CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Replacement Tire Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-15, 06:31 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Replacement Tire Recomendations

I'm down to 40% tread left. We do lots of hyway driving at 70 MPH and summer rain so I rarely run tires past 30% tread left. I started doing this after a few hydroplane events. Florida State Trooper cars have tires replaced once they reach 50%.

Any Recomendations on what tires to get? I want Low Rolling Resistance, good wet traction and quiet ride with minimal road noise. The current OEM tires transmit road noise more than I like.

Anyone have tires they recommend?

Last edited by FLYCT; 05-31-15 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-31-15, 07:16 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Tirerack has a model specific review section.
Old 05-31-15, 12:36 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Michelin MXM4 followed by Bridgestone Serenity Plus(drove this with the recent flooding in Austin with no issues).
Old 06-01-15, 08:31 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

im currently riding on "Pilot Sport A/S 3", similar stats when compared to oems, and alot cheaper ($124 vs $163 ea). my butt dyno says they are awesome, and a good value

http://tinyurl.com/p8v9haq

Old 06-02-15, 06:46 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Charger fan,

Thanks for the review of the Pilot Sport A/S 3s.

Those are currently on my short list. I have Pilot Super Sports on my SC430 and really like them

The Continental True Contacts are my #1 choice so far. Tire rack rates them the best and with the $70 rebate a set of 4 is $409 plus $64 shipping. Local mount and lifetime rotation and balance will run about $80.

Http://tinyurl.com/oetl7q5
Attached Thumbnails Replacement Tire Recomendations-image.jpg  
Old 06-03-15, 08:30 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Sounds like a great deal on a good tire. Sometimes a local chain will meet tirerack's pricing. Maybe worth a few phone calls.
Old 06-03-15, 10:55 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I went with the Michelin Premier A/S and so far so good. I've had them for about a year now. They're not as good as the Michelin MXM4. Overall I'm happy with the tires...
Old 06-03-15, 02:24 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tirerack recommended the MXM4 for Car&Driver or R/T Tesla S vs. Model T Race across the states for its low rolling resistance to maximize efficiency

there's a reason why Lexus chose that as the OEM tires for CT, I would stick to it

which tire do you have on the CT now? I love my MXM4
Old 06-04-15, 08:14 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

i was a little nervous going away from LRR tires. so far, my avg mpg hasnt shown much change vs oe tires.

if you guys would like, i can show fuelly logs of the car from 1 mile to 40,000 miles on oe tires, and then do a completely separate fuelly log with the new tires to see the diff. thus far, i havent noticed anything dramatic

i'm sure most of you know this info already ... per edmunds .... LRR tires usually net a 2% increase in mpgs, on avg the savings is about $50-$150 savings per 3-4 year span

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...-movement.html
Old 06-04-15, 01:15 PM
muskaroxs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone had to..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....h&autoModClar=
Old 01-20-16, 04:58 PM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For my corolla I tried both Michelin MX4s and Futura LTE 2000 tires.
I found no perceivable different between the tires. The Futura tires were great and lasted over 65,000 miles when they are rated for 60,000.
Michelin's were almost $300 more for a set of 4. I paid $320 for 4 Futura tires from Pep Boys.
Futura is a generic brand name, but they are made by Cooper.
If you search the cheap tire names you can find out who really manufactures them. If the cheap ones are made by a name brand in the US or Europe then I go for them.

Now for the CT200h, I bought tires last weekend.
Since these are 17inch I could not use the tires I used to use on the corolla.

So I found these tires.
Barum Bravuris 2
Total for 4 tires, with tpms valve stem replacement, and installation was $421.
Barum tires are made by Continental in the Czech Republic.
I did not like that they were only 45K instead of 60K, but 17in tires dont give you many options.
I had them for a week and they drive great. No extra noise than the michelins I had on the car from when I bought it.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...LTINT&pc=12397

Also, I found it odd that lots of tires now dont have mileage ratings or warranties. They want you to buy a warranty from the installer.
Only going for tires with mileage ratings narrows your choices by a lot. The Barums have a 45,000 mile warranty.

Last edited by r81984; 01-20-16 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-21-16, 04:18 PM
GrnKouki
Driver School Candidate

Amazon is having a sale for prime members.
Amazon.com: Michelin Primacy MXM4 Touring Radial Tire - P215/45R17 87V: Automotive Amazon.com: Michelin Primacy MXM4 Touring Radial Tire - P215/45R17 87V: Automotive
hell of a deal
Old 01-21-16, 09:43 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GrnKouki
Amazon is having a sale for prime members. Amazon.com: Michelin Primacy MXM4 Touring Radial Tire - P215/45R17 87V: Automotive hell of a deal
I was just about to post the same thing. Under 400 for a set... That is a deal indeed
Old 01-22-16, 06:35 AM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chargerfan
I was just about to post the same thing. Under 400 for a set... That is a deal indeed
I tried both those Michelins and (Cooper) Futura tires on my corolla and notice no difference with the michelins, except they only last 40K miles while cheaper Cooper discount brand lasted 60K miles. (actually they lasted 65K, 5K more than the rating) After that I cant justify paying extra for Michelins.
I like to stick with the generic brand names that are made by the good tire companies.
Futura = Cooper (USA or could be Taiwan)
Barum = Continental (Czech Republic)
Falken/Ohtsu = Sumitomo, but could be made in Thailand.
Riken = Michelin (Serbia)

I stick to North America (even Mexico), Europe, and Japanese Tires only. If made in Asia, South America, Russia, Africa areas then I wont consider it.
You have to check the tire codes to make sure where they are manufactured as tire companies move their brands around all time. Lots are moving to Asia. So tires you bought a few years ago many now be made at a different plant.
Some listed here: http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm otherwise you just google them.

Also, $400 for the tires, but what do you guys normally pay a shop to do the installation if you bring your own tires?
Old 01-22-16, 06:43 AM
GrnKouki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by r81984
I tried both those Michelins and (Cooper) Futura tires on my corolla and notice no difference with the michelins, except they only last 40K miles while cheaper Cooper discount brand lasted 60K miles. (actually they lasted 65K, 5K more than the rating) After that I cant justify paying extra for Michelins.
I like to stick with the generic brand names that are made by the good tire companies.
Futura = Cooper (USA or could be Taiwan)
Barum = Continental (Czech Republic)
Falken/Ohtsu = Sumitomo, but could be made in Thailand.
Riken = Michelin (Serbia)

I stick to North America (even Mexico), Europe, and Japanese Tires only. If made in Asia, South America, Russia, Africa areas then I wont consider it.
You have to check the tire codes to make sure where they are manufactured as tire companies move their brands around all time. Lots are moving to Asia. So tires you bought a few years ago many now be made at a different plant.
Some listed here: http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm otherwise you just google them.

Also, $400 for the tires, but what do you guys normally pay a shop to do the installation if you bring your own tires?
My friend charges me 20 bucks for mount and balance.

Quick Reply: Replacement Tire Recomendations