CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Ct200h "cruising range" accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-12, 02:37 PM
Danny25771
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ct200h "cruising range" accuracy

So I have noticed cruising range is way off. I am aware it is only an estimate, but come on.
This last time, car was nearly a quarter tank, and range was at 0.
Any ideas?

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 10-13-12, 06:36 PM
Rhillard
Driver School Candidate

My first tank said I had 20 miles to go. So I "filled" up. It took 9 gal. You mean I had 3 gallons on reserve.

Anyone ran out of gas and used the battery to get to a station?
Old 10-16-12, 06:06 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Toyota's Prius, as well as the similar Lexus CT200h and Lexus HS 250h sedans, will indeed run on battery power even if they run out of gas, but not for long. How far they can go when the gas is gone depends on how much of charge is in their batteries and how gingerly you drive. With a strong charge prior to the gas tank hitting empty, some owners have reported being able to drive up to 2 miles without gasoline.

However—and this is important—the Prius won't let you drive the main battery down to absolutely no charge. When the battery becomes discharged to a certain point, the car is programmed to fire up the gasoline engine, which normally would recharge the battery as it propels the car. If you're out of gas, though, the Prius will try (and fail) three times to start the engine, and then it will go totally dead. Once this happens, a fault code must be reset in the car's engine computer before it can be started again. So even if you put gas in the tank, the car would need a technician to reset the code before you're on your way.

There's another worry about running your Prius out of both gas and juice: towing it. Since there is no conventional neutral in the transmission, pushing a dead Prius will be more difficult because the electric motor/generator system is also being turned. That leads to a bit of a problem in some hybrids: If they are flat-towed by a tow strap, they could generate electricity that could overheat the motor/generator. Toyota says its Prius, and other hybrids, will not generate electricity unless they've been turned on, which requires a charged 12-volt battery. Remember, the Toyota system has two batteries: a conventional 12-volt battery used only to start the system, and the main NiMH (nickel metal hydride) battery. If that 12-volt battery is dead, the Prius won't start, even if the main battery is fully charged. Fortunately, even though the 12-volt batteries in the Toyota and Lexus hybrids are located in the rear of the cars, there are posts in the engine compartment that allow you to "jump" the battery if it's dead.
Old 10-16-12, 10:18 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny25771
So I have noticed cruising range is way off. I am aware it is only an estimate, but come on.
Any ideas?

the "reserve" level is particularly conservative in Lexus and especially in the CT. i tend to rely more on the miles since my last fill up before refueling. the refuel light comes on early. . but i usually go for 350 mi and then fill up, but even then i rarely get 9 gal.

quarter tank and cruising range of zero doesn't sound right. i am below quarter tank and it says i still have 65 mi to go. keep in mind though that cruising range fluctuates constantly based on your MPG and driving patterns. so one minute it could say 100 miles to go and then you start driving hard and it says 85 a minute later.
Old 10-16-12, 12:09 PM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

I track the efficiency for every tank fill in my car. You are correct, it appears that the triggers the "low fuel warning" light when the range indicator shows approximately 40 kms left in range. I once ran my car an additional 10 kms past the point that the range indicator showed 0 kms of range and I was still only able to add 35L of fuel to fill my 45L tank. It seems that the reserve is approximately 10L once the range indicator hits 0 kms (approx a quarter tank). I believe this is a failsafe so that it is pretty much idiot proof with respect to running the car out of fuel and battery power.
Old 10-21-12, 01:10 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

I have driven CT many times. What I notised that if you don'tfill up a full tank the cruise range will be way off. I can have it nearly full tanked and the cruise range says 0km. Very strange behaviour.
Old 10-22-12, 01:42 PM
Danny25771
Driver School Candidate

Default Here is a pic of what i mean.

Almost 1/4 tank.
cruising range 0?????
Attached Thumbnails Ct200h "cruising range" accuracy-2012-10-05_08.10.13.jpg  
Old 10-25-12, 08:11 AM
unklexus
Rookie

I think I'd at least ask the dealer about it, that display is so far off it's not worthwhile to use at all. Maybe there's a tweak somewhere in the computer system.
Old 10-25-12, 09:04 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Any ideas?

Originally Posted by unklexus
I think I'd at least ask the dealer about it, that display is so far off it's not worthwhile to use at all. Maybe there's a tweak somewhere in the computer system.
That is odd that you're a little below a quarter tank and the cruising range is at 0. I agree with unklexus that maybe you should ask the dealer to check it out. Also it's a good idea to fill up the tank once you reach a quarter since the gas keeps the fuel pump cool and to prevent from overheating.
Old 11-03-12, 10:33 AM
midcow3
Instructor

Received 462 Likes on 290 Posts
Post 3 gaalon reswerve when cruise range = zero

Any ideas?

\\
Crusing range, gas gauge are all accurate. However, they are based on the gas tank size less a 3 gallon reserve.The gas tank is 11.9 gallons les 3 gallons = 8.9 gallons. When your cruising range says zero you still can go approximately 120 miles.
Old 11-22-12, 03:55 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

so the "crusing range" is THAT inaccurate? 0 mile range displayed = 120 miles to go?
Old 12-04-12, 03:45 PM
bwsevier
Driver School Candidate

Default Reserve allowance of 3 gallons seems excessive

My Audi A3 got 24mpg, day in and day out - reserve there was about 1.5 gallons, which was (usually) adequate. The 3 gallon reserve (I thought something was wrong - guess not) is a bit much, since I'm getting 39mpg in continuous sport mode - mixed driving. Which works out at about 120 miles. It's become mainly a "nuisance" light, since I tend to go by miles driven. idiocy.

Ben
Old 12-10-12, 05:16 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The 3 gallon reserve is protect your cars electrical system and smog control systems. I also believe you can suck up crap off the tanks bottom and clog injectors and do damage to the pump itself by over heating it.
Rule of thumb has always been 1/4 tank refills in my family and never top off a tank. This extends the life of the pump especially in summer months and keeps down condensation in the tank.
People always blame the gas stations for water in the gas its more than likely caused by running the tank down and never filling it consistently.
Boats have fuel water seperators for this very reason. I used to drain mine once a month its was always filled with fuel on return to the dock too. Still got water not anywhere near as much as if I didn't refill the tank though.
Not sure how much applies to this car but you can bet Toyota did this as a precaution for some very good reasons.
Old 12-10-12, 09:56 AM
SC300Star
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tom59
...you can suck up crap off the tanks bottom and clog injectors and do damage to the pump itself by over heating it...
This statement makes no sense. If the water/dirt falls to the bottom of the tank and the fuel pickup/filter is near the bottom of the tank then why does it matter how much fuel is in the tank? And how can a near-empty tank over heat the pump?
Old 12-10-12, 02:27 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

Lexus is just trying to prevent us from ever running out of gas and facing a situation where it has to be towed and taken to the dealer to reset the computer.

Quick Reply: Ct200h "cruising range" accuracy