CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Hitch and bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-12, 02:19 PM
tk1971
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch and bike rack

Installed a Curt hitch, but needed a new shank for the Swagman XC2 bike rack. I needed a shank with a bit of rise to lift the rack higher off the ground. Had to drill some holes to make the replacement shank fit, but everything worked out in the end.

Old 05-06-13, 01:31 PM
MiltonGA
Driver School Candidate

Default How is the Hitch Working Out

Hi - I just bought a 2012 CT200h. I have a hitch and Yakima Double Down 4 on my 2002 RX300 and would like to have a hitch installed on the CT. To my dismay, I read in the owners manual that they specifically say no hitches regardless of use, i.e., bikes, trailers, etc. Will adding one void my warranty? I really want to replace the Yakima with the Swagman, but am concerned about the ramifications of adding a hitch. Have you had any problems with it - fully loaded or otherwise?

Many thanks for your help!
Old 06-07-13, 11:12 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts
Default Hitch

If you have a drive train problem that could conceivably be related to some issues caused by overloading the vehicle by towing, then they may look at the hitch and try to deny coverage. Leaving you to explain it was only for a bike rack and that it could not overweight the car, then you may have to hire a Lemon Law attorney to threaten them into coverage. Remember when the dealer denies coverage, always demand to speak to the zone service representative to see it he will override their decision, then call headquarters for Lexus USA. These hitches bolt on in 10 minutes. You can always remove it before going to the dealer for such a claim, which is highly unlikely.
Old 06-07-13, 12:11 PM
tk1971
Rookie

If I break it, I'm going to pay for it. Why would I assume someone else would foot the bill?

Having said that, I don't expect any problems.

Now, if my CD player dies and they say it's because of the hitch (installed w/o electrical connections), then I'm contacting an attorney.
Old 06-10-13, 12:27 PM
Gordonpapa
Driver School Candidate

Default Source of the rising shank for the Curt hitch?

I also have a Curt 1-1/4 hitch on my CT200h. I would like to increase the ground clearance for my bicycle rack. Where did you source the rising shank that you used?

Thank you
Old 06-20-13, 05:20 PM
tk1971
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gordonpapa
I also have a Curt 1-1/4 hitch on my CT200h. I would like to increase the ground clearance for my bicycle rack. Where did you source the rising shank that you used?

Thank you
Got mine from etrailer.com

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...gman/P316.html

FYI, there is some re-drilling involved. I also ended up using the 2" adapter to fit the shank to the rack.
Old 06-24-13, 08:57 AM
MiltonGA
Driver School Candidate

Default Hitch For Bikes OK Per Lexus Service Manager

Hi All - I spoke directly with the service manager at my dealership. He told me that a hitch used to carry a bike rack and bikes will not damage the CT200h and to go ahead and install. I specifically asked about the drive train and again he said it wouldn't cause any problems. He was very emphatic about not using the hitch for anything other than bikes and only carrying two bikes max. He also told me that one of their technicians drives the CT and is an avid mountain biker who has a hitch and hasn't had any issues at all. He also confirmed that I would not void my warranty by installing the hitch.

When I took my Yakima Double Down 4 and installed it on the 1.25" hitch vs. the 2" hitch on my RX300, there was an excessive amount of wobble. I was able to retrofit the bike rack with the newer shank and locking system that has a built in anti sway mechanism by ordering parts directly from Yakima. They also matched the lock to the current keys I already have. I was considering replacing the rack with the new Yakima Highlight that is about 10lbs lighter, but with the retrofit was able to upgrade the rack for about $60. With the weight of the rack and the bikes I'm well under the 200lb max tongue weight. I will have to pack the car carefully not to exceed the 800lb payload limit with two adults, the bikes and all our vacation stuff.

My only real concern is the lack of visibility out the back with the bikes loaded.

Also, Curt recommends a hitch strap, which I ordered from Amazon. Unfortunately, there isn't a place to attach it on the CT that would provide support but isn't made from plastic. If anyone has any ideas about how to use the strap without damaging the car, please advise.

Thanks!