CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Faced with a potential long commute, my wife is looking at hybrids: Prius vs. CT200h

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-12, 03:52 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Faced with a potential long commute, my wife is looking at hybrids: Prius vs. CT200h

So we all know the price of gas is on the rise and here in CA we should hit $5.00 pretty soon….we never really were concerned much since both of us had very easy short commutes.

Now she might be facing a much longer drive (50 miles each way) so we talked about selling one of our SUV’s for a hybrid. Of course the Prius is the first name to come up and we went to test drive one. Nice car but certainly not cheap for what it is.

My neighbor and college buddy recently ditched his GS400 for a SFP CT200h and I was pleasantly surprised how nice it looks and the awesome MPG.

Besides the MPG factor why did you guys pick this car? I can’t imagine it was for the performance side given the measly 138hp. He has the f-sport package which is mainly for looks but just curious why some of you switched to this car?

Is the price comparable to the Prius if we get a good deal?

Thanks
rick
Old 03-09-12, 05:01 PM
Matt_RN
Banned for Life

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The fit and finish of Lexus is worlds beyond Toyota. It's not just a glorified Toyota as many would think (the people who usually lay claim to this have never owned a Lexus).

I picked the CT 200h because of its aggressive and sleek styling, excellent MPG, and excellent fit and finish, combined with Toyota reliability.
Old 03-10-12, 06:53 AM
VSL-F
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick,

I think you and your wife will be much happier with the fit and finish of the CT. Honestly, it just feels really well built and solid. I bought my wife a SFP CT F-sport Special Edition and we both love the car. I can tell you from test driving both the non Fsport and Fsport models that there is a difference in the driving experience. The Fsport does handle better in my opinion. It wasn't something that my wife cared about (she just liked the looks better), but it was something that I noticed when driving both models, and thus it was worth the extra money to me. Anyway, Fsport or not, the CT has been a great car so far and I just don't think a Prius will be able to give you the same driving experience (I'm referring to handling, not speed performance). Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-12, 05:44 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on what she wants. Prius is perfect for what it does and they are bringing out a small sporty version soon. Not sure I'd want my wife driving it because of the size , but I haven't seen it yet. The ct200h is fun to drive mine is an f-sport special edition so it handles even better.

Gas mileage prius does better.......I'd tell you to also check out the new camry loaded its the same money pretty much it has more power a little less gas mileage not as nimble and a rather bland look but its bigger and has lots of pluses.
Want lexus service and build quality then the choice is clear. The camry would be one i'd look hard at too.
Old 03-11-12, 04:52 PM
dblugoose
Driver School Candidate

hey rick,

the prius definitely gets better MPG because its lighter and stuff so if you are thinking about that long commute, it makes a big difference. I chose the lexus like others here because it just looks so much better and the quality is amazing. You can't say its a glorified toyota because it can't even compare in terms of luxury and fit/finish. Thats like saying audi is a gloried VW. I mean there are similarities but in the end, you're driving a LEXUS. While the exterior is definitey different in the CT, the interior was where I fell in love. It doesn't feel like you're driving a hybrid. The seats are super comfortable and material is great. The back seats can be kinda cramped though. I am the only driver so i dont mind, but the prius has alot of space.

Another reason for ct for me was that the Prius is just soooo common. Every 10 cars I'll see a Prius, Camry, or BMW 3 series. I live in so cal.

Last edited by dblugoose; 03-11-12 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Add
Old 03-11-12, 05:08 PM
DBV1
Driver School Candidate

We have looking at the same two cars - Prius in the Five Series and CT200h. Love the interior and seats of the CT200h and also the way it drives. Only thing I dislike is the room in the back seat and bigger trunk space. The Prius seems to more room and would be a better backseat for our 11 year old son. Would much rather purchase the CT200h if it were not for that.

I agree that the CT200h does not feel like a hybrid.
Old 03-11-12, 07:58 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

We are in the same boat with the gas prices. We researched both cars and drove them several times at different dealers. Ct is more lux and more solid and liked it, so did the wifey. However, it feels much smaller than the prius inside and she even hit her head when getting into the CT. The hatch is smaller too.

We ended up buying a 2012 Prius yesterday mainly because she liked the bigger size of the car and she is the one driving it. We both liked the lux factor of the CT but she just wanted the bigger car. If the CT was the same size as the Prius we would have gotten it. It all depends on what you are needing in the car as to which one to get. As there are pluses to each, and minuses.
Old 03-12-12, 07:06 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DBV1
We have looking at the same two cars - Prius in the Five Series and CT200h. Love the interior and seats of the CT200h and also the way it drives. Only thing I dislike is the room in the back seat and bigger trunk space. The Prius seems to more room and would be a better backseat for our 11 year old son. Would much rather purchase the CT200h if it were not for that.

I agree that the CT200h does not feel like a hybrid.

thanks for chiming in fellas!

I went to test drive the CT yesterday and they had plenty of them on the lot. Got a feel for all the options and my sales guy was more than willing to discount the car since our family has bought like 8 cars from him over the years.

The car drivers very nice and does not feel like a hybrid. I can see why people would pick this car over the Prius just on the interior alone. The car feels solid, has decent freeway pickup and certain looks sporty.

My main gripes:

a) Interior feels cramped (I'm 6'2 and need the seat pretty far back)
b) Rear compartment is even smaller with a pretty low roof line.
c) Although this car is a hatch back the cargo space is extremely limited unless you fold the seats down. I feel like it has less space than my IS-F trunk which was already tiny!

