Temperature Gauge on CTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 06:07 PM
Luquanda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature Gauge on CTF

Hi!

Does anyone know how to check the temperature of the engine? I have a 2015 ct200h f sport and i cant find the temp gauge or i think we dont have one. Do we still have to wait til the car is all warmed up before driving off? Since there is no temp gauge.
Old 06-10-15, 06:12 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

In my opinion, waiting for your car to warm up is not a good idea, as the downsides (pollution, mileage, and possible theft) of letting it sit and idle, outweigh the upside. In Denver, it's called "puffing", and is actually illegal in the winter! My sisters '69 Mach 1 was stolen while warming up, years ago. But I digress. I believe what you want is for the oil temp to come up, which is going to take a bit longer than the coolant coming up to temp. My theory is to simply drive the car gently for the first couple of miles, keeping the RPM as low as you can. My dad said it should stay below about 3000 RPM, but that's a LITTLE hard to do with our CVT sometimes. This circulates the oil and the viscosity lowers as it warms, which will lower the oil pressure to where it's supposed to be for normal operation. In the end, I honestly don't think it matters that much. These engines are pretty much bulletproof, and letting them warming them up will waste more gas than it will extend the life of the engine.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it .... at least until someone can show me a logical reason to change it.
Old 06-10-15, 12:40 PM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

0W-20 oil will start to circulate instantly anyway. I know when engine is warmer than 50 C / 122 F because that seems to be the temperature limit for EV mode. You can buy cheap bluetooth OBD2 -dongle and check your coolant temperatures with that if you're interested, but there's nothing to worry about it.
Old 06-10-15, 05:03 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from the word of lexus, there is 0 need to warm up a modern car, you cause more harm than good, simple as that.

Exhaust Heat Recirculation System
Because of the need to heat the cabin and de-fog the windscreen, hybrid vehicles can suffer a drop in fuel economy during winter months. To counter this, Lexus engineers have incorporated a third generation exhaust heat recirculation system.

The exhaust heat recirculation system helps the engine coolant reach normal operating temperature more rapidly by circulating it around a section of exhaust pipe. This not only improves fuel efficiency by reducing the time needed for the engine to warm up, allowing the Lexus Hybrid Drive system to shut of the engine sooner, but also enables the 495 watt Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) heater to provide warm cabin air more quickly in winter.
Old 06-10-15, 07:05 PM
Luquanda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
In my opinion, waiting for your car to warm up is not a good idea, as the downsides (pollution, mileage, and possible theft) of letting it sit and idle, outweigh the upside. In Denver, it's called "puffing", and is actually illegal in the winter! My sisters '69 Mach 1 was stolen while warming up, years ago. But I digress. I believe what you want is for the oil temp to come up, which is going to take a bit longer than the coolant coming up to temp. My theory is to simply drive the car gently for the first couple of miles, keeping the RPM as low as you can. My dad said it should stay below about 3000 RPM, but that's a LITTLE hard to do with our CVT sometimes. This circulates the oil and the viscosity lowers as it warms, which will lower the oil pressure to where it's supposed to be for normal operation. In the end, I honestly don't think it matters that much. These engines are pretty much bulletproof, and letting them warming them up will waste more gas than it will extend the life of the engine.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it .... at least until someone can show me a logical reason to change it.
Thank you! I just see my friends warm up their cars first and i try to do the same. I thought waiting for my car to idle was a good idea lol but now that i heard insights from other lexus owners i'll follow what y'all do. 😊
Old 06-12-15, 06:16 AM
Mutorcs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh that's actually pretty interesting! Thank you