CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

A Tale of 3 License Plates LEDs - Comparison

Old 01-24-14, 04:50 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A Tale of 3 License Plates LEDs - Comparison

I'm still new to the CT200h forum but back on the 3GS forum, I was always on a quest to find the perfect LED/lights replacement for our car: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-194-led.html

I cannot explain or understand why Lexus chose to skip LED for the CT200h license plate (finally came to their senses and added on the 2014)and for MY2013 or earlier models, we are out of luck. It became my quest to find the one with the closest match to OEM color/brightness (using my GS as comparison) I think I found just the perfect LED.

I usually would post a DIY along with the pictures but since all the instructions are in the manual, anyone wants to swap these can just refer to it.

Here are the 3 I've tested
1) JLC Lighting 5-SMD W5W Wedge

2) Luxury Mods 3SMD Flank

3) Vleds 5K WHITE 4 LED 2 WATT HP FLANK

The LuxuryMods one is very popluar on CL for the CT if you do a search, since it came with a kit if you order online. I was running these for a while and the light output is great, but these were a bit too blue compared to OEM. These would be perfect for someone with 6000k light setup and prefer this look

Close up

Then after a bit of research, I found the Vleds 5000k that are brighter and extremely white. See for yourself

compared with the JLC, which is way dim in comparison, probably because of the 360 degree design that scatters the light everywhere

look at how bright it is compared to the LuxuryMods

now you can see what I mean by it being too blue

this is OEM on my GS, it's ridiculously bright/awesome on a white car

comparison - OEM vs. VLEDS

I ran the JLC one for a month before my wife noticed some flickering, then I went with the LuxuryMods one, it was perfect for 6 months+ until I found the VLEDS. It has a built in heatsink to dissipate the heat and I'm still amazed by the lightput from the 4 tiny LEDS + the color

In conclusion, I think I've found the perfect set for me, I will of course monitor them and see how long they will last. I will probably stop searching for another set unless I figure out how to retrofit the 2014 OEM on our CT
Old 01-27-14, 12:06 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have option 3 for my license plate lights. I need something similar to option 1 for my puddle lights.
Old 01-27-14, 01:53 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

I can do $10 shipped for option 1 if you want it.. haha
Old 01-27-14, 03:01 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

lol right now I have the VLED flank in their right now. I'm too lazy to change it out xD
Old 02-03-14, 02:54 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

the CT200h forum sure is quiet compared to the 3GS, haha but it's okay, I'll continue rambling on...

since I'm parting out the GS, it's time to transfer some bulbs over to the CT. Unfortunately Phillips stopped making these silver vision in this application or I would've done this a long time ago

Front Installed - the tight space in the engine bay made it such a pain to install these

Rear Installed - not so easy too as you have to take out the whole lens to install these

A bit farther away

Overall, these bulbs are the most effective way to get rid of the egg yolk effects, it's 2014 and I really think luxury car makers need to start incorporating LED turn signals for front/rear straight from the factory
Old 02-03-14, 05:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

whlkev, the color on the VLEDS bulb looks great. I can vouch for their longevity. Almost four years ago I installed more than a dozen of their bulbs in my RXh, both interior and exterior. One failed quickly, probably because it was defective. Good thing I had spares. Just recently another bulb started to become temperamental. Overall that's not too bad.

I wanted to mention, Stealth Auto carries superchrome bulbs. I bought the Silver Visions for the front and rear blinkers also around four years ago. Well it turned out the bulb sizes were in fact different. The chart in the owners manual was wrong. Lucky me found out the hard way. Did a little research and found Stealth had the size I needed. Pricewise they were comparable to Philips, maybe a little more. The quality is definitely there. Customer service is great too. I got a phone a day after placing my order because they thought I listed the wrong bulb (they ask for make and model and check the Philips' website). I explained about the incorrect information and how LED headlights weren't even listed as an option on the site. That's my possible explanation for the error. It's not very often you find a company that focused on detail.

Here's a picture of the Stealth bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails A Tale of 3 License Plates LEDs - Comparison-stealth-bulbs.jpg  
Old 02-04-14, 02:47 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

kitlz, I too vow for the quality and the brightness of the VLEDS bulbs, I have more LEDs in the garage than I wish to admit (I'm very picky when it comes to my lights) with the built-in heatsink and some even has dual polarity, it almost justifies the price premium you pay for these. As for the longevity, only time will tell so I'll update if I have any issues with these.

