F sport or not? Purchase advice please

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 05:16 AM
jngjng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F sport or not? Purchase advice please

Hi everyone,

so I have put a deposit on an f sport SE that is currently being shipped over. I almost got a blue one but someone bought it as I left the dealership to think about it!
The question is, for those with the F sport, do you find that the tuned suspension and all the other performance tweaks justify the 3-4 k premium over a base premium model?
How is the handling and such?

The F sport is $38k, and the dealer offered a new 2011 base premium with audio/nav for $34k.

I'm just trying to justify the added cost of the sport package. $38k is a huge chunk of change and I started thinking of some of the other alternatives out there, like a loaded 128i (but I need 4 doors, already have a two door), or even something like a Subaru WRX STI LIMITED.

So for those with F sport, are you happy with your decision? it is definitely a really nice looking car and I would definitely pick a lexus over a subaru (I have had ZERO issues with my RX for the six years I have had it, can't say the same for the subarus I've had) but it is just a question of value for the money.
Old 11-03-11, 05:58 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Handling is much better on the SE not a 3-4k difference at that point coilovers or adding the springs and sways yourself would become cheaper. Not sure what they mean by sport tuned either. I know I drove the premium no suspension tweaks and it handles fine, but the SE is much better balanced and looks better dropped.
You also get a larger spoiler, tumi luggage, blue nuluxe seats, nicer looking grill, nicer wheels, a few other things I'm probably forgetting. Exclusivity is another 1of 900.

Gas mileage over the 128i and comparing it to a WRX STI....is not even in the same stratosphere. One's a luxury hybrid GREAT on gas .....the other a true blue gas eaten pedal masher for weekend track days. Interesting comparo's.
Lexus usually takes better care of the customer but that does depend on specific dealers.

The cars you are looking at are so different how about an Audi A3 .....then you are apples to apples almost. I looked at these two but decided on the Lexus because diesel is higher and reliability leaned me towards the SE CT. I love the looks of the A3. Lexus re-sale is better 1 of 900 will probably help that some. Lexus mpg is better too. Audi has more power...tough choice.
Old 11-03-11, 06:35 AM
jngjng
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your input Tom59.

Yes, I had some odd picks of cars, but strictly from a cash perspective. Just a question of "if I had to buy a new car, what can I get for $38k"? and the Subaru came up. Subaru is definitely a lot of car for the money, but not as refined as a Lexus. And based on my experience with the RX and my Lexus dealer, both have been awesome, the dealer extremely helpful in both service and sales so those were really strong points for me to go back to Lexus and not look at anything else.

Thanks for your information and input on the F sport. I only had the opportunity to test drive a non sport so I wanted to know from fellow Lexus owners if they felt the F sport had better handling characteristics and was worth the premium over the standard setup.
Old 11-03-11, 07:16 AM
jrhogg
Driver School Candidate

Just received our 2012 200 CT F-Sport last week in Starfire Pearl with a Black leather interior.
On the plus side, suspension provides a much firmer ride, badging and the all black interior is unique and a nice to have.
Is it worth the Premium, well to me that all about pride of ownership, if you can get your head around the additional cost it is roughly the cost to add the goodies, including the labor.
Old 11-03-11, 08:11 AM
Darienlim
Driver

Originally Posted by jngjng
Hi everyone,

so I have put a deposit on an f sport SE that is currently being shipped over. I almost got a blue one but someone bought it as I left the dealership to think about it!
The question is, for those with the F sport, do you find that the tuned suspension and all the other performance tweaks justify the 3-4 k premium over a base premium model?
How is the handling and such?

The F sport is $38k, and the dealer offered a new 2011 base premium with audio/nav for $34k.

I'm just trying to justify the added cost of the sport package. $38k is a huge chunk of change and I started thinking of some of the other alternatives out there, like a loaded 128i (but I need 4 doors, already have a two door), or even something like a Subaru WRX STI LIMITED.

So for those with F sport, are you happy with your decision? it is definitely a really nice looking car and I would definitely pick a lexus over a subaru (I have had ZERO issues with my RX for the six years I have had it, can't say the same for the subarus I've had) but it is just a question of value for the money.
YES YES YES!! Definitely go for it!! This may sounded crazy but my dealership told me that the lease payment monthly will be about the same for a 2011 CT base the same price as the 2012 CT SE! The dealer said the '12CT SE has a 7% residual value more than the '11 CT base! Sounds crazy huh? So that's how I was introduced and ended up with my '12 CT SE! No regrets since then! And it drives much better than the base for sure! It doesn't really drives like a FWD vehicle FTW!!
Old 11-03-11, 09:44 AM
Francis
Pole Position

Since you have two BMW, I don’t think you should settle with 128i may be trade in your 335i for 1M …. just saying. I don’t think you will like STI since you have 335i (perfect balance of performance and luxury). If I were you, my next car would be a hybrid something I don’t have. And if your color choice is ultrasonic blue only, then F-sport is the only way to go!
Old 11-03-11, 04:19 PM
Tom59
Intermediate

7% = 2500-2600.00 residual dollars.....then the springs/sways and wheels = an easy 3-4k. Handling is better resale should be easier.
Gray Nebula is the fastest color too.
Old 11-03-11, 04:39 PM
jngjng
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the recommendations! appreciate all the input.

