CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Thinking about moving on...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 04:14 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bsmoov
FLYCT: how did you know your CT depreciated more than your LS?

In my case over 10k depreciation in less than 1 year on a brand new car still under warranty was absolutely absurd...
The good news is that you will probably only loose another $4,000 next year if you keep it.

Look at Edmunds "true cost to own" here for a new CT
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/ct-200h...tyle=200437667

I bought our 2009 LS460 USED about a year ago. It was 3 years old and it had depreciated more than $30k before we bought it. Year 4 we got $5k less than what we paid for it when it was sold to a Lexus dealer. They wanted it because they didnt have any used LS460s in inventory. They put it back on the market as a CPO again.

Any time you buy new the first year is the killer. You have the most real depreciation plus you bought it at retail and sell it back at wholesale.

Look at the true cost to own a 2009 LS460. Notice less depreciation?
http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/ls-460/...tyle=101062594

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 07-19-13 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-18-13, 12:26 AM
bsmoov
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
The good news is that you will probably only loose another $4,000 next year if you keep it.

JR

I already knew that. The 1st year is a killer, but I didn't think it was gonna be a massacre...

MitchISF just text me a picture of his invoice receipt and he got 28k for a my same exact car with more miles...it just seems kinda of strange to me.

I mean sticker price on my car was 36k. I'll take 28k anyday and that's a 8k depreciation in less than a year. BUT when CarMax and Lexus try to hit me with no Vaseline and offer me 22k, that's 14k depreciation in less than a year. That's crazy.

Im going to try again. And maybe show the invoice of the same exact car with more miles got valued at 28k, hopefully they work with me.

I was checking out the 2014 IS's and all of them are automatic transmissions? WTH? is that right, or am I just looking at the website wrong???
Old 07-18-13, 10:27 PM
FLYCT

Mitch's numbers are good but hard to read. He traded his CT on a high dollar 3 year old used car. You don't know what the dealer had invested in the GTR he bought.

I once traded in a 3 month old car (510 wagon) and on the contract i was given $5,000 more than MSRP. Of course the price of the new car (300ZX) was also overstated on the sales contract. It was a way for the dealer to inflate their gross sales figures. I didn't care because all I cared about was how much out the door.

When I negotiate a trade or a no-trade clean deal, I only talk out the door price. That cuts out all the BS that sales tries to pack into the deal when you sit down to sign the paperwork.

You can't compare the price received on a trade to a clean deal selling your car.

Your CT is going for about $25k on the dealer auctions in California. That is what a dealer who is actively looking for one will pay. There are many used CTs out there because dealers used them for loaners. It's a matter of simple supply and demand and unfortunately for sellers there is a lot of supply.

Now if you had a pristine low mileage SC430 you would find supply decreasing and demand still high.

JR
Old 07-20-13, 12:23 PM
FLYCT

I mean sticker price on my car was 36k. I'll take 28k anyday and that's a 8k depreciation in less than a year. BUT when CarMax and Lexus try to hit me with no Vaseline and offer me 22k, that's 14k depreciation in less than a year.
I sold my 2009 LS460 to the dealer a few weeks ago. Not counting sales tax and tag they gave me $5,000 less than what I paid for it last year.

Today they have it listed for $4,000 MORE THAN I PAID last year. So if I bought it from them today and sold it back tomorrow I would "loose" $9,000. Thats the spread between retail and wholesale.

JR
Old 07-23-13, 04:26 PM
bsmoov
Rookie

Car is officially gone!!!

Sold the car outright to Lexus for 24.5K

They are going to mail me my positive equity check in about a week and my 30k loan will be marked as paid in full. Woo hoo!!!

It was a headache selling this car to be honest. Low ball offers left and right. And yes, FLYCT, I went to an Audi dealership and they offered me 26k+, but only if I bought a car off their lot and it didn't seem like they were budging too much on sticker price...(playing number games)

I found a car I was looking for the longest...I've driven BMW's all this time and I'm back in one. It's a very RARE 525it Sport Touring Wagon in a 5 speed manual stick shift. Couldn't be happier. The manual transmission brings back a smile to my face everytime I drive it...

Seems like a LOT of other people are parting ways with their CT's now.
Old 07-24-13, 02:01 PM
tk1971
Rookie

Car is officially gone!!!

Sold the car outright to Lexus for 24.5K

They are going to mail me my positive equity check in about a week and my 30k loan will be marked as paid in full. Woo hoo!!!

It was a headache selling this car to be honest. Low ball offers left and right. And yes, FLYCT, I went to an Audi dealership and they offered me 26k+, but only if I bought a car off their lot and it didn't seem like they were budging too much on sticker price...(playing number games)

I found a car I was looking for the longest...I've driven BMW's all this time and I'm back in one. It's a very RARE 525it Sport Touring Wagon in a 5 speed manual stick shift. Couldn't be happier. The manual transmission brings back a smile to my face everytime I drive it...

Seems like a LOT of other people are parting ways with their CT's now.
Glad you're in something you like. Stick is the best. I also miss it.

I think the split personality of the CT (sporty looks and suspension coupled to a plain vanilla Prius drive train) puts a lot of people off when they're primary objective is to get a sporty car. It's almost like false advertisement when they get in and find it lacking. To add insult to injury, the extra weight of the CT and bigger wheels/tires makes it even slower than the Gen III Prius with the same drive train. Ouch...
Old 07-24-13, 04:54 PM
bsmoov
Rookie

Tk1971:

Yeah, it looks nice and it was like false advertisement...looks sporty and aggressive, but felt slower than my wife's prius C. Strange thing was I asked her if she wanted to keep my CT and ill trade in/sell the prius instead and she said no.

My CT used to struggle, I'm talking about high rpm's/engine overworked like it was redlining when I drove it up to the mountains or hills. I was ashamed.

Maybe if they came out with a more powerful CT with a true*manual transmission then we might have a winner but I doubt that'll ever happen seeing that no 2014 IS' s come with a manual transmission either...

I actually lost a part of my soul driving this car. I had the authentic toms aero kit, bbs deep dish wheels, coilovers, etc. and it still didn't make me happy. More like adding to the existing false advertisement claims and I lost mpgs doing so (avg 40 or less with all those parts) it was really counterproductive while non hybrids were almost getting similar/close mpgs.

I've spoken to the people here and the ct200hforum and they all felt the same way.

Hopefully you guys enjoy yours. It just didn't work for me.
Old 07-25-13, 08:39 AM
GenozWorld
Driver School Candidate

I feel lucky. I too traded in my 12 CT F-sport SE and when I asked chevy (got a Volt) they offered 25K and 26,5K. Brought it back to my dealer and they offered me 28.5, I owed 29K. Wrote the check for the diff and walked away.