You are correct about the Silvervisions fitment for the front turn signals, it didn't fit on first try and took a bit of wiggle to get it in, but the most important thing is they light up fine, so I'm okay with it. The rear turn signal is a perfect fit, so I was a bit puzzled on the front fitment.

I've considered the stealth auto bulbs, but 10 years ago when I was in the euro scene and someone did a comparison between all the stealth bulbs available (can't find the thread anymore) vs. the silvervisions, and the output was not even a comparison, it's like 50% dimmer compared to the Philips, perhaps they are better now, but I've had more than 10 years history with the silvervisions and these work flawlessly.

here's the comparison of silvervisions vs stock oem bulbs on my GS, I think it appears to be brighter than OEM! Sadly, Philips doesn't make these anymore, so I'll have to find alternatives if these ever burned out, ran them 6 years on my GS and now on the CT, so far so good =)

(left Silvervision/right stock)
Old 02-04-14, 04:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

whlkev, I've been very happy with VLEDS, Silver Vision and Stealth bulbs. I guess I've been lucky, or just not as picky as you, LOL! And I can assure you, no amount of wiggling would've made the Silver Visions fit the front blinker. The manual says the front and rear blinkers are WY21W. It's actually 3457 up front. As far as the light output with Stealth, I like them better than the Silver Visions to the point I briefly considered buying a set for the rear and ditching the Silver Visions. Too bad I can't do a side by side comparison to show you. Hopefully this picture gives you an idea. Pretty bright in daylight.
Attached Thumbnails A Tale of 3 License Plates LEDs - Comparison-stealth.jpg  
Old 02-04-14, 04:28 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

LOL since your car is a RX450h that I know nothing about, I'll take your words for it

if you ever want to get rid of those silvervisions, hit me up, would love to take those from you and save as spare.

stealth bulbs look great, and surely can't beat the lifetime warranty! maybe I'll try them in the future
Old 02-04-14, 05:15 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Sure thing. Maybe when I trade in the RXh. I have a second set laying around, opened but not used. They were for the front blinkers, LOL!

I meant to say thank you before. Seeing threads like this has inspired me to make changes to my RXh. The license plate bulbs are the one item I haven't switched out. Your comparison was informative. And it really doesn't matter we drive different cars. Your CT looks great, so does your GS On that note it's time for me to leave. I've crashed your party long enough
Old 02-05-14, 04:53 PM
rvpps2roks
Driver School Candidate

nice comparison, i currently have the luxury mod ones. looking for something other than the JLC ones for my mirror puddle lights
Old 02-08-14, 01:29 PM
yamaturkey
Rookie

Go Bruins!!!
Old 02-08-14, 04:23 PM
NSXboost
Driver School Candidate

I got my set from SuperBrightLEDs in natural white (4500k). I have had these for a while in my motorcycle and they look great. As far as color goes they are about the same color as the stock LEDs in other Lexus models (maybe a tad bit brighter). They perfectly match the Front headlight LEDs.

Old 02-10-14, 05:14 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rvpps2roks
nice comparison, i currently have the luxury mod ones. looking for something other than the JLC ones for my mirror puddle lights
you didn't buy the kit? the kit would've included that + all the interior one no?

Originally Posted by yamaturkey
Go Bruins!!!
pssst, go TROJANS! haha jk, the CT is wifey's car and she insisted on that plate

Originally Posted by NSXboost
I got my set from SuperBrightLEDs in natural white (4500k). I have had these for a while in my motorcycle and they look great. As far as color goes they are about the same color as the stock LEDs in other Lexus models (maybe a tad bit brighter). They perfectly match the Front headlight LEDs.

that looks great too! if you know LED, you know it's extremely hard and more expensive to find a perfect white.

I think I've jumped the gun too soon, the VLEDS one I got above is actually TOO BRIGHT, I found this out by driving behind the CT one day and it's so bright it's overpowering the RED LED on the side when the headlight is on.

As if there's anything that's "TOO BRIGHT" these days, but I replaced them with another one from VLED, which is a lot better now, same color but just less intensity. I'll post pictures up later
Old 02-10-14, 08:25 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

We have the standard wedge LED for $1.99 each, similar to option 1 in every color. 6000K "pure white" is what you want if you don't want any blue tint.

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/T...p/t10_5led.htm
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Tale of 3 License Plates LEDs - Comparison