CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Custom homelink mod, need ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-14, 07:01 AM
rtwamski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom homelink mod, need ideas.

I just purchased my CT last Friday, 2012 Neb/black, and I love it. I just wish it have the homelink option. I can get a keychain sized garage gemote and mod easily but I am leary on opening any panels since I still have a warranty. Can anyone chime in on how easy it is to get into the sunroof controls. I think I will repurpose the SOS button since I will never subscribe.
Old 02-20-14, 08:32 AM
rtwamski
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have pictures of the snap location of the sunroof control console, or even best spots to pry? I don't want to break anything.
Old 02-20-14, 12:01 PM
2eXceL
Driver

Did you look into the Aftermarket Homelink options on the market? You can purchase a full module and controls directly from Mito-auto.com and make the install look OEM.
They sell the control module or as a complete new Rear view mirror, I imagine if you go the Rearview mirror route is not ideal since you would lose SOS and such.
Old 02-23-14, 06:45 AM
rtwamski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2eXceL
Did you look into the Aftermarket Homelink options on the market? You can purchase a full module and controls directly from Mito-auto.com and make the install look OEM.
They sell the control module or as a complete new Rear view mirror, I imagine if you go the Rearview mirror route is not ideal since you would lose SOS and such.
I understand that, but just because I have a Lexus doesn't mean I have $600-$700 to drop on an integrated mirror, not to mention the instal has to cost a bit as well. For $35 and some time I can place the PCB from a keychain garage remote in the sunroof with a jumper from the switch to the SOS button since I will not subscribe to the service.
Old 02-23-14, 12:40 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Good Idea

I think using the SOS button for a single garage door opener switch is a good idea. I'm sorry I have no advice on how to access that area and wire it up. Before my CT, I had a Vibe and two separate garage doors to open. I took one remote from each door, opened them up and soldered a wire to each side of the activation switch where if you touched the wires together the circuit was closed and the opener sent its signal. I used a blank switch plate like out CT's have and mounted two normally open push button switches. I attached the wires to the switches, zipped tied the two remotes together under the dash and BOOM, push the top button to open the detached garage door and push the bottom button to open the garage on the house. I was proud of this setup and it worked perfectly for 5 years.

Old 02-23-14, 02:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Some excellent work there StillLine. Looks almost OEM
Old 02-23-14, 04:15 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Some excellent work there StillLine. Looks almost OEM
Thanks Hoovey2411, I'm the king of inexpensive, relatively easy, decent looking mods. Another example are the LED DRL's installed on my SC430. I turn them on/off remotely with a key fob, no wires are visible under the hood or elsewhere, and cost was less than $50 total.

rtwamski, keep us updated with your progress.

StillLine
Old 02-24-14, 06:07 AM
rtwamski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StillLine
I used a blank switch plate like out CT's have and mounted two normally open push button switches.

looks good. I am an electrical engineer, and I am hoping to do the same. I know my fit and finish skills are poor so I am looking for easy pop in pop out solutions. Some CTs have a heated steering wheel or headlight cleaners I looked up the prices for those switches and they are $70+.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...200h-2012.html

I also would love a breakdown of how to open some of these compartments. I don't want to hurt Carmen, she is my new car.
Old 02-24-14, 09:19 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rtwamski
looks good. I am an electrical engineer, and I am hoping to do the same. I know my fit and finish skills are poor so I am looking for easy pop in pop out solutions. Some CTs have a heated steering wheel or headlight cleaners I looked up the prices for those switches and they are $70+.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...200h-2012.html

I also would love a breakdown of how to open some of these compartments. I don't want to hurt Carmen, she is my new car.
there is a ClubLexus discount for Sewell also. you just have to register your login and say you are from CL, and when you add items to the cart they are discounted from the "regular" online price.

for instance, the switch part #8477048020 that shows $70.xx drops to $50.43 with the discount.

i think a homelink mod in the bottom left area where there are blanks would be a great choice and easier install. good luck! and welcome!
Old 02-24-14, 10:08 AM
rtwamski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuslover
There is a ClubLexus discount for Sewell. Good luck! and welcome!
Thanks, that's good to know. I have been wrestling with all the options. I don't want to mess with the headliner, so the instrument relay console would be best.

I can't find blank covers in which I can use to replace the inevitable crack when drilling it out. And again I don't want pry in the wrong places so I am looking for step by step install images of someone taking this apart for any reason, so I have a basis of how to dig in. My fear of breaking something far outweighs my want for integration.