CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 08:45 PM
AutoAddict
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head Unit

I’ve been browsing and trying to figure out which Lexus I would like to get for my daily. I do a lot of driving for my job 15 to 20k a year, so the CT really seems like a nice fit for practical reasons however the radio just seems awful. I have found some unknown head units online, but can’t seem to find much information. Has anyone upgraded this at all, or found a universal surround that can fit some known brand head units? Any one know of some that work with all the other stock functions in the car as well? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-22-19, 07:51 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

The short answer is no you won't be changing the stock radio.

The best way is to add an aftermarket amp and front door speakers like i did. and aftermarket sub. =)
Old 02-22-19, 09:15 AM
AutoAddict
Driver School Candidate

Well that is disappointing. The CT would really suit what I want to do, but I wouldn’t be able to put up with that radio for very long. Very unfortunate.
Old 02-22-19, 09:42 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Are you disappointed in the entire audio system, or just the radio portion?

People still listen to radio?
Old 02-22-19, 10:26 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I listen to satellite radio.

OP i believe it's technically possible but the dash design just doesnt support a aftermarket stereo without looking bad. then there's the steering wheel controls you have to figure out. anything is possible with money.

like i said the stock stereo sounds great once you upgrade the other bits. mine is now incredibly loud and clear. very powerful sounding especially with vocals.

i have a 2 channel rockford fosgate amp powering focal integration 2-way door speakers and RF 4" dash speakers.

and an added subwoofer in the back.

sounds great

and i used to do some fairly nice expensive audio installs in my day.
Old 02-23-19, 08:50 PM
AutoAddict
Driver School Candidate

It’s more the ease of use along with the sound that I’m worried about. I spend a lot of timing getting in and out and driving a lot for appointments and want it to be very easy to connect my phone for music, podcasts, phone calls, etc. so I’m worried it would be a constant pain which is the reason I was curious about swapping the head unit with an easier set up than what I saw in the reviews.
Old 02-24-19, 12:19 AM
Frod
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AutoAddict
It’s more the ease of use along with the sound that I’m worried about. I spend a lot of timing getting in and out and driving a lot for appointments and want it to be very easy to connect my phone for music, podcasts, phone calls, etc. so I’m worried it would be a constant pain which is the reason I was curious about swapping the head unit with an easier set up than what I saw in the reviews.
honestly I just got a 2017 last week so take my opinion with a grain of salt (Base not F sport with the nice radio). That said I haven’t had any issues with connecting at all. I don’t mind the stereo at all except for the sound quality is lacking a bit to how I like to listen to music. I looked on YouTube and found a few videos of head unit swaps so I know it can be done. Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-19, 06:29 AM
AutoAddict
Driver School Candidate

The head units I saw on YouTube I didn’t recognize the brands, that’s why I wasn’t sure and wanted to check here. It is good to know the speakers can be swapped out without much issue though.

Trying to decide between a CT, a 3IS and a 4GS. I really like the GS350 F Sport, however the MPG and lowers price for lower miles with the CT make it really hard to pass up. The radio being the biggest thing I’m worried about with the CT. I wouldn’t have to worry about making any changes with the other two.
Old 02-24-19, 07:34 AM
Frod
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There’s some pioneer swaps on YouTube. If you can afford the other two go for those. I chose the CT because of the MPG and price I drive about 30k miles a year so I didn’t want to make my daily something too nice. The CT is the perfect balance.
The following users liked this post:
AutoAddict (02-24-19)
Old 02-24-19, 05:51 PM
AutoAddict
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Frod, that’s exactly what I’m looking to do with it as well.
Old 02-25-19, 08:47 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

My iPhone XS max has no issues connecting for BT audio or phone calls. I get in my CT and it's instantly connected. I just hit "BT/AUX" button on the HU when I want to listen to music.
The following users liked this post:
AutoAddict (02-25-19)
Old 02-25-19, 09:09 PM
AutoAddict
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the help. Maybe it won’t be such a problem after all. Now I just need to find some time to go test drive one and make sure I can fit. Just drove a 3IS today and there is no way I can spend any real driving time in one. They are just too narrow and small inside. Hopefully the CT has a bit more room or The 4GS will be my only option.
Old 02-27-19, 05:17 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Hate to break it to you, but if you've got a problem with the 3IS, the CT won't be much better.
Old 02-27-19, 06:07 PM
AutoAddict
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I actually checked a CT out today and found it would be tight as well.