CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Switching from GS to CT? CT owners tell me why I should or shouldn't consider it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 08:47 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up ES300h

BinaryJay,

Get a nice, pre-owned, low-mileage ES300h for the same money as a new CT200h and you'll be happy. Tons of room, super-refined, and 40 mpg. Problem solved.

StillLine
Old 08-05-14, 12:56 PM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I'm at a dealer now. You guys were right the trunk is a joke in person. I also don't think there would be any way for me to drive it with a car seat behind me. Too bad I think it's quite nice for a small car otherwise.
It's dooable...but it all depends on your demographic. I have a forward facing child seat in mine, however I'm only 5'8.

Rear facing is where you get into trouble.
Old 08-05-14, 03:40 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by edgalang
It's dooable...but it all depends on your demographic. I have a forward facing child seat in mine, however I'm only 5'8.

Rear facing is where you get into trouble.
I have a DIONO front facing behind me (driver seat)

I have GRACO rear facing behind front passenger seat. I often also have front passenger seat.

Additionally i have DUAL side by side CITY MINI stroller in the trunk. It is not a SMALl stroller for those of you that know.

Yes it has less space than a mazdaspeed3 in the hatch.

To me the space of CT is not the issue. Quality of car is.
Old 08-05-14, 05:54 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The dealership made up my mind to keep my GS for the long haul today when they approved pretty much rebuilding the engine under warranty (carbon buildup common to early direct injection GS and IS models, piston ring/valve spring replacement; 3-4 day job, engine out of the car). So much of the car is brand new even though it's an old car... as long as the gremlins are finally solved for good in the engine department I think it would be silly to dump it now.

Just wish me luck that they will put it back together properly and I don't end up having more problems after than before. =)
Old 08-05-14, 06:51 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

The dealership made up my mind to keep my GS for the long haul today when they approved pretty much rebuilding the engine under warranty (carbon buildup common to early direct injection GS and IS models, piston ring/valve spring replacement; 3-4 day job, engine out of the car). So much of the car is brand new even though it's an old car... as long as the gremlins are finally solved for good in the engine department I think it would be silly to dump it now.

Just wish me luck that they will put it back together properly and I don't end up having more problems after than before. =)
Great news !!!!

Even the Lexus gods didn't want you in a shi ty CT and thus made decision for you.

Good luck !
Old 08-07-14, 07:56 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Great news !!!!

Even the Lexus gods didn't want you in a shi ty CT and thus made decision for you.

Good luck !
Thanks. You know when I bought the car I joke that I'll pass it on to my kids fully expecting it to last that long (at the time, I didn't even have any... my son is almost 3 now). Hopefully this major service will restore my confidence in the brand and that can actually be a reality - though I suppose it's more likely it will turn into a rust bucket before another 13 years passes.
Old 08-07-14, 08:59 AM
lcneed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. You know when I bought the car I joke that I'll pass it on to my kids fully expecting it to last that long (at the time, I didn't even have any... my son is almost 3 now). Hopefully this major service will restore my confidence in the brand and that can actually be a reality - though I suppose it's more likely it will turn into a rust bucket before another 13 years passes.
Did you buy extended warranty? I thought your GS is 2006? I didn't think warranty last that long?
Old 08-07-14, 09:54 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by lcneed
Did you buy extended warranty? I thought your GS is 2006? I didn't think warranty last that long?
Yes, 2006... the Customer Service Program for this particular issue covers 9 years and unlimited mileage.
Old 08-07-14, 10:33 AM
lcneed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, 2006... the Customer Service Program for this particular issue covers 9 years and unlimited mileage.
Wow.. unlimited mileage?? I need that! I drive over 30k miles a year... in 9 years I would have close to 300k
Old 08-07-14, 10:37 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Same here, 25-30K miles a year.

