CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Good for cold weather highway driving with no garage parking? Buying used okay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 07:47 AM
Jezo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good for cold weather highway driving with no garage parking? Buying used okay?

So I have been looking at this car closely, the used models are amazingly priced with only around 30,000 miles on them. I have never had a hybrid before so I really don't know what to expect.

I live in the northeast in the NYC metro area so the weather we get swings from season to season. I don't have a garage so the vehicle wont be protected from the winters. Commuting, I do a 30 miles each way to work, almost all highway. Will the cold ruin the car or can hybrids handle winters? I see lots of Prius drivers all over around here so I guess they must, but batteries and cold don't really like each other that much.

Why are the used ones so cheap? $20,000 for 30,000 miles and only a couple years old seems much cheaper than I ever would have expected, and it's not just one car priced that way, everything at all the dealers are just about the same.
Old 04-13-14, 03:56 PM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jezo
I live in the northeast in the NYC metro area so the weather we get swings from season to season. I don't have a garage so the vehicle wont be protected from the winters. Commuting, I do a 30 miles each way to work, almost all highway. Will the cold ruin the car or can hybrids handle winters?
Winter is no problem for the car. My CT experienced temperatures in the -30sC (-22F to -26F) many times this long, cold winter and it never failed to start immediately. BTW, it's parked in a carport and I do use an engine block heater (a mandatory accessory up here). Your highway commute should let the engine warm up quickly, so you shouldn't see much of an increase in fuel consumption when the temperature drops.

There are mixed opinions about the OE tires on the CT. I bought winter tires (Michelin X-ice Xi3) after the first snowfall because the OE all seasons had very little traction on compacted snow and on ice. Others (who may not live in the snow belt) say they are okay with the all seasons
Old 04-18-14, 06:45 PM
Jezo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything I should look at when buying a CPO from a dealer that they may try to get past me?

I have never bought a used car before.
Old 04-23-14, 02:29 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

Get the carfax! Otherwise, they are about the most reliable car built. IF CPO you are covered for longer than you may own the car.