CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Any 2013's with engine knock after cold soak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-14, 05:43 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
who was your advisor at Longo?
Man Wong..
Old 03-12-14, 08:09 PM
canknee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayGoldste
It's visible from the outside on a plaque at the bottom of the driver's side of the windshield. It's also on the driver's doorjamb and should be on your vehicle registration document.
sorry for not being clear. what i meant was looking at my VIN, how do I know if it's before or after the VIN that was posted in OP?
Old 03-13-14, 08:04 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by canknee
sorry for not being clear. what i meant was looking at my VIN, how do I know if it's before or after the VIN that was posted in OP?
As I understand it, if the last 7 digits of your are < 2131694 you have the "old" manifold. The best thing to do is to have your dealer check your VIN to see if you are entitled to the new part.
Old 03-14-14, 04:34 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
I took my CT to drain and replace my transmission fluid (have over 60K miles) and I left my CT overnight so the technicians can check to see if there is a noise after it sits for some time. Low and behold they were able to confirm the noise.

Longo Lexus will be replacing the intake manifold at no charge which is awesome. They gave me a 2014 IS 250 loaner and I should be able to pick up my CT later this evening or tomorrow.

Lexus is doing an awesome job...
So you had the noise and shake issue even without a cold soak?

If that's the case, then it's a defect in all those particular manifold. I guess they probably won't replace unless you experience or complain about it. They probably won't do a recall unless there's safety issue.
Old 03-15-14, 05:45 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

A lexus with a knock?! WHAT????!!! I've never even heard the oldest tired lexus Hooptie with a knock. Seriously there is no excuse for that
Old 02-06-17, 04:28 PM
Ddoobe
Driver School Candidate

Lexus CT200h Hybrid 2011 - same issue as the Toyota Prius

I've been dreaming of my first Lexus since I was 14 years old and I've been a proud ambassador of the brand, trying to influence people decision when they were on market for premium cars. I've worked in corporate business for years and some of my managers are owning Lexus.

I can say I'm exactly the customer targeted for the CT200h and that's why I chose this particular Lexus model. Then happened my first winter with the car:

Dec. 27th 2016, I experienced engine knocking at cold start (cold soak is the vocabulary used by Lexus). The sound last at least 30 seconds, seconds that appeared to last for minutes since the banging sounded like if my engine was exploding. The day after, I had an appointment for Air Bag recall and I mentionned the issue.

Jan. 6th 2016, my dealer, which I won't mention for right now, accepted to change engine mount under Canadian TSB L-TCI-3115 (US T-SB-0204-11). I mentionned to my dealer that following my web research, the intake might need to be replaced - as a permanent solution following blog comments - under Canadian TSB L-TCI-3172 (US L-SB-0004-13), but dealer mentionned it was now obsolete.

Feb. 1st 2017, was a cold morning (-16 Celcius), and I decided to record my engine start-up, I had a feeling it would make the terrible sound. Then it happened! The video recorded is the one posted here.

Feb. 6th 2017, I contacted the closest Toyota dealer to have my EGR valve and injectors; they told me they'd never perform that kind of work on a Prius. So I contacted another closer Lexus dealer, since they gave me a hint about injectors cleaning. They confirmed there's a new TSB L-TCI-3635 from Dec.5t 2016 to clean a valve to cool exhaust gas (I guess it's the EGR valve), reprogram ECU (I think)... 2,5h time and multiple gaskets, waiting for their estimate. They told me it's no covered by the powertrain warranty! I'm not satisfied by this answer, all the components listed are engine components and/or engine software.

