What do you guys get on miles per tank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 07:33 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
2014 advance? whats that?
In other countries/markets, the CT has different trim level names, like Advance, Luxury, etc.

Here's the UK version of the CT's spec page, you can see what they call the different trim levels:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/ct...Specifications
Old 06-19-15, 07:23 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, learn something new everyday! It's says the Ct200h S gets 78.5mpg!?!
Old 06-19-15, 07:39 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Slight error there You should note though, that one UK gallon is 1.2 US gallon..
Old 06-22-15, 10:16 AM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tried for a tank

So I tried for the entire tank to see the best mileage I could get.

I ended up with an average of 38.9 mpg.
So driving habits can make the difference of about 8mpg average.
Now, I had to drive like a complete @sshole to get the 38.9 mpg. I would even call it dangerous at times.

The entire time I kept the car from going into the power band. I stayed in eco or on electric.
I maybe went into power about 5 times the entire tank to catch a light or accelerate on an on ramp.
On the interstate, speed limit is 60 mph and everyone drives 80.
I stayed at 60 and coasted down every hill.
I also coasted everywhere I could on normal roads.
I kept in electric as long as I could by driving slow at every stop sign and light.

The entire time all I did was **** off other drivers and caused them to either slam their breaks or swerve around me. There were times where I felt I was being very dangerous.

I still have no idea how people get 40+ mpg as I just cannot see what more I can do to get above 38.9 mpg
What more can I do to get better mileage??
Old 06-22-15, 04:50 PM
antonios32
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know im not answering your question but is the CT200h F Sport smaller than an IS250(2008).
Old 06-23-15, 07:18 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by r81984
So I tried for the entire tank to see the best mileage I could get.

I ended up with an average of 38.9 mpg.
So driving habits can make the difference of about 8mpg average.
Now, I had to drive like a complete @sshole to get the 38.9 mpg. I would even call it dangerous at times.

The entire time I kept the car from going into the power band. I stayed in eco or on electric.
I maybe went into power about 5 times the entire tank to catch a light or accelerate on an on ramp.
On the interstate, speed limit is 60 mph and everyone drives 80.
I stayed at 60 and coasted down every hill.
I also coasted everywhere I could on normal roads.
I kept in electric as long as I could by driving slow at every stop sign and light.

The entire time all I did was **** off other drivers and caused them to either slam their breaks or swerve around me. There were times where I felt I was being very dangerous.

I still have no idea how people get 40+ mpg as I just cannot see what more I can do to get above 38.9 mpg
What more can I do to get better mileage??
Don't try to stay in electric mode as much as possible, because if you use up more battery power than you are regenerating from the brakes, you're forcing the engine to compensate and charge the battery, which is a far more inefficient use of the engine. Let the car determine what to do, and just drive normally. Even above 60 mph you should be getting better mileage.

Feel free to use the power band in the city, it takes forever to accelerate without it as you saw. No need to endanger yourself.

When you were cruising at 60 on the highway, did you see what your mileage was reading on the fuel consumption screen?

Also, are you in a cold area? It's hard to get good numbers in winter conditions/temps. Do you have any flat roads? Maybe if you're going up and down hills all the time, your mileage can't really climb.

If all else fails, you may have a problem with your car.

Just for reference, this is what my fuel consumption page looks like when cruise is set to 60 mph on the highways where I live (mostly flat concrete roads in warm temps and low wind):

Old 06-23-15, 07:30 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

While maximizing my mileage has never been a priority in any of our cars, I do enjoy paying attention to what will improve it as much as I enjoy driving without worrying about mileage at all. I refuse to accelerate slowly, but I no longer have to be first away from a light every time. I use "normal" mode most of the time (almost 100 %), only switching to "Sport" when I do want to be first away from a light I also use cruise control a lot even on surface streets, because It helps me avoid speeding tickets. Warmer weather has seen my mileage increase to about 47 MPG on my current tank per the trip computer, so I'm guessing it's really closer to about 44. That's up 3 to 4 MPG from winter.

My Dad once told me that every time you touch the brakes, you're wasting gas. Minimizing brake usage actually does improve my mileage, and delivers a side benefit of making me a FAR smoother (and better) driver, no matter what car I'm driving. Any race driver will tell you that smoother is faster, but we know it also delivers better mileage.
Old 06-23-15, 02:20 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Woodrow
While maximizing my mileage has never been a priority in any of our cars, I do enjoy paying attention to what will improve it as much as I enjoy driving without worrying about mileage at all. I refuse to accelerate slowly, but I no longer have to be first away from a light every time. I use "normal" mode most of the time (almost 100 %), only switching to "Sport" when I do want to be first away from a light I also use cruise control a lot even on surface streets, because It helps me avoid speeding tickets. Warmer weather has seen my mileage increase to about 47 MPG on my current tank per the trip computer, so I'm guessing it's really closer to about 44. That's up 3 to 4 MPG from winter.

My Dad once told me that every time you touch the brakes, you're wasting gas. Minimizing brake usage actually does improve my mileage, and delivers a side benefit of making me a FAR smoother (and better) driver, no matter what car I'm driving. Any race driver will tell you that smoother is faster, but we know it also delivers better mileage.
I have to agree, but normally I'd say touching the brakes on a car with regen brakes saves gas, and not touching it wastes gas, since coasting is wasting energy. Thankfully, just coasting in a car with regen brakes is the same as lightly feathering the brake (at least for Toyota/Lexus), so you can still coast and get the energy back.
Old 06-24-15, 09:55 AM
RoseLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are my averages using 87 octane. All are short city trips about 5-10 miles each way to work, picking up kids from school, and an occasional 2.5 mile 7% grade with the AC on 90% of the time.

