Dash Speaker Install w/stock connector

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 04:39 PM
hkwonton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Dash Speaker Install w/stock connector

Hello everyone,

I finally got the opportunity to install my dash speakers into my car. I have the premium sound package, but wanted better speakers. I had already replaced the front and rear door speakers with Infinity Reference 9603ix and Infinity Reference 6502ix respectively using a guide from leonar40.

I bought Infinity Reference 3002cfx speakers for the dash. The premium sound package does come with a center speaker, but I think replacing the 2 sides will be more than sufficient. Through research, I was not able to find a speaker harness for the stock connector like the door speakers, so I decided to use the stock connector from the speaker. I did not want to cut off the old speaker connector or use t-taps on the existing wire.

Before I begin, I want to mention that I take no responsibility for whatever you do with this guide. I am not liable for any damage you do to your vehicle.

Tools required:
Socket wrench
Plastic removal tool
Solder
Soldering Iron
Wire cutter
Wire stripper
Speaker wire

I lifted up the speaker grills with a plastic removal tool. Pull the grill upwards in the corner nearest to the center of the vehicle. The speaker is bolted down with two bolts. Remove both bolts to remove speaker, and then detach from existing connection.

I DE-soldered the wire leads coming from the speaker to its terminals.
Dash Speaker Install w/stock connector-2013-10-31-18.28.16.jpg

I then took the speaker and used a hacksaw to saw off the connector from the OEM speaker. You may need to take a pair of wire cutters to cut the plastic side of the connector off.
Dash Speaker Install w/stock connector-2013-10-31-18.28.31.jpg

Once you have the connector detached, you will notice 3 pieces of metal on the back of the connector. These connections originally went to the back of the OEM speaker and also travels to the solder terminals at the top of the connector. You will see one large flat piece and 2 small flat pieces. The two small flat pieces actually need to be soldered together in order to connect the internal pin with the top solder terminal. I used a bit of wire and solder to connect the red section together. When soldering this small piece, be careful not to melt the plastic too much between the two small pins because that holds the pin in place in the connector. If after soldering that together you find the pin inside offset, bend it back to place. I was very worried at this point because I was not sure if the solder would hold and provide adequate contact.
Dash Speaker Install w/stock connector-2013-10-31-18.31.43.jpg

Once that is complete, cut some speaker wire around 2-4 inches long, depending on how comfortable you are with soldering. Separate and strip the two ends of the wires. Solder the wires onto the speaker terminals and to the stock connector you prepared. The larger "+" terminal of the speaker should be soldered to the side of the connector with the side notch. If you forget, match up the red positive lead wire from the dash connection to the "+" terminal. Wrap electrical tape over your makeshift harness to prevent any shorts.
Dash Speaker Install w/stock connector-2013-10-31-18.21.37.jpg

Connect the new speaker to the car using your makeshift harness. Tuck the extra wire inside the side of the opening. Bolt down the speaker and replace the grille. Repeat the whole process with the second speaker.
Dash Speaker Install w/stock connector-2013-10-31-19.03.29.jpg

Turn on the car to test the speakers. Use the sound options to point at the front left and then front right to make sure the audio is functioning properly.

I'd have to say that these speakers provided a big difference in sound quality in the high notes. I strongly suggest replacing the dash speakers when you get a chance. You may not want to go through my process of hacking off the stock connector, but the result is worth it.
Old 11-04-13, 06:08 AM
Billisme
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice write-up. I looked into getting the speaker connector and you would have to buy it in a bulk to get it here. If there were more cars that used that same connector then I could make a case for bringing them in. I ended up just soldering speaker wire to the wire harness and put female spade connectors on the other end.