At this point I feel the car is way too small for our growing family (1 toddler with one more coming) and will let my wife test drive it and decide. I do like the car and very impressed with the gas mileage but I've driven many Prius and it just feels like a Mercedes S-class in terms of space compared to the CR sadly.

Looks like we may go the Prius route too eventually.

Just out of curiosity have you guys compared the other Lexus H hybrid? (dunno the model) or is that not comparable either?

thanks
Old 03-12-12, 10:44 AM
HerraFrush
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm in the same predicament for me though. I have a long commute and currently using the isf daily. Tempted to pull the trigger between ct or prius. Requested the ct for a loaner when I got the f serviced. Absolutely loved the way it drove for a hybrid. Handled awesome and had decent power for a hybrid. Please post your decision, just want to see which route you took as I will probably be making that decision too.
Old 03-12-12, 10:50 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

^Sure thing will update this thread as we make a decision! This was not a planned purchase since my wife loves her RX but we'll see which direction we'll go.

We drove the new Cayenne Hybrid and that is also a super refined choice but the MPG isn't that great and much more expensive.

rick
Old 03-12-12, 10:58 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
thanks for chiming in fellas!

I went to test drive the CT yesterday and they had plenty of them on the lot. Got a feel for all the options and my sales guy was more than willing to discount the car since our family has bought like 8 cars from him over the years.

The car drivers very nice and does not feel like a hybrid. I can see why people would pick this car over the Prius just on the interior alone. The car feels solid, has decent freeway pickup and certain looks sporty.

My main gripes:

a) Interior feels cramped (I'm 6'2 and need the seat pretty far back)
b) Rear compartment is even smaller with a pretty low roof line.
c) Although this car is a hatch back the cargo space is extremely limited unless you fold the seats down. I feel like it has less space than my IS-F trunk which was already tiny!

At this point I feel the car is way too small for our growing family (1 toddler with one more coming) and will let my wife test drive it and decide. I do like the car and very impressed with the gas mileage but I've driven many Prius and it just feels like a Mercedes S-class in terms of space compared to the CR sadly.

Looks like we may go the Prius route too eventually.

Just out of curiosity have you guys compared the other Lexus H hybrid? (dunno the model) or is that not comparable either?

thanks
It's the HS250h and it's a little bigger. I'd say bascially the size of a Corolla. It's a little more upscale as it offers the ML option, AFS, HUD, front camera, PCS, Dynamic Radar CC, Lane Keep Assist, and Lane Departure Warning but it's for a different crowd. The CT is marketed towards a younger group and that's why it offers the F Sport and F SE, whereas the HS doesn't offer any F accessories nor options. The HS250 also has more power and therefore less mpg.

IMO, I'd go with the CT because you said that it's a commuter car and since you already have an IS-F, you know the Lexus experience and quality. As far as space, it seems that you plenty of other cars that can serve as a people mover and if I understand you correctly, you have one toddler with one on the way. The CT will hold the new born but the stroller might be a challenge. Also, keep in mind that the newborn will eventually grow out of the stroller and baby carrier and the CT maybe even better fit you at that point especially if you keep your cars a long time.
Old 03-12-12, 02:24 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by s4play
^Sure thing will update this thread as we make a decision! This was not a planned purchase since my wife loves her RX but we'll see which direction we'll go.

We drove the new Cayenne Hybrid and that is also a super refined choice but the MPG isn't that great and much more expensive.

rick
Give the Prius V a try. It really does have lots of room and you get the same mileage as the CT, plus you will be able to get that stroller in the back! My wife just couldn't deal with the low roof of the CT and the cramped feeling and she is only about 5'7. I'm 6'1 and it did feel too small for me too. I just wish those seats were the ones in the Prius. CT great seats.
Old 03-13-12, 12:48 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have two little boys, 4 and almost 2. we have the family hauler and then the CT. the kids ride in forward facing britax seats and have enough leg room with either me or my husband driving. i am 5-7, my husband 6-0. it is cramped, but we don't use the CT for long trips, and probably 75% of the CT's use is when i commute a few times a week for work and/or when i'm running errands without the kids.

we went from a cayenne GTS to the CT because we had already added a 7-seater to the garage. the cayenne was beautiful but pricey and terrible mpg. and we cannot stand the thought of two cars needing $100 at the gas station. the CT is the perfect second car for us, yet still big enough to take the kids in or pick them up from preschool if need be.

if you are looking for a family hauler and have no other car for that, the CT is probably not the choice for you. we have a couple of strollers and only one of them fits in the CT properly. the double we have ALMOST fits but the trunk isn't deep enough. a rear facing seat is probably a challenge too unless the person in front is short. i don't think i could have done the CT with an infant on the way unfortunately.

we considered the prius but didn't like the way it looked or drove. the CT is a looker and that is a lot of the reason i like it
Old 03-13-12, 02:25 PM
wlmngtn310
Driver

Let me keep this plain and simple:
CT200h is more modern, better to look at, and a semi-luxury vehicle.
The Prius is an eye sore, grandma/pa car, and and more ugly.
/thread
Old 03-13-12, 04:27 PM
DBV1
Driver School Candidate

True on the CT200h, but would not call the Prius an eye sore or Grandpa car. I just wish the CT200h was a little bigger in the back seat and also include back seat cupholders (seems like a no brainer) and then I would definitely be buying it. But, right now leaning towards a Prius version Five, just because of the extra space.

Originally Posted by wlmngtn310
Let me keep this plain and simple:
CT200h is more modern, better to look at, and a semi-luxury vehicle.
The Prius is an eye sore, grandma/pa car, and and more ugly.
/thread

Quick Reply: Faced with a potential long commute, my wife is looking at hybrids: Prius vs. CT200h