CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Brake Clunk noise

Old 10-17-13, 11:35 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Brake Clunk noise

My CT has been at the dealer for a week now. It has a clunk noise that sounds like it's coming from front end when braking which occurs, just before the car comes to a full stop.

I can also feel it in the steering wheel at the time of the noise.

I don't think it's from the drive train as it still does it when I put car in neutral before stoping.

Sometimes it's worse than other times.

It almost feels like a brake caliper or pad is shifting.

So far the dealer has done brake bleed, changed brake actuator and they say it still exhibits some noise.

The factory tech is in town and is working with dealer. Now they are looking at ABS system as possibility of noise source.

Has anyone had anything similar?

JR
Old 10-17-13, 09:31 PM
Tennis100
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
My CT has been at the dealer for a week now. It has a clunk noise that sounds like it's coming from front end when braking which occurs, just before the car comes to a full stop.

I can also feel it in the steering wheel at the time of the noise.

I don't think it's from the drive train as it still does it when I put car in neutral before stoping.

Sometimes it's worse than other times.

It almost feels like a brake caliper or pad is shifting.

So far the dealer has done brake bleed, changed brake actuator and they say it still exhibits some noise.

The factory tech is in town and is working with dealer. Now they are looking at ABS system as possibility of noise source.

Has anyone had anything similar?

JR
Very interesting, I have the same problem occasionally. When braking lightly from 40 --> 0mph. Dealer couldn't "hear" it when test driving the vehicle. So for now it remains undiagnosed for me. Keep us updated on what your dealer finds out please!
Old 10-18-13, 01:23 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by Tennis100
Very interesting, I have the same problem occasionally. When braking lightly from 40 --> 0mph. Dealer couldn't "hear" it when test driving the vehicle. So for now it remains undiagnosed for me. Keep us updated on what your dealer finds out please!

I picked up the star today. Noise is gone.

Dealer said cause was the Brake Actuator which is mounted in the engine compartment. They said the aorta cost was $2,500 but covered under warranty.

JR
Old 10-21-13, 06:29 AM
greexembou
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem right now. The Luxembourg Lexus dealer says it's no problem. I'll print this out !
European Lexus service is a disaster unfortunately.....
Old 10-21-13, 04:10 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I picked up the star today. Noise is gone.

Dealer said cause was the Brake Actuator which is mounted in the engine compartment. They said the aorta cost was $2,500 but covered under warranty.

JR
Your first post indicated that they had changed the brake actuator already, so was that new one bad?
Old 10-22-13, 10:33 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by KKM
Your first post indicated that they had changed the brake actuator already, so was that new one bad?
I'm really not sure. When I asked what the resolution was for the clunk noise the advisor said it was the brake actuator.

When I questioned more it seems that the tech heard another noise (not clunk) that he thought might be abnormal. He said he heard it slightly once out of ever 25-30 stops. They said something about the ABS system.

Lexus corporate support needed to approve release of the car with approval and test drive from factory rep. I was told they compared to another CT, same year and model and what they heard was the same.

I can say that from the day I first drove it as new it had an unusual noise initially when you touched the brake. It was sort of like a mechanical relay actuated and then a slight winding down hum. Now it's no longer there that I can hear.

Today when I drove it there was a VERY SLIGHT click or minor clunk when coming to a stop with wheel turned right. To me is sounded like a brake puck shift slightly. It only did thus twice in the 100 or so stops. Prior to bringing in for service it clunked noticeably 99% of the stops. That is gone now.

JR
Old 10-24-13, 12:53 AM
greexembou
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for this precious info.
Old 10-29-13, 07:09 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

my car has the same issue.... couldnt fix it yet...
Old 11-04-13, 05:02 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mileage when it started? Mine is fine but am wondering if its a mileage thing or not.

My Tundra has a slight bump when you stop its the brake pads moving. I added a spring to each side so that pads slide back faster, problem solved. No idea on the CT's brakes haven't had the wheels off yet.
I' also greased the pad slides so they pads move easier. You have to grease them every tire rotation or the weather will clean the grease off even marine grease.
Old 11-04-13, 04:12 PM
Doublade
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this also occur when you go into reverse after a complete stop? Like as if a whole complement of the car slides forward into another complement? I feel like I have the same problem
Old 11-20-13, 04:41 PM
FLYCT

UPDATE. NOISE IS BACK

I have appointment at the dealer for Friday. They said they will need to engage Lexus Corporate so it may take several days and I get another RX loaner.

I hope we don't go lemon law. Florida Lemon law gives dealer three attempts to repair. I used lemon law on a 96 Oldsmobile SUV (Intermittent engine dying) and a 2000 Ford Expedition (intermittent horrible sulphur exhaust odor) in the past.

I really like the way the CT drives. It tracks perfectly at 70 MPH on the hyway and is very comfortable with leather seats.

JR
Old 11-22-13, 06:48 PM
FLYCT

UPDATE:

Dealer called said clunk noise is now totally gone. They said it was front brake pads shifting. Pads removed and cleaned, new shims and pad grease under warranty.

I pick it up in the morning.

JR
Old 11-25-13, 07:26 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

UPDATE:

Dealer called said clunk noise is now totally gone. They said it was front brake pads shifting. Pads removed and cleaned, new shims and pad grease under warranty.

I pick it up in the morning.

JR
I knew it .....glad you got them squared away annoying to say the least. I grease mine every tire rotation now.
Tundra's had this really bad.