CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Question about MPG

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-12, 10:08 AM
tonyjin23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about MPG

hey guys, I'm fairly new to this forum and to this car, and i've done some reading around in this area, and have found that most people are actually getting around 40-45 MPG reads on their ODO. I am a fairly careful driver, i dont tend to full throttle the car very often and i drive responsibly, however, i am only reading about 34-38 MPG on average on my ODO. What could be the reason for this? and a solution possibly would be useful! Thank you for your time.

Oh and i drive suburban areas most of the time, i live in SoCal. So not many hills or an insane amount of traffic.
Old 12-26-12, 12:40 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Just give it some time. After 5,000 miles you'll notice the mpg's will go up and stay consistent. Welcome and congrats on getting the CT. It's a great car, enjoy your CT and happy driving...
Old 12-26-12, 07:23 AM
tonyjin23
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much!
Old 12-26-12, 11:24 AM
richardbyo
Driver School Candidate

My 2012 CT gets 36-38 in town and 43 when traveling. Needless to say, that's not quite what I was expecting. The service department says that the problem is that I'm using regular gas, not premium. Well, that's also not quite what I was counting on.
Old 12-26-12, 12:28 PM
LosPollosH
Driver School Candidate

You don't need premium. I only know what the forums say but the consensus is that PRIUS's do not use Premium --period!

Our CT200h is basically a Prius with bigger wheels and worse aerodynamics.
Old 12-27-12, 11:40 AM
hdave
Driver

Originally Posted by richardbyo
My 2012 CT gets 36-38 in town and 43 when traveling. Needless to say, that's not quite what I was expecting. The service department says that the problem is that I'm using regular gas, not premium. Well, that's also not quite what I was counting on.
I would seriously complain to Lexus head office about that.
The car does NOT call for premium, and in fact premium would just be a complete waste of money and quite possibly give you worse mpg.

whoever in the service department told you that is full of crap and doesn't deserve to hold on to a job for making ridiculous comments like that
Old 12-27-12, 01:32 PM
jacksonlui
Rookie

i'm currently getting 37mpg and I'm at 500miles so far. I only had one fillup and used 87. My commute is hilly and my tire pressure is 36psi. I think give it some time. I was getting 32mpg the first week. I'll actually be happy with 38mpg. Once my mpg stabilizes, I'll try using sports mode exclusively to see the effects.
Old 12-27-12, 05:25 PM
tk1971
Rookie

Try turning off your heating/air-conditioning (even your blower) and see if your mpgs improve. Also, defrost uses a/c.
Old 12-29-12, 06:32 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

MPG is very dependent on typical trips and outside air temp. With average city trips of say 8 miles in warm weather we get about 41 MPG displayed on our CT. At hyway speeds of 70 MPH we display 39 MPG. The actual calculated MPG is 2 MPG less than displayed. Here's a complete documentation of our CT efficiency. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/flyct/ct200h as you can see we ranged from 36.7 to a best of 42.7 mpg.

Our CT replaced a 2005 Prius we bought new and drove for 7 years. My wife's commute of 12 miles city driving took her 30 minutes each way and she never exceeded 45 mph. She consistently got mid 40's. when her commute changed to 3 miles each way the MPG dropped to low 30's. by the time she got to work the engine barely warmed up enough to allow the car to go into electric mode.

JR
Old 12-29-12, 10:08 AM
tk1971
Rookie

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/tk1971/ct200h

I'm averaging 49 mpg over 21 fuel-ups. My best 52.7 mpg, but there is a noticeable drop lately (last 2 fuel-ups). Could be the holiday "rush" or the cold causing this. I noticed I've been using my front defrost more (all fogged up, can't see).

I see a hit on mpg in the summer because of A/C, and now in the winter due to Defrost (also A/C).
Old 01-01-13, 11:26 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

^^^ 49, that is legendary ... LOL
Old 01-03-13, 11:48 AM
jacksonlui
Rookie

i'm averaging 35mpg accordingly to hand math. (delta miles divded by gallons) i don't top off, just till pump stops by itself.
The car says 37mpg. There's a consistent 2mpg delta. I also read this happening to many other people. Who is right? why 2mpg? Does anyone know?
Old 01-07-13, 08:37 PM
DigitalEye
Driver School Candidate

I can get between 45-46 regularly in warm weather but I loose 1-2 mpg in the cooler months. I find The CT takes some learning how to drive to get decent mileage. In cooler months it really penalizes short trips as the car takes while to get warmed up and wont let you get into electric "coast" mode until its warm. Hills are another mileage killer, the CT sucks gas like a V12 dragging itself up any significant incline. I find speed is again another mileage killer, 65-70 MAX or you'll soon be in the low 40's hi 30's mpg wise. Essentially, get up to speed-limit speed smoothly but not aggressively and then use the ev coast when possibly and you'll be fine:-)
Old 01-08-13, 10:54 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacksonlui
i'm averaging 35mpg accordingly to hand math. (delta miles divded by gallons) i don't top off, just till pump stops by itself.
The car says 37mpg. There's a consistent 2mpg delta. I also read this happening to many other people. Who is right? why 2mpg? Does anyone know?
that is a good question. i have done the same thing and noticed the same result. i just rely on the car's computer even though in my mind i think it's probably inflated.

weekly fill ups at the same station, sometimes same pump, yield results that aren't as high as the MPG shown on the trip display. i don't top off or do anything weird, just let it stop on its own and calculate.
Old 01-15-13, 02:59 PM
HennessySK
Rookie

Originally Posted by hdave
I would seriously complain to Lexus head office about that.
The car does NOT call for premium, and in fact premium would just be a complete waste of money and quite possibly give you worse mpg.

whoever in the service department told you that is full of crap and doesn't deserve to hold on to a job for making ridiculous comments like that
Boy that escalated quickly... How friggin' perfect are YOU?

Anyways....

On my drive home from picking up the car with 10 miles on the odometer, I remember the average MPG display reading 47.4.

I didn't reset the average MPG for the last 6 months, and it is now at 44.3.

Once I tried to maximize my MPG, and over a full tank of gas I was getting 49-50 mpg.

It's all about smooth throttle application and braking early. I gave it to my parents to drive and they averaged around 40 mpg. Being conscious of the EV light and paying attention to how the vehicle operates is the best way to maximize your MPG and hybrid experience.

Quick Reply: Question about MPG