CONGRATS AGAIN BINARY JAY!
Old 08-07-14, 10:54 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by lcneed
Wow.. unlimited mileage?? I need that! I drive over 30k miles a year... in 9 years I would have close to 300k
In my case, I put 12K in 5 years (though car has 70K on it as I bought it used). I am not getting the full benefit of this service lol but it's still nice to know that I will have a rebuilt engine. All engine gaskets/seals are replaced during the service along with the valve components and piston rings and the remaining parts of the engine are all removed and decarbonized. If the cylinder bores or valve seats are found out of spec then there is a chance that they will replace the whole short block with a new one.

I also get free oil and coolant change out of it (seeing as how to remove engine from a car all fluids need to go). I am also having them replace the water pump and belt for the cost of the part only while they have everything exploded just as a preventative measure.

This fix that Lexus is providing must certainly not be cheap for them to provide. The service bulletin I found on alldata out of curiosity to see what the heck they would be doing specifies that it is nearly 24 hours of labor which means the technician doing it will be working on the car 9-5 for 3 straight days minimum. That's over $3,000 in labor alone given an average lexus shop rate.

This also kind of illustrates why an EV is so attractive to me... an EV is mechanically so much simpler, these kind of issues will soon be gone when we end our medieval use of dinosaur fuels (directly) to make cars move.

The fact that they approved this job for my car really helped steer my opinion back to the Lexus brand, it was wavering away given some of the design and quality issues that have cropped up during my ownership. I just wish they would have a similar program to refit my bloody dashboard which squeaks and rattles all over the place unless I liberally keep stuffing felts and fabrics in the crevices.

Car goes in next week, wish me luck... Also I won't be surprised if the loaner they give me will just end up being a friggin' slushy Camry again as seems to be the case whenever I get service at a Lexus dealership that also has a Toyota wing.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 08-07-14 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-07-14, 11:32 AM
edgalang
Driver

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
I have a DIONO front facing behind me (driver seat)

I have GRACO rear facing behind front passenger seat. I often also have front passenger seat.

Additionally i have DUAL side by side CITY MINI stroller in the trunk. It is not a SMALl stroller for those of you that know.

Yes it has less space than a mazdaspeed3 in the hatch.

To me the space of CT is not the issue. Quality of car is.

OK...understood. The CT is obviously NOT to your standards (which is very volatile depending on the owner)...however the question remains...what ELSE are you comparing it too? Would you rather be in a Mazda3?

I judge cars based on value, and for the money, the CT provides that.

Besides...you have only 2 years to go anyways right? I wouldn't complain too much since you leased and barely put anything out of pocket.
Old 08-07-14, 11:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

however the question remains...what ELSE are you comparing it too? Would you rather be in a Mazda3?
Honestly, yes I would much rather have a Mazda 3 5 door. My brother in law just got one and its great looking, well built, nice inside and drives much more solidly and more refined than the CT. Plus...you'll save about $10,000 which buys a lot of gas.

Only think you give up in a Mazda 3 over the CT is the badge, the dealer, and the warranty. Not worth $10k.
Old 08-07-14, 12:45 PM
edgalang
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Honestly, yes I would much rather have a Mazda 3 5 door. My brother in law just got one and its great looking, well built, nice inside and drives much more solidly and more refined than the CT. Plus...you'll save about $10,000 which buys a lot of gas.

Only think you give up in a Mazda 3 over the CT is the badge, the dealer, and the warranty. Not worth $10k.
Good info. Mazda offers great value as well. However from where I was coming from, I was VERY close to pulling the trigger on a loaded Prius 5 (not V) and making the decision on that vs the CT was rather easy.
Old 08-07-14, 03:06 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I judge cars based on value, and for the money, the CT provides that.

Besides...you have only 2 years to go anyways right? I wouldn't complain too much since you leased and barely put anything out of pocket.
Good info. Mazda offers great value as well. However from where I was coming from, I was VERY close to pulling the trigger on a loaded Prius 5 (not V) and making the decision on that vs the CT was rather easy.
I agree as well. I'd rather get the CT than the Mazda 3. I have over 74K miles on my CT and very happy with it. I look forward to another 74K miles with my CT...

Quick Reply: Switching from GS to CT? CT owners tell me why I should or shouldn't consider it?