Dareinlim just out of curiosity, what was the total %residual and after how many years? Just interested in seeing what Lexus believes the value of the car would be after x years.

thanks!
Old 11-03-11, 06:14 PM
Darienlim
Driver

Originally Posted by jngjng
thanks for all the recommendations! appreciate all the input.

Dareinlim just out of curiosity, what was the total %residual and after how many years? Just interested in seeing what Lexus believes the value of the car would be after x years.

thanks!
Ok, according to Lexus, the residual is 65% after 3 years. Hehe. I think it's kinda high, but hell what do I know. This is my first Lexus. Perhaps it has to do with it being Special Edition and limited production?
Old 11-04-11, 10:07 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If $ is not an issue, then get it, it's delivered with the mods installed and looks great. If I had to do it all over, I would still go w/ the base and mod it the way I did again. The F-spoiler isn't that different and I prefer the stock grill over the mesh (I had aftermarket mesh in my last car & got sick of the look).

Here's a photo of my'11 CT Premium lowered with $200 springs and aftermarket wheels that look better than the F-sport wheels IMO and you can save a good chunk of $. Just some food for thought. Everyone has different taste.

Old 11-04-11, 10:21 AM
Bane
Rookie

The F-Sport wheels are listed for $1100 MSRP, F-Sport springs are $299 MSRP, and F-Sport swaybars/bracing kit is $499 on Lexus' own website:

http://www.lexus.com/performance/#/f...iew/CT/ct200h/

When I get my car, I'll probably do what jimmyc13 suggested and build my own interpretation of a Lexus F-car
Old 11-04-11, 11:43 AM
portishead
Driver School Candidate

FWIW I'm probably going to get a base CT in Blue, and just have the F Sport Springs/Sway Bars installed after. Not really worth an extra 3-4k since I don't really care for a moonroof and the extra F Sport add ons aren't that great. I can't even tell the difference with the spoilers. The grill looks very similar. F Sport symbol on the steering wheel would be cool, but I don't think it's worth the extra cost. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a fully loaded model, but for me, it makes more financial sense to get the base model and add a couple things after.
Old 11-05-11, 06:23 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

Everybody has differing views and money is always a concern. Remember installed costs not just purchase the sways/springs you have to either pay to install them or spend the time to do it yourself. Also alignment after doing it. Then good wheels are not cheap either, but you can pick any style you like. Pro's and cons.....

Then again SPORT tuned suspension is another thing. I'm not sure what it entails presumably not a gimmick. The base model doesn't have sport tuned suspension for what it is worth. As for the grill that is personal taste I much prefer the ISF styled grill. No biggie...

I thought about both avenues too. I also knew if I chose a F-Sport with the mods I wanted I could negotiate more than a SE. You can always negotiate on , on the lot models too. Special order cars is not as easy. The SE also longterm presents a better re-sale tool.

Lexus has for years had the BEST resale in the segment. Their value holds up REALLY well. I owned a 1993 ES300 the car had 100kplus miles.....I had people arguing over it in my driveway. I let two guys drive the price up for me. I was shocked....I was asking low KBB money which drew them to it then they had to have the LEXUS. One guy started bartering with the other.....like I was not there. I honestly had to almost stop them from coming to blows. I got an extra 1k out of the car I hadn't expected. I still laugh about it ......that was a long time ago.

Some people like LEXUS......so residual is always higher to some folks.
Old 11-06-11, 04:37 AM
jimmyc13
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom59
Everybody has differing views and money is always a concern. Remember installed costs not just purchase the sways/springs you have to either pay to install them or spend the time to do it yourself. Also alignment after doing it. Then good wheels are not cheap either, but you can pick any style you like. Pro's and cons.....

Then again SPORT tuned suspension is another thing. I'm not sure what it entails presumably not a gimmick. The base model doesn't have sport tuned suspension for what it is worth. As for the grill that is personal taste I much prefer the ISF styled grill. No biggie...

I thought about both avenues too. I also knew if I chose a F-Sport with the mods I wanted I could negotiate more than a SE. You can always negotiate on , on the lot models too. Special order cars is not as easy. The SE also longterm presents a better re-sale tool.

Lexus has for years had the BEST resale in the segment. Their value holds up REALLY well. I owned a 1993 ES300 the car had 100kplus miles.....I had people arguing over it in my driveway. I let two guys drive the price up for me. I was shocked....I was asking low KBB money which drew them to it then they had to have the LEXUS. One guy started bartering with the other.....like I was not there. I honestly had to almost stop them from coming to blows. I got an extra 1k out of the car I hadn't expected. I still laugh about it ......that was a long time ago.

Some people like LEXUS......so residual is always higher to some folks.
Well said.

Wow man, I can't believe the story about your last Lexus private sale, that's awesome!

Regarding the "Sport tuned suspension", you had me curious too. Post #2 here has some info. on it:

http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lex...uspension.html
Old 11-06-11, 05:05 AM
Tom59
Intermediate

I'm sure they are upgraded struts but to what level. I'll ask my dealer probably get the usual I'll get back to you answer though.
I drove the base model for a long stint and my SE without question handles better. Sport mode supposedly firms up the steering too. I read an article on it a few days ago. So I'd imagine that helps steering feel in the base models also.
Sometimes 3-4k in upgrades is easier spread over the loans life is easier than doing it afterward. Plus the pita it can be if you do it yourself. Also the factory warranty covers mine....

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...ideo-1738.html

Last edited by Tom59; 11-06-11 at 05:09 AM.

Quick Reply: F sport or not? Purchase advice please