CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Locksmith Can't Reprogram FOB Smart Key on ECU

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 08:05 AM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smadargola
Don't mean to resurrect an older thread but I can also confirm that used Ebay keys can easily be programmed to your vehicle with the right equipment and the right locksmith. I just had it done earlier today in Florida. The Locksmith came highly recommended by several others in the area. It took him less than 30 min to reset the SKS module, sync both of my keys and laser cut my spare. The guy really knows his stuff. His prices are also very reasonable. He even replaced my SK's battery for free.
A new smart key can be programmed yourself with a bootleg cable and toyota techstream that costs about $35. I programmed my own keys.
A used key can only be programmed by having a legit copy of techstream and getting the seed number and passcode through Toyota.

Either the locksmith pays for techstream, works part time at a toyota dealership, or pays a buddy at the toyota dealership to get the code.
Old 03-08-16, 11:27 PM
Eddiesmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Losing Lexus car keys can be frustrating, but also expensive. If you are looking for a hassle-free car locksmith, you’ve come to Cicero locksmith, the guy is dedicated to providing fast, reliable, and affordable services. All locksmith services are provided 24/7, including holidays. If you are facing a car locksmith emergency, be sure to call them at 7083848484 for your Lexus car key needs! All car key services are provided on the spot.
Old 05-06-18, 12:37 AM
abnertye
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much Eddie for providing the details for getting the locksmith services around but locksmith fort worth near offer all such services at pretty affordable cost. So near me i prefer to call them for such problems.
Old 08-13-18, 09:33 AM
r81984
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertste
Then there is no need to buy it and program it because the same will cost if you buy it from locksmith. Atlanta Locksmith GA will do it for me if i asked them about that, it will help them in future also for key programming.
They can only program new keys which have to be bought from toyota/lexus anyways. Used keys require a legit Techstream subscription. Some locksmiths might have this.
As I said anyone can program their own brand new keys by just buying the bootleg cable/software for about $35. You also get the added benefit of diagnosing your car yourself if an engine light comes on or if you want to change any settings on the car without going to the dealer like turning off the seatbelt chimes.
Old 09-14-18, 10:24 PM
fredricwal
Driver School Candidate

I agree only few locksmith have this techstream subscription so dealing with those locksmith is necessary while looking to program your keys.
Old 11-05-18, 02:20 PM
14ct200h
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So If I buy a Used key fob and have the techstream cable and software, I can program the keys myself?
Old 11-06-18, 08:07 AM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There's some misinformation on this thread that I'd like to clear up. A locksmith with automotive capabilities SHOULD be able to add keys AND reset, think about it this way, what do they do in all keys lost situations? They reset.

It all depends on the key being added to the vehicle. A reset erases all keys to the vehicle and starts over, it requires a 15 minute security timer countdown. If the replacement key is used, then a reset is required, most locksmith programmers have this function, but some locksmiths are scared that if they reset and the keys don't add back in, then your stuck with a car that won't start, so they may shy away from performing this function. It's not necessarily that they can't do it, it's that they're worried about liability or don't know the system well enough to be confident. Also, many locksmiths are not very willing to go through too much trouble if you supply your own keys vs purchasing from them. Their profit is limited, so they limit their risk as well. To properly add a used key to the vehicle, the system needs to be reset, then program the new "used" key to the vehicle first, then add the original key second.

If the replacement key is new, then the "add key" function works and only takes a minute or so. Add key is a quick process and does not delete any keys previously programmed to the vehicle, it's low risk.

Alternatively, used prox keys can be virginized, putting the key into a "new" state and allowing them to be added to a different vehicle using the "add key" function instead of a reset. We offer this virginizing service through mail order if anyone is interested.
Old 04-16-19, 11:08 AM
Chobit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZCarKeys
There's some misinformation on this thread that I'd like to clear up. A locksmith with automotive capabilities SHOULD be able to add keys AND reset, think about it this way, what do they do in all keys lost situations? They reset.

It all depends on the key being added to the vehicle. A reset erases all keys to the vehicle and starts over, it requires a 15 minute security timer countdown. If the replacement key is used, then a reset is required, most locksmith programmers have this function, but some locksmiths are scared that if they reset and the keys don't add back in, then your stuck with a car that won't start, so they may shy away from performing this function. It's not necessarily that they can't do it, it's that they're worried about liability or don't know the system well enough to be confident. Also, many locksmiths are not very willing to go through too much trouble if you supply your own keys vs purchasing from them. Their profit is limited, so they limit their risk as well. To properly add a used key to the vehicle, the system needs to be reset, then program the new "used" key to the vehicle first, then add the original key second.

If the replacement key is new, then the "add key" function works and only takes a minute or so. Add key is a quick process and does not delete any keys previously programmed to the vehicle, it's low risk.

Alternatively, used prox keys can be virginized, putting the key into a "new" state and allowing them to be added to a different vehicle using the "add key" function instead of a reset. We offer this virginizing service through mail order if anyone is interested.
Is there any way for you to virginize my key remotely? I'd gladly pay for the service but I think I'll be paying a lot more on shipping because I'm not in the US.