necessary? I understand you can do services at Toyota.
Old 12-27-15, 09:45 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bassamp
I picked up my blue F Sport yesterday, trading in my Audi A3. I'm also driving 50 miles to work one way. Just wondering about the need to change oil at 5000 & not at 10,000 miles. It is synthetic, & unless you can see visible deterioration, is it really necessary? I understand you can do services at Toyota.
You can change your oil at 10K with advanced full synthetic oil and you can also do the services at a Toyota dealership. Just give them a call and ask if they will do the service on your CT 200h.

Quick Reply: Considering a CT200h - advice please