TripA 371.8
TripB 23.5
Fill Up 9.396
MPG 42.071 (eco)

TripA 336
Fill Up 8.962
MPG 37.491 (normal)

TripA 345.8
TripB 7.2
Fill Up 9.105
MPG 38.769 (sport)

I did this just to see what to expect from each mode. That being said I mostly keep it in sport and normal mode just because I hate being pushed from behind!!
Old 06-24-15, 12:31 PM
nacke
Driver

Originally Posted by Raidin
I have to agree, but normally I'd say touching the brakes on a car with regen brakes saves gas, and not touching it wastes gas, since coasting is wasting energy. Thankfully, just coasting in a car with regen brakes is the same as lightly feathering the brake (at least for Toyota/Lexus), so you can still coast and get the energy back.
Braking even with regen always wastes energy, because there are losses in electric motor, inverter and battery. Inertia-battery-inertia round trip has an efficiency of 45-50 % in Toyota hybrid system if I recall correctly.

For best MPG, one should pulse (accelerate on the engine sweet spot) and glide/coast as much as possible, and avoid touching brake pedal if possible.
Old 06-26-15, 06:38 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by nacke
Braking even with regen always wastes energy, because there are losses in electric motor, inverter and battery. Inertia-battery-inertia round trip has an efficiency of 45-50 % in Toyota hybrid system if I recall correctly.
Our cars use gasoline (mostly) to create inertia. Brakes work by converting that inertia into heat which is then simply dissipated. Regardless of any type of regeneration, when you use your brakes, you waste the inertia you created using gasoline. Or, "every time you use your brakes, you waste gas". Regeneration only means that you waste LESS gas when you use them
Old 06-29-15, 08:17 AM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Experimenting

After some experimenting, I found you could technically get over 50+ mpg but only under certain conditions and this is not typical.
Most people will get an average around 35 mpg if they have a mix of driving and less if they have short trips. The lowest you will possibly get is 28 mpg.

City driving = 28 to at most 38mpg (you can only get 38 mph with a lot of coasting, and accelerating slowly/pissing off other drivers)
About 25/30 mph to 45 mph = you get ****ty mileage no matter what you do, unless you get on battery for a little bit. 28 to 32 mpg
45mph to 75ish mph = you get ****ty mileage unless you accelerate to your speed and just press the pedal enough to keep your speed constant. You need flat ground and try to keep the power needle right at "eco" on the gauge. If done right you can get 50 to 55 mpg. But as soon as you get off the highway or accelerate you will quickly lower your mpg unless you are on the highway for a long time.

Now if you are 65 to 85 mph and driving with a lot of hills then you will get about 35 to 38 mpg.

So, if you drive long hours on a very flat highway/interstate with no stops at 45 to 70ish mph then you can get 50+ mpg. If you deviate from that then no way will you get mpg like that.

Also, I want to point out that when you get 50mpg, you are not using the electric/hybrid system at all. In fact when getting that mileage you are charging the battery.
So that means, the hybrid system is a gimmick that helps a little at sub 30 mph speeds, but does almost nothing to get you above 40 mpg and does absolutely nothing to get you above 50 mpg.

So you could take the same gas engine, an equivalent CVT, remove the electric components, and still achieve the same 40+ mpg in the same road conditions.

I will keep doing more real world research on it, but I think I solved this mystery. Anyone that says you can easily get 40+ or even 50+ mpg is crazy.

One should expect 28 to 38 mpg for a mix of normal driving.

Last edited by r81984; 06-29-15 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-29-15, 04:14 PM
Mutorcs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mutorcs
Well no. I live in Switzerland where there are alot of ups and downs with a very mixed driving of traffic/motorway(70miles/hour)/open twisty roads and I get an average of around 40 MPG (american ones). Sometimes more, sometimes less... Maybe you don't interact well enough with your car not letting it charge it's hybrid battery? I have to admit I always keep an eye on the hybrid charging diagram to try to get the best out of it... It's a game really
I really don't understand how it is possible to do 28MPG with this car... honestly.
If you're getting 28MPG you're not driving under normal conditions.
Old 06-30-15, 05:02 AM
nacke
Driver

Originally Posted by r81984
I will keep doing more real world research on it, but I think I solved this mystery. Anyone that says you can easily get 40+ or even 50+ mpg is crazy. [/B]

http://www.fuelly.com/car/lexus/ct200h

Spritmonitor's average is 43,72 US mpg:

http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/uebers...ml?powerunit=2
Old 06-30-15, 07:05 AM
Raidin
Advanced

The advantage I have is that my round trip is 360 miles or so, with 75% of it highway driving on mostly straight, flat roads at 60 mph with cruise control. City driving doesn't impact me because it's such a small part of my entire trip. The more city driving you do, the less fuel economy you will get.

While it's true you can get above 50 mpg in this car, you need a road trip of 60 mph driving to do it, on a warm day where the engine isn't fighting to stay warm. In times where I did mostly city driving, I usually get around 35 to 40 mpg.

If you look at modern gas-only cars of the same size, many of them can do 40-45 on the highway. The hybrid system does play a small role in our cars on the highway to improve this number slightly. If you watch your energy monitor, the battery assists every few seconds. And yes, the engine charges the battery when needed as well, when it is efficient to do so.

While highway driving is slightly aided by the hybrid system, you won't find many cars that can match the city mileage of the Prius / CT family. We get a bigger boost there from the hybrid system, but you won't see 50 mpg in the city unless you hypermile like a champion (and make enemies of everyone else sharing the road).

Quick Reply: What do you guys get on miles per tank?