I've been pleased with the 2 dealerships I've discussed with in general, but it doesn't seem to share knowledge neither to have high support from Lexus Canada for particular technical issues. I want my issue to get solved and my warranty is about to end. I would appreciate to have support and correct permanently my issue, understanding that the closest dealer is a 2 hours drive.
Old 02-21-17, 08:06 AM
SMGS300
Rookie

My 2013 has done it about 3 times since I purchased it August of last year. It actually did it yesterday. I'm taking it in tomorrow to see what they say about it.
Old 02-22-17, 03:29 PM
SMGS300
Rookie

After taking my car in this morning they determined that it isn't the intake and is the cam gear. They are going to replace my cam gear under warranty.
Old 05-09-17, 04:09 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

this is very unheard of for a toyota product, maybe has one of those valve issues, or factory error, why couldn't they slap a uz motor in 460??????
Old 01-31-18, 08:18 AM
blackct416
Driver School Candidate

As a 2011 Lexus owner, I received a letter from Lexus Canada saying that I am enrolled into warranty enhancement program, where there the car could idle rough or have loud noise at cold start along with an engine light and that I should bring my car in if it experienced the symptoms.

Until recently I experienced the exact symptoms where the car will have a loud noise and threw and engine code, naturally I brought it in along with an airbag recall.

Now the dealership is charging me $160+tax because they said the code that was scanned doesn't match up the code on the letter.

How as a customer we can protect or even benefit ourselves from this so called warranty enhancement program, even if we experience what was said on the program letter we are taking our on chance, either hope that the code matches up or risk paying $160+tax for a diagnostic fee for a simple code scan.
So as the customer, we are taking our on chance because we won't be able to scan the code other than matching the apparent symptoms on the letter itself (loud noise at start up + engine light)

So is this $160+tax a way to deter customers that are entitled to get coverage under this so called Warranty Enhancement program, which oriented from Lexus using an inferior part from the beginning?

Or is it just another way of money grabbing?

Calling Lexus Canada Customer service is of no help and they basically say you are on your own. Is this how your treat your customers, Lexus Canada?
Old 02-01-18, 05:15 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

That's not fair for you. How are you (or anyone) suppose to know what code they are referring to mentioned on that letter?

Just wondering, what code(s) showed up? Let me guess? O2 sensor?

Originally Posted by blackct416
As a 2011 Lexus owner, I received a letter from Lexus Canada saying that I am enrolled into warranty enhancement program, where there the car could idle rough or have loud noise at cold start along with an engine light and that I should bring my car in if it experienced the symptoms.

Until recently I experienced the exact symptoms where the car will have a loud noise and threw and engine code, naturally I brought it in along with an airbag recall.

Now the dealership is charging me $160+tax because they said the code that was scanned doesn't match up the code on the letter.

How as a customer we can protect or even benefit ourselves from this so called warranty enhancement program, even if we experience what was said on the program letter we are taking our on chance, either hope that the code matches up or risk paying $160+tax for a diagnostic fee for a simple code scan.
So as the customer, we are taking our on chance because we won't be able to scan the code other than matching the apparent symptoms on the letter itself (loud noise at start up + engine light)

So is this $160+tax a way to deter customers that are entitled to get coverage under this so called Warranty Enhancement program, which oriented from Lexus using an inferior part from the beginning?

Or is it just another way of money grabbing?

Calling Lexus Canada Customer service is of no help and they basically say you are on your own. Is this how your treat your customers, Lexus Canada?
Old 02-03-18, 06:45 AM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

That seems somewhat deceptive since you brought it in based on the symptoms from the letter. I would suggest anyone that owns a car to get a OBD II reader from Amazon, which could be purchased for under $20. It's simple to use, just hook up to the port under your steering wheel area and can read and erase codes.
Old 02-05-18, 12:20 PM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackct416

It was -24C (-11F) yesterday morning. The block heater had been plugged in all night. For a few seconds after the engine started I experienced a knocking sound (that was supposed to have been prevented by the new intake manifold in 2014), and the check engine light came on. My dealer found that the trouble code was P0456: "Evaporative emission control system leak detected (very small leak)." The "Evaporative Emission System Self Test" showed that the system passed this time. I was charged $99.95 + tax for the diagnostic tests.

The service manager said that no repair was necessary now. However, if/when the leak gets worse the charcoal canister will have to be replaced. Apparently the canister is not covered by the emission system warranty, so the repair cost is CAD$1100.

In case anyone is interested, here's the Vehicle Diagnostic Report: