Brake Clunk noise - Club Lexus Forums


Brake Clunk noise

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-13, 12:35 PM   #1
FLYCT
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,247
Default Brake Clunk noise

My CT has been at the dealer for a week now. It has a clunk noise that sounds like it's coming from front end when braking which occurs, just before the car comes to a full stop.

I can also feel it in the steering wheel at the time of the noise.

I don't think it's from the drive train as it still does it when I put car in neutral before stoping.

Sometimes it's worse than other times.

It almost feels like a brake caliper or pad is shifting.

So far the dealer has done brake bleed, changed brake actuator and they say it still exhibits some noise.

The factory tech is in town and is working with dealer. Now they are looking at ABS system as possibility of noise source.

Has anyone had anything similar?

JR
FLYCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 10:31 PM   #2
Tennis100
Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: OR
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYCT View Post
My CT has been at the dealer for a week now. It has a clunk noise that sounds like it's coming from front end when braking which occurs, just before the car comes to a full stop.

I can also feel it in the steering wheel at the time of the noise.

I don't think it's from the drive train as it still does it when I put car in neutral before stoping.

Sometimes it's worse than other times.

It almost feels like a brake caliper or pad is shifting.

So far the dealer has done brake bleed, changed brake actuator and they say it still exhibits some noise.

The factory tech is in town and is working with dealer. Now they are looking at ABS system as possibility of noise source.

Has anyone had anything similar?

JR
Very interesting, I have the same problem occasionally. When braking lightly from 40 --> 0mph. Dealer couldn't "hear" it when test driving the vehicle. So for now it remains undiagnosed for me. Keep us updated on what your dealer finds out please!
Tennis100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-13, 02:23 PM   #3
FLYCT
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis100 View Post
Very interesting, I have the same problem occasionally. When braking lightly from 40 --> 0mph. Dealer couldn't "hear" it when test driving the vehicle. So for now it remains undiagnosed for me. Keep us updated on what your dealer finds out please!

I picked up the star today. Noise is gone.

Dealer said cause was the Brake Actuator which is mounted in the engine compartment. They said the aorta cost was $2,500 but covered under warranty.

JR
FLYCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 07:29 AM   #4
greexembou
Driver School Candidate
 
greexembou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 31
Default

I have the same problem right now. The Luxembourg Lexus dealer says it's no problem. I'll print this out !
European Lexus service is a disaster unfortunately.....
greexembou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 05:10 PM   #5
KKM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ca
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYCT View Post
I picked up the star today. Noise is gone.

Dealer said cause was the Brake Actuator which is mounted in the engine compartment. They said the aorta cost was $2,500 but covered under warranty.

JR
Your first post indicated that they had changed the brake actuator already, so was that new one bad?
KKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-13, 11:33 PM   #6
FLYCT
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM View Post
Your first post indicated that they had changed the brake actuator already, so was that new one bad?
I'm really not sure. When I asked what the resolution was for the clunk noise the advisor said it was the brake actuator.

When I questioned more it seems that the tech heard another noise (not clunk) that he thought might be abnormal. He said he heard it slightly once out of ever 25-30 stops. They said something about the ABS system.

Lexus corporate support needed to approve release of the car with approval and test drive from factory rep. I was told they compared to another CT, same year and model and what they heard was the same.

I can say that from the day I first drove it as new it had an unusual noise initially when you touched the brake. It was sort of like a mechanical relay actuated and then a slight winding down hum. Now it's no longer there that I can hear.

Today when I drove it there was a VERY SLIGHT click or minor clunk when coming to a stop with wheel turned right. To me is sounded like a brake puck shift slightly. It only did thus twice in the 100 or so stops. Prior to bringing in for service it clunked noticeably 99% of the stops. That is gone now.

JR
FLYCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-13, 01:53 AM   #7
greexembou
Driver School Candidate
 
greexembou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 31
Default

Thank you for this precious info.
greexembou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-13, 08:09 PM   #8
jennypenny
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 374
Default

my car has the same issue.... couldnt fix it yet...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 06:02 AM   #9
Tom59
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ct
Posts: 434
Default

Mileage when it started? Mine is fine but am wondering if its a mileage thing or not.

My Tundra has a slight bump when you stop its the brake pads moving. I added a spring to each side so that pads slide back faster, problem solved. No idea on the CT's brakes haven't had the wheels off yet.
I' also greased the pad slides so they pads move easier. You have to grease them every tire rotation or the weather will clean the grease off even marine grease.
Tom59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 05:12 PM   #10
Doublade
Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 119
Default

Does this also occur when you go into reverse after a complete stop? Like as if a whole complement of the car slides forward into another complement? I feel like I have the same problem
Doublade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-13, 05:41 PM   #11
FLYCT
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,247
Default

UPDATE. NOISE IS BACK

I have appointment at the dealer for Friday. They said they will need to engage Lexus Corporate so it may take several days and I get another RX loaner.

I hope we don't go lemon law. Florida Lemon law gives dealer three attempts to repair. I used lemon law on a 96 Oldsmobile SUV (Intermittent engine dying) and a 2000 Ford Expedition (intermittent horrible sulphur exhaust odor) in the past.

I really like the way the CT drives. It tracks perfectly at 70 MPH on the hyway and is very comfortable with leather seats.

JR
FLYCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-13, 07:48 PM   #12
FLYCT
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,247
Default

UPDATE:

Dealer called said clunk noise is now totally gone. They said it was front brake pads shifting. Pads removed and cleaned, new shims and pad grease under warranty.

I pick it up in the morning.

JR
FLYCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-13, 08:26 AM   #13
Tom59
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ct
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYCT View Post
UPDATE:

Dealer called said clunk noise is now totally gone. They said it was front brake pads shifting. Pads removed and cleaned, new shims and pad grease under warranty.

I pick it up in the morning.

JR
I knew it .....glad you got them squared away annoying to say the least. I grease mine every tire rotation now.
Tundra's had this really bad.
Tom59 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2000 es300 clunking noise. joegreen ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) 16 08-02-15 09:59 AM
Clunking noise when braking 20012003rx GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) 7 06-01-14 10:57 PM
Minor tranny issue, please help if you can. 1WILLY1 Performance & Maintenance 17 09-06-11 11:28 AM
squeaking noise from right rear tire wvuguy RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) 2 12-22-10 07:25 PM
Help, Brake Pedal Sticks! Billah Suspension and Brakes 4 07-27-07 09:07 PM


Tags
2011, 300, actuator, brake, brakes, clunk, ct200h, drive, gs, lexus, noise, noisey, rear, reverse, rx350, shifting, thump

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved