CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Do you feel your CT is grossly underpowered?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 09:05 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do you feel your CT is grossly underpowered?

I have an RX and every visit to the dealer for a fix, I request for a CT loaner. I've driven three different CTs the past year and I felt the car needed more HP. The reason I am asking is I followed the CT's emergence as far as two years before it came out and up to this day, I really love the looks, but having used to V6 and V8 powered vehicles, I get dissapointed each time I drive it.

Now, if they happen to put the HS engine to the CT, reagrdless of the gas mileage, I WILL definitely trade my rattling RX!
Old 06-05-12, 10:36 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I do agree the CT is underpowered however the CT is geared towards higher mpg's. Lexus should bring out two variants such as a CT 200h and a CT 300h similar how Lexus has an IS 250 and an IS 350 separated by 100 hp.

I also agree the CT looks great. It's got proportionate shapes and forms, love the LED lights and the aggresive front end.
Old 06-06-12, 06:09 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

They will eventually imo , if they can squeeze it in , use the Camry's hybrid system or the ES350 hybrid (same deal) This would allow for 200hp probably just as good mileage and make it more fun. Not sure on the weight issue or size though. CT is a smaller chassis.

I actually knew my car wasn't a scorcher ......and also know it gets 45mpg....it has plenty of power once you get used to them. I want power I drive my Supra....
Old 06-06-12, 06:20 AM
hdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definitely grossly underpowered compared to most other cars out there.
but you get use to it, and don't care when you get amazing mileage
Old 06-06-12, 06:48 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't feel underpowered at all.....I knew what I was buying on the front end (giving up a GS400 for my CT). I do feel like the fun factor increases significantly with the F Sport setup. I had a loaner which was just a CT premium and there was a definite difference.

The looks, handling, gas mileage, and additional storage space over my GS are adequate compensation for horsepower that I didn't get to use often enough to justify continued additional costs.
Old 06-06-12, 11:07 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
I do agree the CT is underpowered however the CT is geared towards higher mpg's. Lexus should bring out two variants such as a CT 200h and a CT 300h similar how Lexus has an IS 250 and an IS 350 separated by 100 hp.

I also agree the CT looks great. It's got proportionate shapes and forms, love the LED lights and the aggresive front end.
I agree with you for the most part (except the underpowered part, it all depends on what you are comparing it to). The CT was designed for high MPG's as you said, which in turn requires a gas engine with a smaller displacement. Making the CT a hybrid with a 2.5 liter enginer and we won't get this great mileage and I wouldn't own one. It is what it is and yes, it REALLY sucks at times when I punch it to accelerate and it just doesn't move like I want it to!

I agree, having 2 variants would be a GREAT idea!

I had a dealership loaner yesterday and I was in a 2012 RX450h. Holy smokes, that thing pulls! I had to google how many HP it had, 295 HP! Very quick off the line, defininitely didn't feel like a hybrid (but also never saw over 25 MPG either)...
Old 06-06-12, 04:00 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you get used to it really quickly. when i test drove it, i drove to the dealership in the cayenne and was REALLY disappointed w/ the power and how loud it was when you really accelerate.

we took the plunge anyway and now i honestly think it's perfectly fine and kinda fun, like go-cart fun.

if you are switching between two cars or comparing it constantly, yes, it will always feel very underwhelming. but you can't beat the MPG.

when i drive it like i should, i get 40-41 mpg with about 80% highway. but a lot of times i just drive it hard AND in a hurry and i only get about 38. so to be able to use all the HP and push the car all the time, that's not bad ... sometimes it seemed wasteful having such powerful cars and never pushing them. with the CT, that's not a problem the brake pedal has seen the floor MANY times.
Old 06-06-12, 05:07 PM
DBV1
Driver School Candidate

I agree - it does feel underpowered, but I did not expect anything else considering it is a hybrid. I feel the Lexus RX450h feels underpowered too though (even though it has a larger engine), probably because I drive that like a hybrid too.
Old 06-06-12, 05:42 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had one as a loaner for over 2 weeks now. I'm getting use to the lack of power too

