CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Headlight modification

Old 12-27-13, 08:10 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight modification

Hello everyone!

So I have a CT with halogen headlights and thought about converting them since I really dont like halogens. Did some research and found out that absolutely no one did a Halogen to LED conversion for CT's. I did more research and found out that someone did it for a prius, so I decided to test my luck and try the conversion. I felt a little confident as I did this with my parent's Honda Accord (I converted them from the stock Halogen Headlights to the HID JDM headlights). I ended up doing more research and found a pair of JDM LED headlights for cheap, and decided to pull the trigger and try it out. Ordered them in Japan and had them delivered to my gf's parents house and picked them up on my recent trip to Japan. Downloaded the wiring diagram for the CT and sat down with a mechanic friend of mines, and figured out how to power the lights...mind you this is still a work in progress. See the pictures of the progress below..

1: Picture of the Headlight as is (the other one is elsewhere, dont worry, got it as a pair) with the wiring diagram behind it.
2: One side completed parts
3: One side completed parts with LED control module bought. (only bought one for now since I had to make sure it coudl be powered on)
4: High beams were easily powered on
5: Figured out how to power the low beams and figured out how to power the DRL's. The turn signals I'm not worried since it'll plug directly from the old harness into the headlights.

My next step now that I figured out which wire's power which, I am currently in the process of making a custom wiring harness so it will be plug and play. The only problem is just that I am trying to do this during holiday season so delivery is iffy :-p. So just hang tight and hold on!
Attached Thumbnails Headlight modification-img_20131214_194758.jpg   Headlight modification-img_20131226_104434.jpg   Headlight modification-img_20131226_105237.jpg   Headlight modification-img_20131227_135627.jpg   Headlight modification-img_20131227_164032.jpg  

Last edited by ekwlee; 01-23-14 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-27-13, 09:09 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

Sorry forgot here is a picture of the original car with halogen FYI
Attached Thumbnails Headlight modification-img_20131219_150721.jpg  
Old 12-28-13, 09:11 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Amazing! I was pondering this myself then other day.

It should be a matter of getting the female pigtail to run the LED. I don't think there would be more wires.

the highbeam should be the same pigtails in either light
LED DRL strip is the same, and should be same pigtail.

But the LED low beams operate with that ballast, so it's a matter of getting the H11 harness, stripping it and applying a new pigtail into the led driver, which powers the bulbs.

It should be this way, but please post findings!
Old 12-28-13, 10:33 AM
ekwlee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Amazing! I was pondering this myself then other day.

It should be a matter of getting the female pigtail to run the LED. I don't think there would be more wires.

the highbeam should be the same pigtails in either light
LED DRL strip is the same, and should be same pigtail.

But the LED low beams operate with that ballast, so it's a matter of getting the H11 harness, stripping it and applying a new pigtail into the led driver, which powers the bulbs.

It should be this way, but please post findings!
Yup! You pretty much said it. The only problems was just finding out which pin powered which pin. We are going to make a new subharness (going to toyota to try to get the parts today). The highbeams are the same, but the only issue is that ti's runned off of a subharness since the high beam is behind that gray cap. The LED controller module is a closed circuit so the only wiring I need to do to power it is in a 6 pin connector in the back. Anyway though it works and I'll post it once I get it done!
Old 12-28-13, 02:44 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Hot diggity! This looks awesome! Good stuff man.
Old 12-28-13, 03:23 PM
TommyT
Lead Lap

Look forward to see finish goods.
Old 12-28-13, 09:25 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

Ok, here's the update for today. What a LOOOONG day of trouble shooting and figuring stuff out. Anyway, just to let people know, taking the bumper off is a pain in the ***. Anyway, I was hoping to make a really nice conversion harness with stock male and female connectors, but I got lazy/cheap. I went to the toyota dealership to try and order the connectors, but I ended finding out two things. Some of the connectors are EXPENSIVE, one connector of which I need two, is 32 dollars alone. The second thing I found out, was that even though I had the part number, there was really no way for me to know if that was a male or female connector unless I looked in this damn book which had HUNDREDS of pages of connectors that are either male or female so I gave up on that. I ended up just going to the electronics store here and buying a bunch of spade connectors with the male parts and then making a ghetto rig up. BUUUTT, it worked just fine The high beams, the low beams, the DRL works, and so do the turn signals. The only thing I am going to try to do tmrw is try to get the corner light to light up. I also have to wait till next week to get the other LED control module so that I can hook up both, but in the mean time, I know the headlights work See pictures below.

1. Picture of my ghetto rig harness (I covered it later with wireloom and I am going to shrink wrap the ends)
2. Picture of the headlights on with everything except the DRL
3. Picture of the headlights on with only the low beams on and the DRL's fixed.
4. Picture of both headlights on (left from your perspective is halogen, right is LED)(without the DRL, had to make an adjustment then it worked, see the #3 picture) and the white block is my license plate

and P.S. sorry for exposing you guys to my naked bumper!! :-p
Attached Thumbnails Headlight modification-img_20131228_142800.jpg   Headlight modification-img_20131228_163807.jpg   Headlight modification-img_20131228_165935.jpg   Headlight modification-img_20131228_163801.jpg  

Last edited by ekwlee; 12-28-13 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 10:43 AM
ekwlee
Pole Position

Small Update: All things work. Got a little particular and did more research and found all the part numbers to make the harness and the corresponding pins. Ordered them and waiting to make the custom harness.
Old 12-31-13, 10:36 AM
HennessySK
Rookie

Is it just me or do the LED lights look like they have a warm yellowish glow?

I though LED lights would look whiter. Is it the picture?
Old 12-31-13, 10:54 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

just the picture. there was a huge contrast when compared to the halogen...and in person.
Old 01-23-14, 12:57 AM
ekwlee
Pole Position

update: christmas break ended, had to go back to work and school so things got busy and the project got side tracked..i completed the plug-and-play harness and will install it soon! pictures of the harness are in this post.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight modification-img_20140122_225416.jpg  
Old 02-07-14, 02:13 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 396 Likes on 241 Posts

Wow you the man! Great work

Keep the updates coming.
Subbed
Old 02-07-14, 03:48 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

oh..lol i installed it..i'll take some pictures of the cutoff..been using it for about a week..never got flashed so whee! in the mean time here's a picture of the headlights on teh car.. anyway if you can get a cheap usdm led headlight u should go for it..
Attached Thumbnails Headlight modification-img_20140131_195532.jpg  
Old 02-07-14, 05:06 PM
truciet
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks real good! now order the LED fogs to match
Old 02-07-14, 08:15 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

@truciet i probably will since the 2014 bumper comes with it

Search this Thread