CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

My recent mods: Replacement beat-sonic bypass Nav button and Rear USB Charging Ports

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 07:37 PM
AlohaCab
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My recent mods: Replacement beat-sonic bypass Nav button and Rear USB Charging Ports

I will attempt to do a installation write-up with more pictures, but I at least wanted to get the finished mods out in the wild.

Thanks goes out to this thread to giving me a starting point. Although, it wasn't hard to figure it out, once you take the beat-sonic switch apart and utilize a continuity meter.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-...us-ct200h.html

The new switch goes in one of the blanks on the left side of the steering wheel and I chose the Blue LED ring. The switch comes in multiple colors and can also be had in stainless steel and a dot in the middle instead of a ring. I also decided to have the ring lit whenever the car is on versus only lit when the bypass is activated or the button is depressed.

My kids are thanking me for the rear USB charging ports. These aren't any ordinary ports. We are an Android family along with a few ipod touches. Our Galaxy Tab's utilize 2.1amps and are very particular about the charging ports. So I ordered some OEM Samsung car chargers and cables off Amazon and soldered wires to them so they can be hardwired into the 12V car system. Then I added panel mount black (not white!) USB extension cables so that I can flush mount them in the bottom section of the center console. The 2.1a charging ports will now charge everything.

The wires for the LED on the Bypass button and the USB charging ports are tapped into the 12V Charging port in the center console. Everything has quick disconnects and is accessible under the center console.

Oh yeah, I wanted to the clean OEM look so I also used white dry transfer letters and labeled the switch as "Byp" for Bypass. I was thinking of going "NAV" on the top of the switch and "Byp" on the bottom, but it's very difficult to line these letters up when you are scratching them on individually.

What do you guys think?

Got two exciting upcoming mods:
1. Custom armrest for us LH drive cars in the USA
2. Headrest tablet mount for rear passengers

Completed mods:
* Sharkfin antenna
* Nav bypass switch
* Rear USB charging ports

-Peter

Last edited by AlohaCab; 12-21-12 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-31-12, 05:06 AM
fugate04
Driver School Candidate

That is an extremely clean install!!!! I love the work of the USB ports on the back of the center armrest.

What is the lenth of cables needed for the center armrest mod?
Old 10-31-12, 06:20 AM
hdave
Driver

+1 on the rear USB it looks awesome!!!

Do you have instructions for that anywhere? Is it an easy install??
Old 10-31-12, 08:03 AM
ice73625
Driver School Candidate

Wow very nice! I'm excited about this armrest
Old 11-06-12, 03:27 AM
greexembou
Driver School Candidate

Great clean and usefull mod !
Was it easy ?
Can't wait for the armrest !!!
Old 11-07-12, 04:35 PM
AlohaCab
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fugate04
That is an extremely clean install!!!! I love the work of the USB ports on the back of the center armrest.

What is the lenth of cables needed for the center armrest mod?
fugate04 asked about the length of cables needed for the USB ports. The length is actually really short, but the panel mount USB extension port comes with more than enough cable. Especially since it is just being used to extend off the Samsung car chargers. The 12V power cables I ran to the car chargers are probably no longer than 20". I stuffed the whole mess under the cup holders.
Old 11-07-12, 04:38 PM
AlohaCab
Driver School Candidate

greexembou, it was very easy. Not as easy as sticking the sharkfin on the roof, but the hardest part (which is not hard at all) will be removing the console so you can drill it. Just follow the thread on installing the "beat-sonic nav bypass module" and it will walk you through removing everything you need to gain access to the back of the cigarette lighter to tap into the 12V.
Old 11-07-12, 04:43 PM
AlohaCab
Driver School Candidate

Armrest UPDATE:

You guys are going to be blown away when you see the finished product. I'm just waiting on the 22ga upholstery staples so I can finish wrapping the armrest. It is as close to OEM as you are going to get. Probably indistinguishable from the RH armrest sold by Lexus of Japan or Sewell.

If all goes well, I may be convinced to start selling the mod so I can recoup some of the costs that went into getting the tools to do it and R&D time and material. You guys be the judge, once I'm done, whether you would pay for the end result. I know if someone else sold the Mod for at least what the LH was going for, I'd jump all over it.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by AlohaCab; 11-13-12 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-13-12, 09:54 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Impressive handywork!

So you bought those USB ports (mounted to the armrest) and all the cables on Amazon? This is a mod I definitely need to do one of these days. I also plan to add some AUX 12 volt jacks since I can't believe this car only has one lousy 12 volt plug in the center console.
Old 11-13-12, 11:03 PM
AlohaCab
Driver School Candidate

Yep.

Here you go:
Amazon Amazon

Peter
Old 11-15-12, 10:25 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaCab
thanks Peter, I see what you did now after looking at this picture:

Basically you hardwired those cigarette plugs with USB ports to your 12V+ source and plugged the USB cables you got from Amazing since you needed the conversion from 12V to 5V to make to make it compatible. Smart move!

I was going to just buy female 12V+ socket receptacles to plug in but your method saves more space and money (parts).

thanks again, will be adding this to our CT200 and my s2000!
Old 11-16-12, 08:12 AM
AlohaCab
Driver School Candidate

S4Play, I was going to do that method as well, but everything just sticks out too much and then you have to contend with the receptacle socket covers everytime you use it and none of the USB cig plug adapters worked with the Galaxy Tab. Now my sockets are compatible with everything we own (i've tried ipod touches and other android phones).
Old 11-22-12, 03:46 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

thats awesome, i get pretty annoyed when my rear passengers ask me to take my phone off hte usb charger so they can use it ... lol
Old 12-19-12, 04:35 PM
rvpps2roks
Driver School Candidate

anyway to re-up the pictures :/