I can definitely see the CT200h in my garage someday. I've hit 50mpg + tank average twice now. The other tanks were between 42 and 46 average. It's really not that bad, especially passing on the highway, with a heavy foot and putting it in sport mode. I can pass up cars pretty OK thanks to the help from the electric motor. It's definitely not a performance car though, and it makes even my 250 feel fast. I would love to see them put the IS350/GS350 motor in this car as sell a performance oriented version of it! I love the body style! It really does look more aggressive than it is, wish there was a model that had the power to back up the look
Old 06-06-12, 09:44 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Default I miss my HS

Thanks for the feedback! I settled with an HS after years of waiting for the CT but after having it for just a few months, I got T-Boned and totalled the vehicle. My wife urged me to buy a taller vehicle and I eneded up with the RX.

I am dissapointed with quality of my 2010 RX-350 and I beginning to really dislike it, I'll still buy a Lexus but I wish the wait for a more powerful hatchback will not be that long down the road!
Old 06-07-12, 06:59 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^ get the new ES 300h.
Old 06-07-12, 10:01 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Originally Posted by markrivers
^ get the new ES 300h.
I just might Bro! I like the new design - it does not look like a grandma/pa ride anymore!
Old 06-08-12, 04:17 AM
Irishpilot
Driver School Candidate

Grossly Underpowered? No. Our previous commuter car (live in the DC area) was a Honda Civic Hybrid. The Honda makes the CT seem like a formula racer ;-) The CT is what it is...a very comfortable, technology advanced, extremely economical and fun car to drive. We have speed cameras and lots of cops with radar in the area so while owning a car that can go from 0 to 100 in a couple of seconds is interesting...it is not realistic for this area. With the average commute being one hour each way and the average speed over that hour being 40 mph...the CT is king of the commute! And, did I mention it was fun to drive... ;-)
Old 06-08-12, 04:45 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Coming from powerful sports cars and my IS-F, yes this is under-powered but you have to put it in perspective.

As with any physics there is a trade-off, no such thing as a free lunch.

This is my wife's primary commuter and she loves it. I have grown to like it too since I'll drive it on her off days and I love the seats, interior, and wagon type configuration to hold all my stuff (put 4 rims/tires in there easily)

It's a great all-around car that costs barely $30 to fill and gets a range of 450+ (simply amazing). I'm sure Lexus can throw in other motors but once the MPG dips into the 20-30 range then it kinda defeats the purpose of having this car.

If I want a FAST wagon I'll get the E63 AMG but it will definitely kill my bank account in the initial cost + gas cost, in this economy, no way! CT200h is the winner
Old 06-11-12, 04:30 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyc13
I agree with you for the most part (except the underpowered part, it all depends on what you are comparing it to). The CT was designed for high MPG's as you said, which in turn requires a gas engine with a smaller displacement. Making the CT a hybrid with a 2.5 liter enginer and we won't get this great mileage and I wouldn't own one. It is what it is and yes, it REALLY sucks at times when I punch it to accelerate and it just doesn't move like I want it to!

I agree, having 2 variants would be a GREAT idea!

I had a dealership loaner yesterday and I was in a 2012 RX450h. Holy smokes, that thing pulls! I had to google how many HP it had, 295 HP! Very quick off the line, defininitely didn't feel like a hybrid (but also never saw over 25 MPG either)...
The Camry gets almost the same mileage , so with a lighter smaller car it should replicate our current mileage no problems , maybe better. Not as under powered. I love the car I'm older now so maybe that's it.
I'm also wondering if the Camry-es350 hybrid would jack to cost up. I'm guessing its a logical next step. I am not clamoring for one and I AGREE wholeheartedly the F-Sport and SE have it all over the base model for handling.
Power and torque = lousy mileage. This car could use about 20more hp and 30 ft lbs of torque ...its would be outstanding then in all aspects , but again you get easily used to the power. I think its kinda fun to drive you have to predict earlier when to step on it. Keeps you more engaged. Ego aside.

Quick Reply: Do you feel your CT is grossly underpowered?