CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

How is the CT200H perceived by the public, and clients?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-12, 10:22 PM
rondocap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is the CT200H perceived by the public, and clients?

OK, so I do estimates for construction, and customers range from small middle class areas to richer areas.

I have always tried to think of how a customer will perceive me and perhaps the price of the work based on the car that they see me driving.

I used to have a Mercedes S55, and I would get a lot of funny comments, such as "Economy must be good", etc. Even though it was a used car and probably worth less than their new Toyota.

Likewise, I have been using my Prius Plugin lately to do estimates. It's a very understated, and non-showy car that goes mostly unnoticed. I really like that, I rather be neutral and not even give me the reason to think either way.

Now my question: How do people perceive the CT200H? I know Lexus is a "status" brand, but I want it for the drive, comfort, and tech compared to the Prius, and not for status. I rather be low-key.

I don't want them to think it is too expensive of a car, and I rather them assume it's a Mazda or something. So how would you view it? Some people see the badge, and automatically assume it's expensive and my prices may be high. Others may be confident that the work will be better, who knows.
Old 12-12-12, 01:33 PM
Mitch08ISF
Lead Lap

Very good post. I am also wanting the exact same feedback. I am a very hands on VP for a general contracting company and when checking out projects I notice "looks" as well. When I had my Isf on job sites I got lots of comments that were not always positive in my eyes so I understand your fears. More feedback on this would be great.
Old 12-12-12, 02:00 PM
tk1971
Rookie

IMO, I'd stick with the Prius.

When I was a freelance wedding photographer, people were intimidated when I arrived in my Lexus IS300. I got the same kind of comments.
Old 12-12-12, 08:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

First, unless you own an LS600h L or an LX, I wouldn't worry too much. Consumers today are much more savvy and know the luxury brands today are more attainable than say 10 years ago. Luxury car makers had no choice to stay alive to get a chunk of the market. Cars like the A3, 1-series, and CT start as much as a well equipped GTI, WRX, etc. Keep that in mind.

Secondly, Lexus is not a pretentious brand like, for example, Mercedes Benz is. Case in point, some folks out there still feel it's a glorified Toyota. I disagree and we all know Lexus is a brand of luxury, quality, reliability, and refinement in its own right but without the snobby attitude. Having the CT for almost 2 years, I never felt it was showy, but instead a sporty high quality daily commuter that just so happens to be frugal, fun to drive and bulletproof reliable. Some folks thought it was a Mazda 3 by the way so between its smallish size and resemblance, it can blend well. Being a repeat Lexus owner over the years, I bought the CT (and RX) because I like them as models all the while getting the wonderful Lexus attributes. If you like the CT, go for it, you won't regret it - people will think you're a smart buyer who cares about the environment and saving $ on gas.
Old 12-12-12, 08:58 PM
DigitalEye
Driver School Candidate

The CT is perfect in this situation. Its too small and "economical" to be pretentious yet it is a Lexus so it doesn't seem cheap. Perfect compromise. It definitely doesn't say "company fleet car"but you also won't be showing up your clients (like you would in a S55, no matter how old or how cheap you got it for)
Old 12-13-12, 01:38 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the CT is fairly understated. it's sporty looking but in general looks sedate if you have the standard alloy wheels and no tint.

i wouldn't really think anything of it if you were going to do some construction for me, although 9 out of 10 times the contractors that come to my house drive nice F150's or F250's that are more expensive than the CT. the only thing i would wonder is how you get around muddy job sites with your little CT.

and the S55, used or not, i would definitely have the same reaction as your clients just not something you expect to see your contractor driving up in.
Old 12-13-12, 01:48 PM
hdave
Driver

+1 to this.

And when people start asking about my car, I always just downplay it as a better-looking prius.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
First, unless you own an LS600h L or an LX, I wouldn't worry too much. Consumers today are much more savvy and know the luxury brands today are more attainable than say 10 years ago. Luxury car makers had no choice to stay alive to get a chunk of the market. Cars like the A3, 1-series, and CT start as much as a well equipped GTI, WRX, etc. Keep that in mind.

Secondly, Lexus is not a pretentious brand like, for example, Mercedes Benz is. Case in point, some folks out there still feel it's a glorified Toyota. I disagree and we all know Lexus is a brand of luxury, quality, reliability, and refinement in its own right but without the snobby attitude. Having the CT for almost 2 years, I never felt it was showy, but instead a sporty high quality daily commuter that just so happens to be frugal, fun to drive and bulletproof reliable. Some folks thought it was a Mazda 3 by the way so between its smallish size and resemblance, it can blend well. Being a repeat Lexus owner over the years, I bought the CT (and RX) because I like them as models all the while getting the wonderful Lexus attributes. If you like the CT, go for it, you won't regret it - people will think you're a smart buyer who cares about the environment and saving $ on gas.
Old 12-13-12, 07:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Lexuslover: good point about the cost of those pickup trucks. They cost several thousands more than a CT.

Hdave: I do the same thing when I get the "wow you drive a Lexus". I bring them back down to earth by saying it cost me as much as a fully equipped Prius.
Old 12-16-12, 06:12 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus has the HIGHEST resale value in the luxury class. It snobby and its not. If you drive the LFA you might be a snob or the LS. Lexus is extremely well respected especially for used car lots. Dealers love selling them for many reasons easy to sell and VERY reliable.
I don't drive cars for anyone elses perceptions. I don't ask what they think because I couldn't care less. My status in life is not important you learn that as you age. What is important is YOU like the car and it does what you need it to do. My Supra draws ridiculous attention I've had cops pull me over just to see the car.
I even had one ask me for a ride in it......he crapped his pants when it finally straightened out in fourth gear. Not sure what his perception was. My CT floats my boat at this point in life too. I rarely drive the Supra.
I actually drive a Tundra daily. My dogs don't fit in my CT.